• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

BEST FREE AGENTS

1. J.C. Jackson(6)
  2. Stephon Gilmore (15)
  3. Carlton Davis (16)
  4. Casey Hayward Jr. (25)
  5. Darious Williams (36)
  6. Steven Nelson (45)
  7. Charvarius Ward (47)
  8. D.J. Reed Jr. (48)
  9. Bryce Callahan (66)
  10. Donte Jackson (76)
This offseason doesn’t offer the strongest group of free-agent cornerbacks in recent memory, but there is an interesting group of players that have succeeded to varying degrees. This year also seems to offer some quality on the older side of things, giving teams potential upgrades if they are willing to gamble that Father Time can be held at bay for another year.

Jackson is the star of the free-agent cornerback group, and as such, it seems unlikely that the New England Patriots will ever let him hit the open market. Jackson has had elite coverage numbers throughout his NFL career, and his PFF coverage grade has steadily improved to meet those numbers. For his career, Jackson has allowed a 50.5 passer rating when targeted, and he is coming off an 80.4 coverage grade.

In Carolina, Gilmore showed that he still has some gas left in the tank, but a cornerback specializing in man-to-man coverage at 31 years old will scare teams, so his market is likely short-term deals only.

Davis is the other corner who fits the prototype that teams are looking for, but he also has youth on his side. A former second-round draft pick, Davis has been a solid yet unspectacular starter for Tampa Bay. He has 45 pass breakups over the last three seasons including the playoffs, but his best PFF coverage grade in that time is 72.1.

Williams and Reed offer teams an opportunity to potentially snag overachieving coverage players if they don’t care about size. Neither fits the typical NFL cornerback mold, but both are quality players who have the ability to match up with big receivers despite the size disadvantage.

IF the above is somewhat correct, we might as well draft a CB and NB. You have to overpay to sign a FA, and you have to have young legs to play a long season. More so if you expect to reach SB, you need young legs at CB.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BEST FREE AGENTS

1. J.C. Jackson(6)
  2. Stephon Gilmore (15)
  3. Carlton Davis (16)
  4. Casey Hayward Jr. (25)
  5. Darious Williams (36)
  6. Steven Nelson (45)
  7. Charvarius Ward (47)
  8. D.J. Reed Jr. (48)
  9. Bryce Callahan (66)
  10. Donte Jackson (76)
This offseason doesn’t offer the strongest group of free-agent cornerbacks in recent memory, but there is an interesting group of players that have succeeded to varying degrees. This year also seems to offer some quality on the older side of things, giving teams potential upgrades if they are willing to gamble that Father Time can be held at bay for another year.

Jackson is the star of the free-agent cornerback group, and as such, it seems unlikely that the New England Patriots will ever let him hit the open market. Jackson has had elite coverage numbers throughout his NFL career, and his PFF coverage grade has steadily improved to meet those numbers. For his career, Jackson has allowed a 50.5 passer rating when targeted, and he is coming off an 80.4 coverage grade.

In Carolina, Gilmore showed that he still has some gas left in the tank, but a cornerback specializing in man-to-man coverage at 31 years old will scare teams, so his market is likely short-term deals only.

Davis is the other corner who fits the prototype that teams are looking for, but he also has youth on his side. A former second-round draft pick, Davis has been a solid yet unspectacular starter for Tampa Bay. He has 45 pass breakups over the last three seasons including the playoffs, but his best PFF coverage grade in that time is 72.1.

Williams and Reed offer teams an opportunity to potentially snag overachieving coverage players if they don’t care about size. Neither fits the typical NFL cornerback mold, but both are quality players who have the ability to match up with big receivers despite the size disadvantage.

IF the above is somewhat correct, we might as well draft a CB and NB. You have to overpay to sign a FA, and you have to have young legs to play a long season. More so if you expect to reach SB, you need young legs at CB.
There is some bitter irony in that list.
--JC Jackson was an undrafted FA. At least we're one of the many teams that missed on him.
--The FO has showed interest in Gilmore before. Never quite enough though.
--DJ Reed was a Niner for 2 years before we let him walk to Seattle on a minimum contract.
--The Niners could've had Carlton Davis, but we traded 2.59 (4 picks before Davis was taken) and moved up for bust, Dante Pettis.

