• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An explanation of the calls by the refs in the Packer/Lion's game

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teelers president Dan Rooney said NFL owners "weren't that enthusiastic" about implementing the new pass interference review system, but they agreed to a one-year trial because of the competition committee's recommendation.
The owners' instincts were correct, but they don't deserve any credit because they still implemented the broken system. This year, teams have tried to challenge pass interference calls, but the referees have upheld the ruling on the field almost every single time. Simply put, the new system is wasting everybody's time. Rooney also said the increase in penalties is an NFL "concern" and most fans would agree. There will likely be a lot of rule change discussions at next year's NFL meetings.
The only reason PI became reviewable in the first place was because Sean Payton was on the rules committee. It has shown to be a complete waste of time because the people in NYC are afraid or just unwilling to overturn most calls.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teelers president Dan Rooney said NFL owners "weren't that enthusiastic" about implementing the new pass interference review system, but they agreed to a one-year trial because of the competition committee's recommendation.
The owners' instincts were correct, but they don't deserve any credit because they still implemented the broken system. This year, teams have tried to challenge pass interference calls, but the referees have upheld the ruling on the field almost every single time. Simply put, the new system is wasting everybody's time. Rooney also said the increase in penalties is an NFL "concern" and most fans would agree. There will likely be a lot of rule change discussions at next year's NFL meetings.

They need to change a lot more than that but it’s a little start

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your shoulder bones connected to your neck bone and your neck bones connected to your face bone so let's call the whole thing off

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't they just use a timeout if that was their goal? It'd seemingly be a use of a timeout in this scenario.

I'm thinking a review might last longer than a 30 second timeout.

Especially if the coach throws the red flag, has a 30 second discussion on what they can challenge, then asks for a review on something random. Sure, they would burn the timeout, but I'm guessing they get way more than the 30 seconds they should have gotten for just calling the timeout in the first place.

I could be dead wrong on this, but I'm sure they would find ways to milk time during a review process.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

With all the rule changes every year the NFL should add an inadvertant flag. A dumbass official that throws a flag for holding that occurred 30 yards away from the play NEEDS to be picked up.
I swear the vast majority of holds and blocks in back in KOs are irrelevant to the play.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear the vast majority of holds and blocks in back in KOs are irrelevant to the play.
Agreed.
I was just thinking that before I read your post. A call on the other side of the field. It's ridiculous. Maybe they need fewer refs who would have to focus on the ball area.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Booger should be kicked out of the booth for rabble rousing and biased commentary.

I don't know about that but he was driving me nuts all night. He never shuts up. With the Pack down 6 inside the Lions 10 before half, he said "If the Packers score a TD here the Lions will be down going into halftime".. well, gee thanks for that analysis, Booger. He knows is stuff ok but he really needs an editor.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s cute how all you division foes stick together against the big ol meanie Packers.

OndD.gif

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bakari sold both.

Officials got it dead wrong.

However, I don't 100% blame the officials( probably 30%). It is something my father thought me a while ago.

DON'T BLAME THE REFS IF YOU CAN'T STOP THEM.

One stop. That is all they needed.

But they did stop them on the first bogus call. What does/did your father say about that?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first one was BS too and I haven't heard a decent explanation for why they now claim that it wasn't. Maybe they need to change the rule for clarity. What exactly encompasses is "the neck area" anyway ? His hand seemed to clearly be on his shoulder pad in both cases.

They're trying to save face.
Admit to the one that only cost 3 points. They don't want to swallow the 7 point as well.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that but he was driving me nuts all night. He never shuts up. With the Pack down 6 inside the Lions 10 before half, he said "If the Packers score a TD here the Lions will be down going into halftime".. well, gee thanks for that analysis, Booger. He knows is stuff ok but he really needs an editor.

I didn't know telling the truth was considered rabble rousing in Wisconsin.

Booger is a former defensive lineman who sees the game almost exclusively from a defensive lineman's perspective. If anything happens outside of that perspective, it is outside of his analysis scope and he therefore spits brainless cliches or nauseating player cheerleading as "analysis" filler. It was just as nauseating that he wouldn't shut up about the "positive impact of the Packers' two new Smiths" as it was about him emphatically repeating himself that a fellow defensive lineman got screwed by a penalty - twice.

Booger's defensive lineman mindset emphatically went off on the "injustice" and triggered an entire fan base and unattached football fans watching the game into a frenzy. If it was Joe Thomas or Ed Hochuli sitting in the booth with the mic instead of Booger, you can bet the analysis would've been much different and this thread would not exist.