• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And The Woods Knob Gobbling Begins.......

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do follow Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do follow Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson.

Phil did have a nice joke/shot and Kuchar and his caddie fiasco while he was driving down Magnolia Lane

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. It takes athleticism to create the physical exertion required to maneuver a golf club at the speed and precision required. There’s perhaps no other sport that requires training the tension and strength necessary from head to toe to hit a golf ball at the professional level.

I remember not long ago, during one of the pro-ams, with the super slo-mo they were showing the clubhead & ball through moment of impact. The difference between the pros and even the low handicap amateurs was like night & day. The club head was perfectly steady and smooth with the pro's shots, but it seemed to be wobbling all around through the impact zone with the amateurs. It was an eye-opener.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember not long ago, during one of the pro-ams, with the super slo-mo they were showing the clubhead & ball through moment of impact. The difference between the pros and even the low handicap amateurs was like night & day. The club head was perfectly steady and smooth with the pro's shots, but it seemed to be wobbling all around through the impact zone with the amateurs. It was an eye-opener.

Exactly. What's crazy is what happens post impact. If you watch the pros club face it will remain square to the target well after impact. I have a +.03 handicap and compress the ball quite well, and I still struggle with not allowing the toe of the club to flip over right after impact. It's crazy how much compression tour players create keeping the club head stabilized post impact without flipping their hands.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molinari's ball striking was shaky all day. He saved himself with some great putting. he looked nothing like he did on Friday and Saturday. He looked nervous.
Koepka was the big disappointment to me. The double on #2 and the double on #12 were inexcusable. That's 5 shots thrown away right there

Molinari...agreed...I kept saying his driver was shaky...missing l & r, for a touring pro, that’s bad, you know something is up...if anybody I thought he would overcome the Tiger effect and not go backwards...he’s played well on some big stages...wind was up Sun, but it was still a soft golf course...74 was a bad number....water holes got him.

Koepka...although my pre tourney pick was Rory, I tend to agree...left on 2 is a bad miss, where he hit it, 6 is a good score. I thought he had to post 13 and give TW less margin for error...iirc he miss the putt low...regardless it never threaten the hole....disappointing for a player of his caliber.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Finau hit the same club for exactly the reason you said, he hits it further than Molinari. He thought how hard ad far he hits it would cut through the wind. He had confidence in the club so he struck the shot. Didn't work out. But you are correct when you see a player drop it in the drink like that one would think you'd play safe and aim for the middle of the green, regardless if you were ahead or behind UNLESS it was the last hole and you were down 1 and needed a birdie.. This is the Masters. Anything is capable of happening... Look at Speith and his troubles on what 15 a few years back?

Yeah, but that plus distance is mostly in the longer clubs...Tiger said he noticed Koepka go in while they were on 11 green and he was pretty sure he hit 9...Finau either wasn’t paying any attention or thought he could hit a fading 9i in there...At worst, if you’re going to stay with 9i, I think you have to change your line and let the bunker be your friend...I understand, it’s one of the toughest holes on the course, and has ended many a Masters chances...my issue with Finau is he was forewarned.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the pleasure of golfing with Rickie Fowler at a pro-am a few years ago and was amazed at how far he could drive a golf ball. He was really a down to earth type of guy and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. He is a credit to the PGA.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit 80% of greens in reg for the week, a full 10% higher than the next best in the field. That's how he was able to win. He's the best irons player of all time, his distance control is impeccable. If he could put at an elite level again, he'd be winning going away again.
He did hit some good iron shots but his round yesterday was run of the mill 70. Just played smarter than everyone else and got very lucky each time his tee ball was in the trees.
He'll win another Major this year barring injury because he plays smarter than the other guys and manages courses better

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but that plus distance is mostly in the longer clubs...Tiger said he noticed Koepka go in while they were on 11 green and he was pretty sure he hit 9...Finau either wasn’t paying any attention or thought he could hit a fading 9i in there...At worst, if you’re going to stay with 9i, I think you have to change your line and let the bunker be your friend...I understand, it’s one of the toughest holes on the course, and has ended many a Masters chances...my issue with Finau is he was forewarned.
That's it exactly. If you hit it at the bunker there is no way you are going in the water.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the pleasure of golfing with Rickie Fowler at a pro-am a few years ago and was amazed at how far he could drive a golf ball. He was really a down to earth type of guy and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. He is a credit to the PGA.
Nice! I got to play with Jerry Kelly in a Pro Am years ago and he was so nice and so funny. Our other group got Billy Mayfair and they said he introduced himself at the beginning of the round and never spoke another word to them.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at all the people hitting it into the drink on 17 on the TPC island green... How many times has one player gone in the drink and then the following player or 3rd guy in group hit it into the drink

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Sergio.
I don't like Garcia but I'm OK with Poulter. I read somewhere that he gives a larger share of his winnings to charity than any other guy on the Euro Tour. I like that.

Reactions: GNG

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all the people hitting it into the drink on 17 on the TPC island green... How many times has one player gone in the drink and then the following player or 3rd guy in group hit it into the drink
Different though with #12 at Augusta. You don't have to be as precise. You just hit it long if nothing else and the worst you can make is 4. Guys make 3 all the time from the back of the green. Or you hit it at the middle of the green like Baldy did and its not possible to go in the lake because of the bunker. You just cannot mess with that right side of the green on Sunday. The pin is over there for a reason.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different though with #12 at Augusta. You don't have to be as precise. You just hit it long if nothing else and the worst you can make is 4. Guys make 3 all the time from the back of the green. Or you hit it at the middle of the green like Baldy did and its not possible to go in the lake because of the bunker. You just cannot mess with that right side of the green on Sunday. The pin is over there for a reason.

No doubt but things happen. Especially in a pressure packed tournament on a Sunday like The Masters

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt but things happen. Especially in a pressure packed tournament on a Sunday like The Masters
That's the difference between Baldy and the other contenders yesterday. He played smart and they took unnecessary risks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did hit some good iron shots but his round yesterday was run of the mill 70. Just played smarter than everyone else and got very lucky each time his tee ball was in the trees.
He'll win another Major this year barring injury because he plays smarter than the other guys and manages courses better

Sub 70 was out there so I agree it wasn’t a terrific round of golf by Woods...he actually had chances to take control early but didn’t...but he did have some moments that made you think it was 2001 instead of 2019.

Reality...Molinari did his share, but TW had to make some shots to win it...the 2 putt from the back of the green down two tiers was exceptional...that probably gets 3jacked on Sunday about 60% of the time. Of course the shot on 16...some balls stayed up there not much farther right than his ball but clearly knew where to hit it and was a great result and that was the dagger.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sub 70 was out there so I agree it wasn’t a terrific round of golf by Woods...he actually had chances to take control early but didn’t...but he did have some moments that made you think it was 2001 instead of 2019.

Reality...Molinari did his share, but TW had to make some shots to win it...the 2 putt from the back of the green down two tiers was exceptional...that probably gets 3jacked on Sunday about 60% of the time. Of course the shot on 16...some balls stayed up there not much farther right than his ball but clearly knew where to hit it and was a great result and that was the dagger.
Tiger's distance control is arguably the best in the PGA. He put shots right on the pin quite often.