It looks like we'll have to draft a CB and we'll likely bring in one of the aged vets to see if there's still a little gas in the tank. Along with hope that Ambry played better in year 2 than he did in year 1.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Bobby Turner as the Running Back coach and evaluator is a huge loss for the team. At least Anthony Lynn is a great replacement, but who knows how long his stop will last before he has another Head Coaching job.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Bobby Turner as the Running Back coach and evaluator is a huge loss for the team. At least Anthony Lynn is a great replacement, but who knows how long his stop will last before he has another Head Coaching job.

We only lost Bobby Turner for this season due to him getting knee surgery. Reports are that he is tentatively coming back and hasn't retired.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously very encouraging.......very........

Javon Kinlaw, the San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle selected No. 14 overall in 2020, appeared in just four games this past season before undergoing reconstructive surgery to repair his ACL. The good news is that Kinlaw's recovery seems to be going well.

The 24-year old defensive lineman spoke with Brad Graham of TheSFNiners and provided an update on his road to recovery.

"I'm feeling amazing," Kinlaw said. "Really, honest, I've had nothing but ups, no downs. Knock on wood. Everything has been progressing the right way. As far as from a health standpoint, I already feel healthier than I was last year when I was on the field, so I'm just excited to really get back out there and just be able to really showcase what a healthy Javon Kinlaw can do for this organization."

After an offseason procedure last year, things appeared to be trending well for Kinlaw. However, complications emerged and spilled over into the regular season, limiting his availability.

"I just kept having a lot of fluid build up in my knee every week," Kinlaw explained. "We would go in, try to work on it, get it flushed out. It just wouldn't respond the right way. Honestly, I did everything I could. Anybody would tell you that. I did everything I could to put myself into position to play but I just couldn't. I played hurt for so long, I was used to it. But it got to the point where I couldn't really go out there anymore.

"All in all, the rehab process has been cool, the little things I've been working on, a lot of single-leg things, just a lot of bending, that type of stuff. I already got way more knee [flexibility] than I ever had in my life. Hip flexibility—I've got more hip flexibility than I ever had in my life. The things that I do now, I've probably never been able to do in my life, so it's just really exciting."

Kinlaw registered eight tackles through four game appearances last season. That followed a rookie 2020 campaign that saw the defender record 33 tackles, three tackles for a loss, four quarterback hits, 1.5 sacks, an interception, a touchdown, and four passes defended. He's looking to prove his doubters wrong in 2022.

"People, I don't know, it just don't register to people that, 'F--k, I can't play,'" Kinlaw shared. "And when you're out there, and you're trying to do the best you can, they're like, 'Aw, he sucks. This guy sucks. That guy sucks.' Let somebody get healthy before you judge them."

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously very encouraging.......very........

Javon Kinlaw, the San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle selected No. 14 overall in 2020, appeared in just four games this past season before undergoing reconstructive surgery to repair his ACL. The good news is that Kinlaw's recovery seems to be going well.

The 24-year old defensive lineman spoke with Brad Graham of TheSFNiners and provided an update on his road to recovery.

"I'm feeling amazing," Kinlaw said. "Really, honest, I've had nothing but ups, no downs. Knock on wood. Everything has been progressing the right way. As far as from a health standpoint, I already feel healthier than I was last year when I was on the field, so I'm just excited to really get back out there and just be able to really showcase what a healthy Javon Kinlaw can do for this organization."

After an offseason procedure last year, things appeared to be trending well for Kinlaw. However, complications emerged and spilled over into the regular season, limiting his availability.

"I just kept having a lot of fluid build up in my knee every week," Kinlaw explained. "We would go in, try to work on it, get it flushed out. It just wouldn't respond the right way. Honestly, I did everything I could. Anybody would tell you that. I did everything I could to put myself into position to play but I just couldn't. I played hurt for so long, I was used to it. But it got to the point where I couldn't really go out there anymore.

"All in all, the rehab process has been cool, the little things I've been working on, a lot of single-leg things, just a lot of bending, that type of stuff. I already got way more knee [flexibility] than I ever had in my life. Hip flexibility—I've got more hip flexibility than I ever had in my life. The things that I do now, I've probably never been able to do in my life, so it's just really exciting."

Kinlaw registered eight tackles through four game appearances last season. That followed a rookie 2020 campaign that saw the defender record 33 tackles, three tackles for a loss, four quarterback hits, 1.5 sacks, an interception, a touchdown, and four passes defended. He's looking to prove his doubters wrong in 2022.

