• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2574-looking-ahead-49ers-quest-sixth-super-still-promising/

I agree with this Writer, the 49ers have enough talent left to make a legit SB run. Good health to the front line players - at least BETTER health - and see no reason we can't compete. Yes, we'll need this draft class to contribute and will need Kinlaw to take a big step, but the overall talent is there. Not asking miracles from the rookie class either, but contribution is a must including role/situational/back-ups.

Other good teams have to shed good free agents too, and will have their share of Needs. At least we don't have $35-37 million on just our QB alone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

A big reason why i felt we should keep JG for this season. Everyone knows team chemistry is huge and more than a few players have backed up JG. If teammates believe in him and see him as a winner, BIG difference for the entire TEAM.

If this team is set-up to compete for the SB now, it's 'dangerous' starting off with a rookie QB. Our defense is good but we don't know if good enough to win low scoring games?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/147086-bleacher-report-names-49ers-among-most-overrated-teams/

Ok, this is fair if you project injuries again this season, but this is the same for all teams who suffer injuries.

If you project your QB as not having a good season or being injured, of course the team is 'overrated'. This is the same for all teams.

Going from Saleh to Ryans is a factor, but with the same scheme and same players, not a big factor.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, this is fair if you project injuries again this season, but this is the same for all teams who suffer injuries.

If you project your QB as not having a good season or being injured, of course the team is 'overrated'. This is the same for all teams.

Going from Saleh to Ryans is a factor, but with the same scheme and same players, not a big factor.
I don't quite get it either. IIRC, Vegas has the over/under at 10.5 wins this season. That makes good sense. Despite a nearly-unheard-of rash of injuries to our best players, we still won 6 games and just barely lost 2 others. With just half the injuries we had last year, 10 wins isn't unrealistic at all.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO no to Julio Jones.

The 49ers are a run first team (2-1), then utilize a RAC passing game off of play action. We are not a 3 WR (1-1), shotgun style passing team. So the cost to obtain Julio Jones is high and then you won't play 3 WR's enough times, poor value. The draft indicates Shannahan is even more committed to the run game going forward, to establish the pass.

As this article mentions, we have some big contracts coming up and it makes more sense to apply cap space to Warner and Bosa. Even the other players on 1 year contracts, will need much larger contracts next off season.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only way you trade for Jones is to restructure the deal as part of the trade.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jones was traded to the Titans for a 2nd round pick and a 4th which probably isn't too much. However they were probably asking g for more from NFC teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

This article sums up the reasons for not signing Julio Jones.

I still believe he has some gas left but in the overall picture, just not enough value. It isn't just the amount you pay Jones, it is the amounts you CAN'T pay others.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL Justin Skule tore his ACL and is gone for the Year and T.Moore pops his achilles and is done for at least 6 months.

The loss of Skule is rather bad news. He was reportedly the primary backup at LT and RT. So, next up at swing tackle is Shon Coleman, who hasn't played (or even practiced) in 2 years (2019 injury, 2020 opted out). Looks like Jaylon Moore might get a look at backup OT as well, even though he was drafted with OG in mind.

Moore is similar in that he was the oft-injured Tartt's backup, starting several games at S last year and playing lots of ST. That helps explain why we brought in Tony Jefferson.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/148051-calls-solomon-thomas-worst-49ers-draft-pick-since/

No surprise he's the choice.....easy choice really. But its not Solmon's fault, it falls on Shannahan/Lynch/Peterson and whomever else helped in that decision. Drafting has no guarantees but when you select that high, you don't expect to miss that badly.

Their first draft pick ever and it went bust, their second pick (Reuben Foster) also went bust. Fortunately, Kittle and DJ Jones are keeping that class from being one of the worst ever. You'd also think this regime wouldn't do well after this start, but somehow........

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm expecting a big year from Verrett

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying others will get hurt again, but you don't say this about Verret?

We ALL expect a big year from Verrett, if he plays all year?
Verrett was healthy all year last year. There are players we know will get hurt like Garapollo and Bosa because those guys have had injuries every year of their career (college and Pro), Ford as well and Kittle but we can hope for a miracle.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Verrett was healthy all year last year. There are players we know will get hurt like Garapollo and Bosa because those guys have had injuries every year of their career (college and Pro), Ford as well and Kittle but we can hope for a miracle.
Last year he was healthy but prior to last year? Not only was he hurt, but hurt for the majority of his time in the NFL. Didn't he "sit" with the 49ers for two years prior to last year? I didn't go look but think he's been injured more than healthy, while with the 49ers?

Why do i go further back for Verret? Because you're using the same justification with these other players, "(college and Pro)".

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Verrett played 1 game in 2019 and 13 in 2020, for the 49ers. But looking back further, his injury history shows that In 6 seasons he played 39 games out of a possible 96 games, or 40.6%.

JG wasn't hurt in 2019, including all of the play-off games. So in his case, i wonder about "we know he will get hurt"?

Believe it or not, percentage wise Jimmy Ward played more games than Verrett.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Fuckin' Bosa. If he ends up costing us some games with his silly anti vaxxer stuff I'll be pissed.
Touchy subject. :-)

We want to think these players already know what happens should they get COVID-19? Where are their Agents? You'd think this would be a no-brainer however LOTS of people out there still hesitating. The issue is community spread, so imagine if the last five or so guys, spread it to the team?!! The 49ers will lose games whether we play it or not.

The health risk alone is huge, but missing games hurt their direct livelyhood. There is also the potential for lingering side effects from COVID-19? More so for professional athletes, they just CAN"T afford COVID-19.......just can't.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year he was healthy but prior to last year? Not only was he hurt, but hurt for the majority of his time in the NFL. Didn't he "sit" with the 49ers for two years prior to last year? I didn't go look but think he's been injured more than healthy, while with the 49ers?

Why do i go further back for Verret? Because you're using the same justification with these other players, "(college and Pro)".
I think the 49ers will be rewarded for their patience with Verret