• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting him is costly with draft capital, but there is also his cap hit to consider? What is his current and near future cap hit? If he's as successful as we expect him to be, he'd be one of the top paid NFL QB's? Don't know what his contract situation is but at 25 years old, seems like he's ready for his next contract?

Not adamant against Deshawn Watson, but my first take is draft plus cap cost will be HIGH.
He resigned recently so he makes something on par with Jimmy G already. He actually makes a manageable amount this year but 2022 and 2023 he makes 40 and 42 million each year, then 37 and 32 million in 2024 and 2025.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This is why the 49ers won't get Deshawn Watson, other teams can offer MUCH more in a trade. Even if not the Jets, other teams positioned higher can offer more.

Anyway, two of these three options look juicy to me. I wouldn't take Sam Darnold in a trade, cause if he continues to struggle you look much worse as GM.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He resigned recently so he makes something on par with Jimmy G already. He actually makes a manageable amount this year but 2022 and 2023 he makes 40 and 42 million each year, then 37 and 32 million in 2024 and 2025.
Oh ok, then from a cap hit standpoint, this is reasonable.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/144256-cowherd-explains-why-deshaun-watson-isnt-good-49ers/

He IS making some sense here, the parts where:
1. We do have a run first mentality, or at least prefer to run whenever we can.
2. For Shannahan you basically set and throw, set and throw. Do we want to give up two 1st round picks and more for a QB that doesn't need to improvise? Not improvise as much as other teams, cause sometimes the 49er QB does improvise.

Not totally against Watson but don't see us able to out bid others? In order to outbid others, we start to add too many high draft picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There has been a lot of conversation surrounding the future of the quarterback position for the San Francisco 49ers. Will it be Jimmy Garoppolo, or will the team look to upgrade? Names like Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, and Deshaun Watson have all been thrown out there, along with several incoming rookies.

The 49ers' All-Pro linebacker, Fred Warner, expects Garoppolo to silence his doubters in 2021. Warner joined Good Morning Football on Thursday. Kay Adams asked him why Garoppolo is the quarterback who can lead the team back to the Super Bowl.

"The guy's a winner," Warner responded. "He's a natural-born leader. I think that he makes all the throws. It's crazy because you see him practice and in games, the type of throws that he makes, and he can play football."

This is another reason i'd rather keep JG for next season, this isn't the biggest reason but a reason. Now another player is confirming JG's intangible value to the team. I know JG isn't elite and has been out with injuries, but he already knows the offense WELL and already knows his teammates. We fans already know he can get to the team to the SB.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been a lot of conversation surrounding the future of the quarterback position for the San Francisco 49ers. Will it be Jimmy Garoppolo, or will the team look to upgrade? Names like Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, and Deshaun Watson have all been thrown out there, along with several incoming rookies.

The 49ers' All-Pro linebacker, Fred Warner, expects Garoppolo to silence his doubters in 2021. Warner joined Good Morning Football on Thursday. Kay Adams asked him why Garoppolo is the quarterback who can lead the team back to the Super Bowl.

"The guy's a winner," Warner responded. "He's a natural-born leader. I think that he makes all the throws. It's crazy because you see him practice and in games, the type of throws that he makes, and he can play football."

This is another reason i'd rather keep JG for next season, this isn't the biggest reason but a reason. Now another player is confirming JG's intangible value to the team. I know JG isn't elite and has been out with injuries, but he already knows the offense WELL and already knows his teammates. We fans already know he can get to the team to the SB.

He need to do more than just get to the Super Bowl.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He need to do more than just get to the Super Bowl.
Yes, but will bringing in a rookie or vet MAKE it to the SB? The odds are HIGH a rookie won't win the SB for us next season. Can an older vet learn Shannahan's system in one off-season? Will the team gravitate towards a vet like they do JG now, or will the team chemistry break down?

I'm referring to next season, not forever, because this team still has enough to seriously contend.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but will bringing in a rookie or vet MAKE it to the SB? The odds are HIGH a rookie won't win the SB for us next season. Can an older vet learn Shannahan's system in one off-season? Will the team gravitate towards a vet like they do JG now, or will the team chemistry break down?

I'm referring to next season, not forever, because this team still has enough to seriously contend.
The problem I have with Jimmy is he isn't likely to be on the field to get them to the Super Bowl let alone win it.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12th Overall for Stafford
I'd pull the trigger on this. Stafford in Shanahan's offense would be fun. He has the big arm to put fear into DBs and make our playaction game deadly.

