• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@deep9er , you worried about WR now? the HC sure is. We finally signed Sanu, the WR we were reportedly after last year. It was pretty clear during the AZ game that the WRs weren't a concern for the defense. That has to change if we're gonna win any games.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@deep9er , you worried about WR now? the HC sure is. We finally signed Sanu, the WR we were reportedly after last year. It was pretty clear during the AZ game that the WRs weren't a concern for the defense. That has to change if we're gonna win any games.

Of course its nice to have top WR's but the bigger problem yesterday was the O-line. Even Trent Wllliams was struggling.

The O-line couldn't get the run game going, and the pass protect broke down. Given a half second more, the passing game can work.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The other item is our offense isn't schemed to throw deep.

Neither JG nor Mullens can throw it long, unless its well schedmed.

again, not saying we don't need top WR's, am saying i'd rather have a stronger O-line than WR corps.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course its nice to have top WR's but the bigger problem yesterday was the O-line. Even Trent Wllliams was struggling.

The O-line couldn't get the run game going, and the pass protect broke down. Given a half second more, the passing game can work.
True, the Oline looked like they were on skates too many times. Our pass rush was almost nonexistent and our CBs kept getting beaten. I liked seeing the coach pull Mullens and try Beathard b/c Mullens was just off most of the day. It still surprises me that we played as well as we did considering how many starters we're missing (QB, RB, OC, DE, DE, LB, CB).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True, the Oline looked like they were on skates too many times. Our pass rush was almost nonexistent and our CBs kept getting beaten. I liked seeing the coach pull Mullens and try Beathard b/c Mullens was just off most of the day. It still surprises me that we played as well as we did considering how many starters we're missing (QB, RB, OC, DE, DE, LB, CB).

Yes, there wasn't enough of a rush either. This is the effect we'll see all seasn with BOTH Ford and Bosa out. The lack of a pass rush is expected but they also allowed Wentz to scramble away too many times.

A writer pointed out after two consecutive road games, the team goes flat. He based it on last season so he was correct, they WERE flat.

Beathard for Mullens is a tough call, i'm not against it but tough call regarding WHEN to switch? Mullens started bad (first two passes?) but did ok till the 4th quarter.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there wasn't enough of a rush either. This is the effect we'll see all seasn with BOTH Ford and Bosa out. The lack of a pass rush is expected but they also allowed Wentz to scramble away too many times.

A writer pointed out after two consecutive road games, the team goes flat. He based it on last season so he was correct, they WERE flat.

Beathard for Mullens is a tough call, i'm not against it but tough call regarding WHEN to switch? Mullens started bad (first two passes?) but did ok till the 4th quarter.
I disagree that Mullens did well until the 4th quarter. Sure, the first quarter had 2 badly missed passes with one of them maybe being a TD and he missed a different TD pass as well. BUT, even after that, He had one good drive right after halftime, but after that, he disappeared. Having said that, if Grop isn't ready, I'd still expect Mullens to get the next start, but he'll have a much shorter leash than he got against the Eagles.

The OL got murdered up the middle. Richburg was an average OC, but Garland got killed in this game. LIke you said earlier, Tomlinson got his ass handed to him in that game and even T.Williams struggled and that is a BIG concern.

On the DL, it's amazing that we're doing as well as we are. We're down to our 4th, 5th and 6th DEs--guys off the PS and street FAs are getting serious PT at DE AND at CB. Then there is the issue that we're going with a ST player at one LB spot. Even with all that, the offense should've produced mroe points with guys like Samuel and Kittle back on the field and they would have if Mullens was able to hit a barn during teh first half.

It seems like ages since we've had a great outside pass rusher and a really good CB. Sure, the FO finally shored up the DE spot with a top draft pick and a trade, and those injuries aren't their fault, but teh CB spot is woefully thin and it keeps showing every week. I know that FO guys get hooked on certain players (i.e. McCloughan and Kentwan Balmer, etc.), but our FO just hasn't managed to fill the CB hole--that has to be a BIG focus in the draft this year since we ahve significantly more picks than last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree that Mullens did well until the 4th quarter. Sure, the first quarter had 2 badly missed passes with one of them maybe being a TD and he missed a different TD pass as well. BUT, even after that, He had one good drive right after halftime, but after that, he disappeared. Having said that, if Grop isn't ready, I'd still expect Mullens to get the next start, but he'll have a much shorter leash than he got against the Eagles.

