• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And The Woods Knob Gobbling Begins.......

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all the people hitting it into the drink on 17 on the TPC island green... How many times has one player gone in the drink and then the following player or 3rd guy in group hit it into the drink

17 TPC is a different animal...12 gives you a bail out...he didn’t have to shoot at the pin is my point...you just can’t get wet there after seeing the leader dunk it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the difference between Baldy and the other contenders yesterday. He played smart and they took unnecessary risks.

Very true. He hit more 3 woods than he normally does and it paid off

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger's distance control is arguably the best in the PGA. He put shots right on the pin quite often.

I thought he did a great job of managing the water holes and that’s really key on Sunday at AN. Just about everyone else in contention got bit going through there.

AN is really about iron play imo and I agree TW was the best approach player this week and when he was in his peak prime (‘99-‘00) 150 and in he was clearly the best in the world and he could take it from course to course.

IDK if that’s the case now. This is a different test at Beth Page will be interesting to see how he fares there coming off the win.

Reactions: GNG

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different though with #12 at Augusta. You don't have to be as precise. You just hit it long if nothing else and the worst you can make is 4. Guys make 3 all the time from the back of the green. Or you hit it at the middle of the green like Baldy did and its not possible to go in the lake because of the bunker. You just cannot mess with that right side of the green on Sunday. The pin is over there for a reason.

Anything but. You've got to be much more precise with your distance on #12 at Augusta. It's not AS penal as #17 at Sawgrass, but I'd argue it's a harder par 3. It's not so simple just to hit the middle of the green. It's an extremely narrow hour glass shaped green that's tough to judge the distance. The wind swirls over that water and leaves you second guessing your club selection, it's also slightly downhill. Going at the flag got Koepka, Molinari, Finau and Poulter. Like you said though, it's asking for you to go in the water. You always aim it over the bunker. Did you know though there's never been an ace there in the Masters? That speaks to it's difficulty for such a short par 3.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sub 70 was out there so I agree it wasn’t a terrific round of golf by Woods...he actually had chances to take control early but didn’t...but he did have some moments that made you think it was 2001 instead of 2019.

Reality...Molinari did his share, but TW had to make some shots to win it...the 2 putt from the back of the green down two tiers was exceptional...that probably gets 3jacked on Sunday about 60% of the time. Of course the shot on 16...some balls stayed up there not much farther right than his ball but clearly knew where to hit it and was a great result and that was the dagger.
I thought that was a guaranteed 3-putt. He did say though in practice rounds he hit that putt about 30 times. He had the bases covered. I think Molinari shot 74 or 75 and to me that is unacceptable the way the back nine is set up for scoring. I think he was 3 or 4 over just on the back yesterday.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was a guaranteed 3-putt. He did say though in practice rounds he hit that putt about 30 times. He had the bases covered. I think Molinari shot 74 or 75 and to me that is unacceptable the way the back nine is set up for scoring. I think he was 3 or 4 over just on the back yesterday.
Molinari's nerves got the better of him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything but. You've got to be much more precise with your distance on #12 at Augusta. It's not AS penal as #17 at Sawgrass, but I'd argue it's a harder par 3. It's not so simple just to hit the middle of the green. It's an extremely narrow hour glass shaped green that's tough to judge the distance. The wind swirls over that water and leaves you second guessing your club selection, it's also slightly downhill. Going at the flag got Koepka, Molinari, Finau and Poulter. Like you said though, it's asking for you to go in the water. You always aim it over the bunker. Did you know though there's never been an ace there in the Masters? That speaks to it's difficulty for such a short par 3.
Could be but I'd rather have 12 than 17 with the tourney on the line. Its an easy up and down from the back on 12 with the pin on the right. At Saw Grass there is no bailout. Long, short, left or right, its in the drink and you got a double. Even when on the green its a three putt if you don't hit the correct part of the green. There is no safe shot on 17 at the Players but middle of the green, even if its short or long will get you a par almost every time on 12 at Augusta.
Seems you never see a ball in the water on 12 except for Sunday when the pin is on the right. At 17 you see bunches of them every day no matter where the pin is.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molinari's nerves got the better of him.
Agreed. I expected a lot more from him. I knew Finau would choke but I thought Molinari would hold up; especially with a two shot lead and Baldy only shooting 70.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be but I'd rather have 12 than 17 with the tourney on the line. Its an easy up and down from the back on 12 with the pin on the right. At Saw Grass there is no bailout. Long, short, left or right, its in the drink and you got a double. Even when on the green its a three putt if you don't hit the correct part of the green. There is no safe shot on 17 at the Players but middle of the green, even if its short or long will get you a par almost every time on 12 at Augusta.
Seems you never see a ball in the water on 12 except for Sunday when the pin is on the right. At 17 you see bunches of them every day no matter where the pin is.

I've played 17 at Sawgrass several times. There's just so much more surface area to aim for. When it's calm, it's not a hard shot at all. But if the wind is blowing, then yes I'd rather play 12 than 17. It's a complete mind fuck standing on 17 when the wind is swirling, and the wind does pick up over that water on that part of the course. You'll change clubs 2 or 3 times and still have no clue how hard to swing.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That surprises me.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played 17 at Sawgrass several times. There's just so much more surface area to aim for. When it's calm, it's not a hard shot at all. But if the wind is blowing, then yes I'd rather play 12 than 17. It's a complete mind fuck standing on 17 when the wind is swirling, and the wind does pick up over that water on that part of the course. You'll change clubs 2 or 3 times and still have no clue how hard to swing.
I've never had the pleasure but if so many pros hit it in the drink every tournament; it can't be easy. You'd think hitting a wedge or nine they'd get on the green every time so it must be psychological. And of course the pressure.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldy was the only one smart enough to take the water out of play by hitting in the middle of the green where the bunker would protect any short shot from going back in the water.

not going to argue about the above quote…that right side of #12 pin placement can be had, one just has to long if anything and not short.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember not long ago, during one of the pro-ams, with the super slo-mo they were showing the clubhead & ball through moment of impact. The difference between the pros and even the low handicap amateurs was like night & day. The club head was perfectly steady and smooth with the pro's shots, but it seemed to be wobbling all around through the impact zone with the amateurs. It was an eye-opener.

s3-news-tmp-90538-captain-obvious-skipping-hed-2016--default--652.png

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big John would crush you any golf course in the world.

And before you tell me he would do the same to me, I never claimed to be a 4 handicap and 5 time club champion. I didn't swing a golf club til I was in my 30's.
Of course he would beat me. He's a pro and I'm an amateur.