"People, I don't know, it just don't register to people that, 'F--k, I can't play,'" Kinlaw shared. "And when you're out there, and you're trying to do the best you can, they're like, 'Aw, he sucks. This guy sucks. That guy sucks.' Let somebody get healthy before you judge them."
Good news, but he still needs to prove it on the field. I remain "cautiously" optimistic.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good news, but he still needs to prove it on the field. I remain "cautiously" optimistic.
Yes, no doubt he still needs to show it, but so good to read he's not chronic ala Dee Ford.

This means they don't HAVE to look for a DT/NT in the draft, 'early' on.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[IMG alt="Hank Kingsley"]https://sportshoop.la/data/avatars/l/8/8124.jpg?1472653289[/IMG]

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated​

A friend who is a big 49ers fan said he'd heard Deebo was going to be traded?

I've seen nothing on that. Anybody? unquote

I don't know if it means anything but there was a tweet about Deebo scrubbing Niner stuff from one of his social media thingys.

That doesn't mean he is being traded but the place I saw it, said his indicated his contract is up soon so could be an agent trying to ratchet things up for a better deal in the future. Who knows may well not mean anything. I hope not cause he is fun to watch.

Edited as I forgot to quote this forum poster so copy pasted user name.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

[IMG alt="Hank Kingsley"]https://sportshoop.la/data/avatars/l/8/8124.jpg?1472653289[/IMG]

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated​

A friend who is a big 49ers fan said he'd heard Deebo was going to be traded?

I've seen nothing on that. Anybody? unquote

I don't know if it means anything but there was a tweet about Deebo scrubbing Niner stuff from one of his social media thingys.

That doesn't mean he is being traded but the place I saw it, said his indicated his contract is up soon so could be an agent trying to ratchet things up for a better deal in the future. Who knows may well not mean anything. I hope not cause he is fun to watch.

Edited as I forgot to quote this forum poster so copy pasted user name.
I think in the end we'll extend Deebo, but he and his agent should know the JG situation is delaying it. It isn't about the 49ers not willing to give him a big deal, so why play these games? What are you accomplishing besides angering the fan base?

IMO we shouldn't give him the largest WR contract with the largest guarantee. As GOOD as he is, we can't do that for a WR who isn't a true 'downfield' WR. Our passing offense will morph with Lance and we shouldn't need him to catch and run like last season.

IF another team is willing to give up a ransom, i'd certainly consider it. If we make a move with Deebo, we'd get the most value right here and now. He isn't going to repeat last season's stats, not even close.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the end we'll extend Deebo, but he and his agent should know the JG situation is delaying it. It isn't about the 49ers not willing to give him a big deal, so why play these games? What are you accomplishing besides angering the fan base?
I think Deebo and his people pressed for an extension, and the Niners told him he'd have to wait (Jimmy's deal still on the books). This social media thing is just Deebo pouting about it.

IMO we shouldn't give him the largest WR contract with the largest guarantee. As GOOD as he is, we can't do that for a WR who isn't a true 'downfield' WR. Our passing offense will morph with Lance and we shouldn't need him to catch and run like last season.

IF another team is willing to give up a ransom, i'd certainly consider it. If we make a move with Deebo, we'd get the most value right here and now. He isn't going to repeat last season's stats, not even close.
I agree. If he gets an extension, there is no way we should pay him a highest overall WR money, either in value or guarantees. If that is what his people want, then he'll be disappointed or traded.

As for a trade, it would have to be a big deal. There's talk about the Jets offering their 10th overall pick for him. That would be hard to turn down.
I'd pay for clutch. Deebo is clutch. And multifaceted. Belichick would love him.
Before you get too excited, you should wonder why the Niner FO might be a little reluctant to pay him a top 3 WR deal. In 3 years, Deebo has started 11, 5, and 15 games. Not exactly the most durable; instead, 2021 was the healthiest he's ever been (by a mile).

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not excited because I expect San Francisco to re-sign him. Just saying but I’ll take them if they don’t want them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not excited because I expect San Francisco to re-sign him. Just saying but I’ll take them if they don’t want them.
Its not about wanting him, but at what cost?

He and his agent knows that this is his best chance with those '21 stats. Problem is he won't obtain those stats again, IMO not even close. With Lance our offense will morph from giving Deebo that many touches again. We SHOULD utilize all of our weapons a little more, else why make Kittle and Juice so highly paid? We SHOULD use Aiyuk a little more downfield and to the sideline.

