• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone Beside Me Just Sick and Tired of SUVs?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like the 2000's were the decade of the full-length SUV's, and the 2010's belonged to the crossovers.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as I said they are not for all but for me yeah I'll drive one. More space than an SUV, better ride than an SUV in most cases, better gas mileage, and as I said SUVs just lack any originality. But this is me, at this time my need is for a vehicle that is practical for us. I don't think this is to bad. The wife likes it, we travel or did prior to global meltdown. I can take to the nursery to get our flowers and plants, I can take to Lowe's and carry 4x8 sheets of plywood in it. It's super practical for us and our long distance trips. In a few years the plan is to get the Audi A5 Cabriolet for our local trips.
2021-Honda-Odyssey-review.jpg
Copy that.
They are not for me but there are millions of them on the roads for a reason.
With an SUV I have the v8 power I want (or 2 turbo 6), room for 6-8 or plywood/sakrete, patio blocks etc., ground clearance for off roading, ability to drive through 18+ inches of snow for when I do go to New England in the winter.
My family was in an obstacle course/trail race a few years ago and it started raining. It kept raining. And raining. And raining.
When we finally got done with our wave of the event and meandered back down the road to the farmers field that was the parking we were astonished to see the field was actually part of the creek. The flowing water was halfway up my calf, so a foot deep or so where we were. We were soaked from the rain and the obstacles already so we just bailed into the Explorer. The ground clearance and all wheel drive was worth every penny at that point. I had to go up the embankment to get onto the road. Trucks and truck based SUV's were making it out. Cars, jacked up car based SUV's and minivans were not.
It was a memorable confirmation of vehicle choice at that point. You don't always need the ability to off road, but if you ever do, you better have it.
Of course lifestyles dictate choices as well. I just refuse to have any lifestyle or activity I choose to be hindered, always be prepared for the worst.
And it kept raining.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not opposed to driving any type vehicle. I have had minivans as well as a full size one. Some of those newer ones that ford has have peeked my attention. I ended up getting the wife an acadia AWD. That thing rides pretty damn nice.

Right now I am driving a 2019 jeep cherokee. v6 with 4x4. I am getting just under 29 mpg. I can't fit tons of shit in it but if I do I get the wifes.

For me, never been a honda guy but I know they have the reliability and that is something to be rated higher than looks IMO.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife drives an SQ5, which is fine, but yeah, hate driving SUVs. An RS6 is my dream car. We’ll see what those look like in 2-3 yrs when I’m serious about a new car

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GF, on my suggestion, test drove a Mini Cooper. These are great little cars. No longer a British curio, they're now built by BMW and perform like race cars.

She was in the same frame of mind about SUVs. She had a big old Mercedes M1A1 tank, but it reached the point of costing too much to keep running. She did a lot of test drives and fell in love with the Mini Clubman, the middle of the family. She's the crazy driver of the two of us, but I also love the handling and acceleration. Interior space is surprisingly good. Appointments are superb. About the same price point as an SUV.

Give a Mini a test drive. If it's not for you, it's not for you. But if it is, you've found your car.

I got the idea from a guy who sold his tech company for 35 million dollars. He's got a bunch of cars, including a Ferrari. But when he's out picking the car of the day, most often it's the Mini Cooper. It's just that good.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife drives an SQ5, which is fine, but yeah, hate driving SUVs. An RS6 is my dream car. We’ll see what those look like in 2-3 yrs when I’m serious about a new car

RS6.. I wanted an RS6 Avant in my wet dreams. The newest is a car I'll never own even used. Sad cause I love it.

So I settle for my S4 and my E63 wagon.

I had a Q5 as a loaner and did not like it, more poop (SQ5) wouldn't make me like it any more.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that, anymore, they all look about the same. Outside of the Hummer or the Jeep grill, there's nothing that stands out about any of them.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm retired and living in Delaware. Age has finally caught up with me. I don't ski anymore. The daughter is married and on her own. I don't need cargo space for strollers and bikes, or seats for every kid in the neighborhood. I drive a VW Jetta sedan. It gets me where I'm going for cheap.

As I Dad, I loved minivans. With fold-down seats and removable seats, it was easy to configure for either cargo or passengers.

I had a Chevy Blazer for a few years. Really, not as much interior as a minivan, and the most seating was 5. Even a couple of bicycles would be a stretch. What made me get rid of it was the cost of just keeping it on the road. Horrible, and I only had about 80,000 on it. I did have it for a Snowmageddon year in New England, but we get very little snow here, and I'm not looking for it ever again.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have a smaller car but changed to a SUV. Driving in traffic and when it snows and such I just feel safer in a SUV.
My ole lady drives my Avalon when it rains here in Florida for the same reason. Bigger and holds the road better than her Civic. She wants the Honda Odyssey then that is what I will buy her. She likes the size, the cargo area, they way it drives I am cool with that.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried out my launch control today.

Silly that a wagon has Launch Control.

But I'm glad it has!!

