• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andre Not Happy

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre Johnson has voiced his discouragement with the current direction of the Houston Texans and will not attend OTAs or minicamps.

To this I say:

I understand his position. He is too old to go through a 2-3 year rebuild. If it takes a slow rebuild to get the Texans back to being contenders, his best days will be gone by the time they get to the playoffs again.

His current contract would cost the Texans 12 MIL in cap hit if they traded him. That option doesn't exist.

He's not going to retire. He still wants to play football.

Normally, you don't see me side with a grumpy player, especially a wide receiver, but Andre has been a consummate professional for his 10-11 year career and has two playoff appearances to show for it. Texans really do owe him better than that.

This doesn't bode well at all, IMO, for Case Keenum and TJ Yates. Andre's frustration tells me that he has no faith in the QB position, and he has played with these two. Either he doesn't believe these two can get the job done or he doesn't believe they will be given the chance to. I think it is the former. If it were the latter, he could push for them to be given the chance to play.

I think, at the end of the day, Andre will report and play for the Texans.

It is who he is.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has the right to bitch. Texans are a QB away from being a competitive football team.

I've always liked Johnson, especially after his fight with Cortland Finnegan.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has the right to bitch. Texans are a QB away from being a competitive football team.

I've always liked Johnson, especially after his fight with Cortland Finnegan.

I agree. Especially when you consider he has never bitched and been in the league over 10 years even with David Carr and Matt Schaub as his QB.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre Johnson has voiced his discouragement with the current direction of the Houston Texans and will not attend OTAs or minicamps.

To this I say:

I understand his position. He is too old to go through a 2-3 year rebuild. If it takes a slow rebuild to get the Texans back to being contenders, his best days will be gone by the time they get to the playoffs again.

His current contract would cost the Texans 12 MIL in cap hit if they traded him. That option doesn't exist.

He's not going to retire. He still wants to play football.

Normally, you don't see me side with a grumpy player, especially a wide receiver, but Andre has been a consummate professional for his 10-11 year career and has two playoff appearances to show for it. Texans really do owe him better than that.

This doesn't bode well at all, IMO, for Case Keenum and TJ Yates. Andre's frustration tells me that he has no faith in the QB position, and he has played with these two. Either he doesn't believe these two can get the job done or he doesn't believe they will be given the chance to. I think it is the former. If it were the latter, he could push for them to be given the chance to play.

I think, at the end of the day, Andre will report and play for the Texans.

It is who he is.

Doesn't seem as if he is particularly enthused about Fitzpatrick either.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't seem as if he is particularly enthused about Fitzpatrick either.

Agreed. But he's never played with Fitzpatrick. He has with the other two.

Fitz could still come in and win him over. The other two have had their chance.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he has seen plenty of Fitzpatrick to have a solid opinion of his abilities. Mallett is still the wild card that is out there

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he has seen plenty of Fitzpatrick to have a solid opinion of his abilities. Mallett is still the wild card that is out there

I just don't see them getting Mallett this year. Why trade away a draft pick for a guy you can sign without compensation a year from now?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well hard to feel sorry for Johnson when Takeo Spikes never even went to the playoffs from 98 to 12.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's understandable. The Texans, in my opinion, should have taken a quarterback. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care. He's never had a top level quarterback to throw to him, and now he never will as a Texan.

I hope Clowney proves me wrong, but I just don't see him being a dominant, fire-breathing defensive force. And Johnson is going to go through another year like last year, offensively. I don't blame him for being frustrated.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texan defense is going to be unbelievable, but won't matter when they are losing because their QB completes more passes to the other team than his own WR's. At least Foster has some control over his production, but Andre can't throw the ball to himself.

I'd be pissed if I were him as well. At least use the #1 pick in the 2nd to get a QB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
At least use the #1 pick in the 2nd to get a QB.

You shouldn't force a QB pick if you don't like what you have to choose from so I don't blame the Texans for not forcing a pick.

One of the worst things you can do is force a pick on a QB and spin your wheels a couple of years hoping he works out and wasting a few seasons when you finally have to give up on a guy.

I mean look at how many years the Jags and Vikes wasted on Gabbert and Ponder hoping they would pan out and never did.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans head coach Bill O'Brien is still trying to get Ryan Mallett from the Patriots. Mallett spent three years learning from one of the best quarterbacks ever to play in the NFL. He just might be the quarterback answer for the Texans and a trade to the Texans that included Andre Johnson would be god send to Johnson. I don't think Tom Brady would be very upset either.Johnson and the Texans 2015 fourth round pick for Mallett and the Patriots second or third round pick. No one can help the Texans with the cap hit.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans head coach Bill O'Brien is still trying to get Ryan Mallett from the Patriots. Mallett spent three years learning from one of the best quarterbacks ever to play in the NFL. He just might be the quarterback answer for the Texans and a trade to the Texans that included Andre Johnson would be god send to Johnson. I don't think Tom Brady would be very upset either.Johnson and the Texans 2015 fourth round pick for Mallett and the Patriots second or third round pick. No one can help the Texans with the cap hit.

How do we know this?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait why are they hooked that big against that cap with a trade?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You shouldn't force a QB pick if you don't like what you have to choose from so I don't blame the Texans for not forcing a pick.

One of the worst things you can do is force a pick on a QB and spin your wheels a couple of years hoping he works out and wasting a few seasons when you finally have to give up on a guy.

I mean look at how many years the Jags and Vikes wasted on Gabbert and Ponder hoping they would pan out and never did.

Good point. And it's not at all clear to me that Bortles or Bridgewater is a lock to succeed in the NFL.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant blame Johnson. At this point in his career, all he wants is a shot to win and the Texans took a few steps back. I think he wants to force a trade somehow.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go get mallet, mike glennon, kirk cousins(not great option), heck trade for vick, freeman, sanchez

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a massive player friendly contract that almost cripples the team.
He now whines.
True colors.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's understandable. The Texans, in my opinion, should have taken a quarterback. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care. He's never had a top level quarterback to throw to him, and now he never will as a Texan.

I hope Clowney proves me wrong, but I just don't see him being a dominant, fire-breathing defensive force. And Johnson is going to go through another year like last year, offensively. I don't blame him for being frustrated.

On topic...I can't blame Johnson either.

Hard to say HOU made a mistake taking the best talent on the board...On paper Clowney, Watt, and Nix looks outstanding... But, imo schemes matter a lot in the NFL and their current 3-4 scheme doesn't seem ideal for Clowney to be the best player he can be...not big enough for a 3-4 DE, and not used to playing in space as an 3-4 OLB is required to do. Sure, he can add 20 lbs and play a 3-4, but will he be the same player? idk.

The word we here in ATL is HOU wanted two #1s and there was no market for that. So they more or less said we're not doing a deal for less than that and to not look stupid by leaving picks on the table for another team to reap, they took Clowney.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they are trying to get him from the Patriots because he has been learning from Tom Brady. They are trying to get him as he spent time in Bill O'Brien's offense when he was with the Patriots. They don't seem to be trying too hard though so my guess is O'Brien knows Mallet is not a true franchise quarterback at this time.