The OL got murdered up the middle. Richburg was an average OC, but Garland got killed in this game. LIke you said earlier, Tomlinson got his ass handed to him in that game and even T.Williams struggled and that is a BIG concern.

On the DL, it's amazing that we're doing as well as we are. We're down to our 4th, 5th and 6th DEs--guys off the PS and street FAs are getting serious PT at DE AND at CB. Then there is the issue that we're going with a ST player at one LB spot. Even with all that, the offense should've produced mroe points with guys like Samuel and Kittle back on the field and they would have if Mullens was able to hit a barn during teh first half.

It seems like ages since we've had a great outside pass rusher and a really good CB. Sure, the FO finally shored up the DE spot with a top draft pick and a trade, and those injuries aren't their fault, but teh CB spot is woefully thin and it keeps showing every week. I know that FO guys get hooked on certain players (i.e. McCloughan and Kentwan Balmer, etc.), but our FO just hasn't managed to fill the CB hole--that has to be a BIG focus in the draft this year since we ahve significantly more picks than last year.

Ok, your opinion on Mullens is your opinion, but if the O-line is playing poorly then no one on offense can play well. BTW - ALL of the O-line had multiple poor plays. Only Kittle did well :-) but someone has to throw him the ball.

Anyway, the cap prevents you from being solid at all spots, so defensively the 49ers place emphasis on the D-line. If you can't build all 11 guys to top players, i'd choose D-line too. But unfortunately, with BOTH Ford and Bosa out, we can expect this rest of the season.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game showed how UNderrated Garoppolo is. He's been saddled with a below avg. offensive line in terms of pass protection, and people wonder why all this next gen garbage stats show that his 'air yards per pass' or some nonsense is so low - the guy needs to get the ball out for completions that would be sacks or incomplete throwaways and whatnot.

Granted, that was a worse than normal showing - even Trent Williams looked like ass back there - but Garoppolo's presence will definitely mask some of the deficiencies

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That game showed how UNderrated Garoppolo is. He's been saddled with a below avg. offensive line in terms of pass protection, and people wonder why all this next gen garbage stats show that his 'air yards per pass' or some nonsense is so low - the guy needs to get the ball out for completions that would be sacks or incomplete throwaways and whatnot.

Granted, that was a worse than normal showing - even Trent Williams looked like ass back there - but Garoppolo's presence will definitely mask some of the deficiencies

Agree JG is just fine if he does close to what he did last season, less a few INT's. He was dong about the same before he got hurt and even did ok while he was hurt. As long as the O-line plays consistently, don't see why JG wouldn't continue his pace? The offense is designed to get the ball to the playmakers and let them YAC, JG doesnt need to be a 'gun slinger'.

HOWEVER, before the passing game can be effective, the run game needs to get better. Other than the Mostert bomb, the run game has been poor.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2020-2021 Need to meet cap regulations, Lynch needs to get people healthy and then look to 1. Trade players for players and picks. 2. Do not resign some players, get comp pick for next season. 3 cut and they sign with Seattle... Tough work ahead!! Go 49ers!! Hire James Harrison as Strength Coach..

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2020-2021 Need to meet cap regulations, Lynch needs to get people healthy and then look to 1. Trade players for players and picks. 2. Do not resign some players, get comp pick for next season. 3 cut and they sign with Seattle... Tough work ahead!! Go 49ers!! Hire James Harrison as Strength Coach..

Not disagreeing with trading players providing poor value, but other teams face the lower cap too. I'd think 3/4 of the NFL teams will be thinking the same thing.....trading their players for picks. I see a limited market for trades involving 'name' players.

Some players won't remain 49ers, starting with the higher priced ones like Gould and Richburg. Don't know if his contract ran out or not, but you can add Coleman.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont know that may be it for Bourne and Taylor, Compton, Sherman??
Bourne fits in well with Shannahan's system as the 3rd WR, i think he remains. Taylor is a sure handed PR, i think he has a good chance too. Yes, Taylor doesn't gain much return yards, but his first job is catch/secure the punt. With Aiyuk starting to emerge, i can see us having the same WR corps next season. I'm not advocating we keep the same, but with the tighter cap don't see us signing anyone significant. There is also Hurd to "test run"? Deebo is starting to show a lot of injury and thats a concern.

Don't know the specific contract details for everyone but IMO Compton, Sherman, Tevin Coleman, Weston Richburg, Dee Ford, and maybe even Gould are all gone. It won't end here, more good 'contributors' will also be gone due to the reduced cap. But other good teams will lose players too, so only a few bad teams WITH cap space can take advantage.