It will be similar (not same) to Kittle, we paid him for large stats but then we don't get it again. We know it isn't all Kittle's fault, but that is the similar idea.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's positioning by Deebo and his agent, it's pretty lame IMO. They know what's going on with JG's contract situation, and it's pretty clear that extending Deebo is a huge priority once that gets settled. Maybe they've had initial conversations and the team is signaling that he won't get a Hill/Adams type of deal or something... who knows.

He's the best skill player on the team, so outside of breaking the bank and limiting our ability to sign other players long-term, we should do everything we can to extend him. Even if it means a ton of guaranteed money over a long-term deal that "looks" similar to Hill/Adams. The minute I saw those deals, though... I was thinking "wtf does this mean for Deebo??"

I'm mostly thinking that it'll get sorted out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If it's positioning by Deebo and his agent, it's pretty lame IMO. They know what's going on with JG's contract situation, and it's pretty clear that extending Deebo is a huge priority once that gets settled. Maybe they've had initial conversations and the team is signaling that he won't get a Hill/Adams type of deal or something... who knows.

He's the best skill player on the team, so outside of breaking the bank and limiting our ability to sign other players long-term, we should do everything we can to extend him. Even if it means a ton of guaranteed money over a long-term deal that "looks" similar to Hill/Adams. The minute I saw those deals, though... I was thinking "wtf does this mean for Deebo??"

I'm mostly thinking that it'll get sorted out.
Ok i looked at this wrong, while the actual signing is waiting on JG's situation, they're negotiating now. Apparently, the negotiations are far apart and going no where, hence his social media games? I still don't think he gains anything by scrubbing his accounts, he's only angering the fan base, not gaining support.

I'm guessing it is still far apart because Deebo's team is asking to be the highest paid non-QB? I don't think Deebo has much leverage here, he must play out his last year and then there is the franchise tag. He can hold out and sit out, but not many players do this.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A report from the Fort Worth Star Telegram says that Deebo wants to be the highest paid nonQB in the league—that would mean more than Tyreek Hill. …LOL, um, no.

If Deebo is upset that the team won’t offer a contract like that, then he is living in a fantasy land and I hope he likes playing somewhere else real soon.

WRs like Adams and Hill had several seasons of PB-level production before htey got paid. So far, Deebo has ONE. And then 2 other seasons where he missed a total of 15 games. If I'm the Niners, I want to see him produce another healthy season and then MAYBE we can look at that level of contract (more likely we trade him anyway).

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports that Alex Mack still hasn’t’ committed to playing this season. Getting a little late in the year ain't it?

One would think that the team has a plan at center either way. Former Cleveland and Packer center JC Tretter is still available as a FA and he won’t effect the comp picks, so he’d be an option if Mack wants to hang them up. Going with a rookie center doesn't seem to be Kyle's thing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A report from the Fort Worth Star Telegram says that Deebo wants to be the highest paid nonQB in the league—that would mean more than Tyreek Hill. …LOL, um, no.

If Deebo is upset that the team won’t offer a contract like that, then he is living in a fantasy land and I hope he likes playing somewhere else real soon.

WRs like Adams and Hill had several seasons of PB-level production before htey got paid. So far, Deebo has ONE. And then 2 other seasons where he missed a total of 15 games. If I'm the Niners, I want to see him produce another healthy season and then MAYBE we can look at that level of contract (more likely we trade him anyway).
Agree that we can't pay him like these other All-Pro WR's, there is a limit to what we can spend on Deebo. If Deebo won't sign a reasonable contract, then i wouldn't bend to his demands. Seems to me $22-24M is more than fair looking at his career to date. There are other top 49ers players to extend/re-sign, so exercise prudent cap management.

NO ONE wants to see Deebo be traded, but now the reports are he isn't even negotiating?! If he's going to hold out and then be unhappy playing, his highest trade value is now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reports that Alex Mack still hasn’t’ committed to playing this season. Getting a little late in the year ain't it?

One would think that the team has a plan at center either way. Former Cleveland and Packer center JC Tretter is still available as a FA and he won’t effect the comp picks, so he’d be an option if Mack wants to hang them up. Going with a rookie center doesn't seem to be Kyle's thing.
I'd be ok signing JC Trotter OR letting Brunskill or Brendal play C for one year. We should be drafting a future Center anyway and i'd be thinking one of the 3rd rounders. Speaking of O-line, i'd be ok using both 3rd rounders on O-line IF necessary? Protecting Lance is key so investing in the O-line now works for me.

A rookie C is unlikely to start game 1, but he MAY be 'passable' towards the end of the season? After TC, Pre-Season games, and 'half' the regular season, he MIGHT be far enough along?