This talk of three 1st rounders for Rodgers though??? If you're going to trade that much do it for Watson who's 10 years younger. Rodgers at 36 is not worth so many high end picks anymore. Whoever trades for him is really mortgaging the future to go all in now. I've never been a fan on those trades. I mean look how the Nets attempt at it built The Celtics current roster or how their new attempt will build Houstons for a decade. You can look to the Herschel Walker trade to find something similar in the NFL.

Realistically you hope to get another 4 years of MVP level play from him. Worst case 2 years with best case maybe 6. Also really have to wonder if Rodgers is even capable of winning big games anymore. He's not been good in them for a decade now, and he's had good teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The problem I have with Jimmy is he isn't likely to be on the field to get them to the Super Bowl let alone win it.

This is a tough one to judge, cause in the NFL, players get injured in every game. The IOL isn't solid so any QB we start could get hurt? JG's latest injury was due to pressure from inside.

We know he'll run out of bounds now, instead of risking it for 1 or 2 yards. :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12th Overall for Stafford
I'd pull the trigger on this. Stafford in Shanahan's offense would be fun. He has the big arm to put fear into DBs and make our playaction game deadly.

This talk of three 1st rounders for Rodgers though??? If you're going to trade that much do it for Watson who's 10 years younger. Rodgers at 36 is not worth so many high end picks anymore. Whoever trades for him is really mortgaging the future to go all in now. I've never been a fan on those trades. I mean look how the Nets attempt at it built The Celtics current roster or how their new attempt will build Houstons for a decade. You can look to the Herschel Walker trade to find something similar in the NFL.

Realistically you hope to get another 4 years of MVP level play from him. Worst case 2 years with best case maybe 6. Also really have to wonder if Rodgers is even capable of winning big games anymore. He's not been good in them for a decade now, and he's had good teams.
Too much for Stafford, I would want a 2nd or a 3rd as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, this is the hard part to judge, if Stafford is an upgrade over JG, HOW MUCH of an upgrade? Is he a 12th pick overall worth of upgrade, or whatever the trade will include?

I think team chemistry is a big enough factor to consider, more than a few players have 'endorsed' JG. Anyway, not adamant we keep JG, just don't want to give up so much draft capital now.

Once the Trent Williams situation is clear - i expect he won't re-up - i feel even LT will be more worthwhile with the 12th pick, than trading it for Stafford.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His health is his biggest drawback imo. He's missed WAY too many games in his 3 seasons here.
I agree. Though I agree with @deep9er that Stafford is an upgrade over Grop, there is way I'd shell out a mid-1st rounder for Stafford.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2570-why-49ers-should-stick-jimmy-garoppolo-2021/

This writer also points out the importance of team chemistry with JG.

I'm not saying this is THE factor, but it is a factor.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Not expecting a lot out of Rosen, certainly not a consistent starting QB. Am thinking he could become a good back-up QB? Set and throw, set and throw.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering what the Rams gave up for Stafford I'm glad the 49ers didn't make the move. I would be more willing to trade firsts or multiple firsts for Watson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well considering what the Rams gave up for Stafford I'm glad the 49ers didn't make the move. I would be more willing to trade firsts or multiple firsts for Watson.
I would too but multiple 1st PLUS multiple 2nds PLUS multiple defensive starters........uh......no thanks!

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would too but multiple 1st PLUS multiple 2nds PLUS multiple defensive starters........uh......no thanks!
That might be what they are asking for now but the longer this goes on the more reasonable they could become plus Watson couldn't really sink them by saying I want to be traded to the 49ers and only the 49ers and then Houston loses all leverage if Watson is willing to set out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That might be what they are asking for now but the longer this goes on the more reasonable they could become plus Watson couldn't really sink them by saying I want to be traded to the 49ers and only the 49ers and then Houston loses all leverage if Watson is willing to set out.
Yes, the longer this goes then this asking price will drop, but "drop" still won't bring the 49ers into play, There are too many other teams with more draft capital.

On our end, we shouldn't trade away Bosa or Warner.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the longer this goes then this asking price will drop, but "drop" still won't bring the 49ers into play, There are too many other teams with more draft capital.

On our end, we shouldn't trade away Bosa or Warner.

Yes it is unlikely because other teams have more attractive draft capital which is why his no trade clause is important. If he is only willing to go to a contender type team then what the 49ers have is much more attractive.