• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Archie Manning on Peyton's FA tour and the decision

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton? if so why?

if because of this 'tour'...........if you were him, what would you have done differently?

Probably because I see it was all about the money for him and his little "tour" kind of smacked of arrogance. Never really cared for him anyway, but now I like him less.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Probably because I see it was all about the money for him and his little "tour" kind of smacked of arrogance. Never really cared for him anyway, but now I like him less.

ok, to you it was about the money.

so if you were him, what would you have done better, done differently?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you ask me, it definitely wasn't because he wanted to win in general. He might have wanted to be the one who won it for them. He might have just wanted the money. He might have wanted offensive control. Etc. But it wasn't just for a ring. Here was the only place that was close and wanted an upgrade.

He's obviously not in Brett Favre's category, but if some of the things he did were done by Brett, he'd be loudly criticized. Brett Favre deserves his criticism, but what I mean, is everyone looked at Peyton in a different way so therefore he was able to get away with his arrogance. Yes, his play backed that up, but I didn't see anybody question his demands. I tend to look at the action, not the person in a lot of situations when deciding whether someone is to blame for something. Sometimes to me it doesn't matter who you are. Peyton is as into himself as some are but we all look at it as something different.

I don't want to criticize Peyton, because I didn't know much about him other than his football play, commercials, and media propaganda. The guy has won as much as Favre has, 1 of 2 SB appearances, but to some, he's like Joe Montana - or at least the gap between those two is marginalized. Some, if not most, have proper perspective and put their praise in the regular season. I do think people need to look at his supporting cast, so if he deserves a pass due to that, fine.

I liked the guy as much as I can like someone not on my team or from my college teams. Kind of irrelevant to me, though I know he was great and a good person.

Until Alex's benching, I was ok with it because we had no control over Peyton's decision. The benching shows even less belief in Alex than going after a HOF QB did. After Alex's benching, I retroactively wish we would have pushed harder, though that doesn't guarantee anything. I wanted them to get Manning, but was ok with their efforts. before. If they didn't want Alex, part of me thought Alex should have known directly before the offseason so he could have visited Miami earlier, Seattle, etc. - but I understand why they did it the way they did - it was smart not to burn all the bridges and go for broke, and I know Alex probably wouldn't have left anyway. Here was his best chance, but he could have had better backup plans had Manning chose here. Being a Niner fan, I'm glad they did it the way they did, both because we now know Manning didn't come here and second, I didn't want Smith in the division because I can't split loyalties in the division. Go to an AFC team, Alex, and I will hope you do well outside of head to head games and games that affect our seeding.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can I answer?

'Cause he's a butt faced jerk.

people can hate Peyton all they want, fine with me.

but can't help wonder what the reasons are? reasons other than you don't like how he looks, is a future hall-of-famer, has loads of money even before he went to Denver, etc.

specifically about his tour, i'm not so sure i'd have done it any differently? before you embark to the West coast, you're likely telling yourself lets do it all on one trip? don't want to fly back and forth?

next, we can only imagine what he goes thru physically, mentally, and emotionally for ONE teams interview? cause for sure that team is prodding hard and continually all day. now after two team interviews, i could see him being tired and wanting to go home?

if being tired and going home is perceived as arrogant, fine. that is someone's interpretation/opinion.

as far as money, you mean we wouldn't factor in money if it was us? of course we would, your contract is certainly a factor.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
people can hate Peyton all they want, fine with me.

but can't help wonder what the reasons are?

Because they pretty much could've handed him the Lombardi trophy the day he signed if he came to SF.

GO HIDE IN THE AFC SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO FACE YOUR LIL' BRUDDER YOU DOUCHE!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In all seriousness, by all accounts, Peyton has been a stand-up guy his whole career, which is rare for a figure as celebrated as he.

...but he's still a jerk ass.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo it was elway that sealed the deal.