• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will see a massive team makeover s needed due to cap restrictions, contracts, injury, lot ot players have taken a step back or about the same.. Big C, T/G, SSpeed!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will see a massive team makeover s needed due to cap restrictions, contracts, injury, lot ot players have taken a step back or about the same.. Big C, T/G, SSpeed!!

I don't see a "massive team makeover", but yeah, players will definitely turnover. Turnover happens every season but this next one will involve a few more good players than typical. We simply can't re-sign or extend everyone we want.

If we can get lucky with the draft, then we can make another SB run. Not saying every draft pick will be come a Pro Bowler, but enough contribution to supplement this team. It could happen on the O-line by just adding one good Center? Other good teams face the same, reduced cap, and will cut good players too.

This amount of injuries can't hapen back to back seasons...can it? Then there is no more SB hangover.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A Center or Guard, who can block Joseph, Pierce, Donald, Tuitt !?!

I can see us drafting a Center in round 2.

Not sayng we SHOULD but it makes sense if the value is too good. But i'd want a prospect who has played a lot at Center, vice a C\OG prospect.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/articl...cker-robbie-gould-two-year-million-extension/

WTF?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...cker-robbie-gould-two-year-million-extension/

Didn't think Gould was going to remain simply because of next year drop in cap. Nothing against Gould at all, just that with so many others to pay i guessed PK was a position that had to 'give'.

He did reduce his cap hit but $3,625,000 is still a lot under next years cap circumstances.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
G Trey Smth, Edge Jaelan Phillips

I agree with Maiocco that all things being 'equal', i'd draft a Edge Rusher who can do what Dee Ford does. If there is no value on the board, then don't force it.

Don't know Jaelan Phillips, but it he has good value, why not?

Don't see us drafting OG till the 5th at earliest, if in fact we do? IF we go O-line, then i can see a Center in Round 2. Yes, this assumes Trent Williams is somehow re-signed and if not, then OT is certainly higher priority. Will there be an OT with enough value, we'll see?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To now i thought Dee Ford was an easy decision to cut, but not so fast!

If we do that, he'll cost a $14M cap hit. This is a LOT considering the cap will go down quite a bit.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not adamant we keep Garapollo, but do feel it doesn't make sense to change QB's now. Some speculate we should trade up for a QB, so here is an idea of what it'll take:

The analytics site recently released a mock draft that had the 49ers moving up to the No. 4 overall pick to select quarterback Justin Fields of Ohio State. Right now, the 49ers are slated to select at No. 12 overall. What would it take to move up to that spot?

Renner believes San Francisco would need to give up four total selections. They are the No. 12 overall pick, this year's second- and fourth-round picks, and next year's second-round pick. That would be quite a haul for the Atlanta Falcons, who currently sit at No. 4, and a lot to surrender for the 49ers to move up eight spots.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather go with JimmyG and bring in a back up like the Raiders did with Mariota.

IMO the key to the draft is whether the Niners re-sign T. Williams. If they do then looking at our needs and how this draft looks to be breaking down(at this point) then DE and CB ought to be the focus of our day 1 and 2 selections
Then the interior O line. I look at the Oline as the main problem with personnel but I don't know who I'd be happy with at 12.
I think we could snare a game breaking WR there but, I don't think it wise to use 3 #1's on WR's

I haven't looked into who's a FA or who might be shaken loose from another roster but, I'd look outside the draft for a starter at CB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather go with JimmyG and bring in a back up like the Raiders did with Mariota.

IMO the key to the draft is whether the Niners re-sign T. Williams. If they do then looking at our needs and how this draft looks to be breaking down(at this point) then DE and CB ought to be the focus of our day 1 and 2 selections
Then the interior O line. I look at the Oline as the main problem with personnel but I don't know who I'd be happy with at 12.
I think we could snare a game breaking WR there but, I don't think it wise to use 3 #1's on WR's

I haven't looked into who's a FA or who might be shaken loose from another roster but, I'd look outside the draft for a starter at CB.

I agree with JG, while there ARE injury concerns and he isn't elite, i feel we make it worse getting rid of him now. I feel this team has enough left to make another legit SB run, so you can't have a rookie and even a vet needs to learn Shannahan's system. Multiple players have expressed the intangibles JG brings into the huddle.

Regarding the draft, yes it all starts with T Williams and why they're already started to talk. I don't think we can fit him in and if we do, that means we've entered into "mortgaging the future" status. But anyway, what we do in round 1 starts with T. Williams.

I would defintely consider a top rated Center in Round 2. Not saying we MUST go there, but a top Center would really solidify the interior. More so in pass protect but it'll also improve the run game. All NFL offenses need their run game to be effective.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Deshaun Watson is really going to get traded I don't mind offering Jimmy G and our 1st this year along with some combination of later picks this year and next. I'm actually ok with throwing in next years 1st to keep some 2nd and 3rd round picks. Watson is only 25 and would be a massive upgrade to the offense and big time leader in the locker room. I wouldn't want to go to crazy giving up our entire draft though. Jimmy G, 2 1st, a 2021 3rd, and 2022 2nd seems pretty reasonable.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm thinking they will keep Jimmy G, they will have 10 picks this draft. Must sign T Williams at LT! Trade, Reneg, PS to get under the Cap!! Go 49ers!!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Deshaun Watson is really going to get traded I don't mind offering Jimmy G and our 1st this year along with some combination of later picks this year and next. I'm actually ok with throwing in next years 1st to keep some 2nd and 3rd round picks. Watson is only 25 and would be a massive upgrade to the offense and big time leader in the locker room. I wouldn't want to go to crazy giving up our entire draft though. Jimmy G, 2 1st, a 2021 3rd, and 2022 2nd seems pretty reasonable.
Getting him is costly with draft capital, but there is also his cap hit to consider? What is his current and near future cap hit? If he's as successful as we expect him to be, he'd be one of the top paid NFL QB's? Don't know what his contract situation is but at 25 years old, seems like he's ready for his next contract?

Not adamant against Deshawn Watson, but my first take is draft plus cap cost will be HIGH.