Big fun. Glad to have a head rest.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the lease runs out on the SHO I will probably get a new Explorer ST. Every other week the wife or I need room for 6 or 7.
with two kids playing travel soccer leagues, there is always extra kids and gear that need to be hauled, and I will also need to haul ass...so, a good compromise.
We bought my 13 year old daughter a 68" mirror for Christmas this week end and it wouldn't fit in the Grand Cherokee. I had to go back with my son's hand me down Explorer. Wife was pissed. Maybe she'll get the explorer and I can get the new V8 Wrangler.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just saw the new Sienna on the road yesterday it looks like the love child of an Odyssey and a Nissan Quest

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the lease runs out on the SHO I will probably get a new Explorer ST. Every other week the wife or I need room for 6 or 7.
with two kids playing travel soccer leagues, there is always extra kids and gear that need to be hauled, and I will also need to haul ass...so, a good compromise.
We bought my 13 year old daughter a 68" mirror for Christmas this week end and it wouldn't fit in the Grand Cherokee. I had to go back with my son's hand me down Explorer. Wife was pissed. Maybe she'll get the explorer and I can get the new V8 Wrangler.
My wife is the Office Manager of a Ford dealership. Once they offer some rebates/incentives on the 2021 Explorer this is what she’ll be getting. She brought it home the other night. It’s an incredible vehicle.
5832F8E1-B341-48A2-A5E9-580CDF477E14.jpeg

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife is the Office Manager of a Ford dealership. Once they offer some rebates/incentives on the 2021 Explorer this is what she’ll be getting. She brought it home the other night. It’s an incredible vehicle.
View attachment 260592
Boggles my mind why anyone would ever buy a Ford. Worse car I ever owned, I guess other had better luck

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 260592
I love the vehicle, not so much the black out rims though.
But that's the trend these days.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boggles my mind why anyone would ever buy a Ford. Worse car I ever owned, I guess other had better luck
Best vehicles I have ever owned, by a HUGE margin.
I have had trouble with Chevy, Buick and Cadillac. I have had trouble with Plymouth and Chrysler and Mazda.
My son is driving the '01 Explorer we bought new and it has now racked up 230k trouble free miles, except for an exhaust manifold gasket and a water pump.
I have had more trouble with brand new Jeeps.
Have I had trouble with older Fords or Mercury's (Mercuries?)? Sure, from the '70's and early '80's. when everything was a POS. And trouble with a Ford means you can limp it home and fix it. Trouble with a GM means call a tow truck.

A guy I work with is a huge Toyota fan and he has a '04 Tacoma he swears by. 275k trouble free miles. It has never broken down on him or needed repairs.
Except for head gaskets.
Then he goes on to tell me he has a FANTASTIC mechanic. He charges extra for oil changes, but he trusts him. Meaning more than an oil change only facility.
He has him change the timing belt every 75k miles even though it's not due until 100k. He changed the water pump twice, so it wouldn't go out and leave him stranded.
He changed the fuel pump for the same reason.
And the alternator.
And the PS pump.
He brings it in and asks his mechanic what they should do this time...

Kinda puts a different perspective on "trouble free miles" and "Has never needed any repairs".

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About a year ago the wife and I were looking into a new ride and needed something with space. But she soon landed a better job with a lot more cash that was 50 miles away so we decided to get her a Civic for MPG and reliability. Well we are again approaching that new code mode and I have always been a fan of wagon's which offer a decent ride and some cargo space. The only wagon I found appealing was the V90 but I really do not want to pay that cost at this time. While in Daytona a few weeks back a Honda Odyssey Elite pulled out in front of us and she fell in love. I thought to myself man a Mini Van really, what about guy code? Well, at 57 and no longer chasing tail guy code gets replaced with common sense and practicality. The Odyssey offers more cargo space than most full size SUVs, get's better gas mileage, comes well equipped, and they look pretty nice. We talked about this because we are both so sick and tired of all the SUVs on the road. Anyone else feel this way? Anyone own a newer Odyssey?
Tahoe for the win.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best vehicles I have ever owned, by a HUGE margin.
I have had trouble with Chevy, Buick and Cadillac. I have had trouble with Plymouth and Chrysler and Mazda.
My son is driving the '01 Explorer we bought new and it has now racked up 230k trouble free miles, except for an exhaust manifold gasket and a water pump.
I have had more trouble with brand new Jeeps.
Have I had trouble with older Fords or Mercury's (Mercuries?)? Sure, from the '70's and early '80's. when everything was a POS. And trouble with a Ford means you can limp it home and fix it. Trouble with a GM means call a tow truck.

A guy I work with is a huge Toyota fan and he has a '04 Tacoma he swears by. 275k trouble free miles. It has never broken down on him or needed repairs.
Except for head gaskets.
Then he goes on to tell me he has a FANTASTIC mechanic. He charges extra for oil changes, but he trusts him. Meaning more than an oil change only facility.
He has him change the timing belt every 75k miles even though it's not due until 100k. He changed the water pump twice, so it wouldn't go out and leave him stranded.
He changed the fuel pump for the same reason.
And the alternator.
And the PS pump.
He brings it in and asks his mechanic what they should do this time...

Kinda puts a different perspective on "trouble free miles" and "Has never needed any repairs".
could not agree more. I like a car where you don't need a fantastic mechanic