• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verrett played 1 game in 2019 and 13 in 2020, for the 49ers. But looking back further, his injury history shows that In 6 seasons he played 39 games out of a possible 96 games, or 40.6%.

JG wasn't hurt in 2019, including all of the play-off games. So in his case, i wonder about "we know he will get hurt"?

Believe it or not, percentage wise Jimmy Ward played more games than Verrett.
Missed all of 2018 and almost all of 2020. Can’t have that with your QB. He also got his chance in New England but got hurt right away there as well

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touchy subject. :-)

We want to think these players already know what happens should they get COVID-19? Where are their Agents? You'd think this would be a no-brainer however LOTS of people out there still hesitating. The issue is community spread, so imagine if the last five or so guys, spread it to the team?!! The 49ers will lose games whether we play it or not.

The health risk alone is huge, but missing games hurt their direct livelyhood. There is also the potential for lingering side effects from COVID-19? More so for professional athletes, they just CAN"T afford COVID-19.......just can't.
It’s political now with these red necks. Somehow they think they are hurting Biden by not getting vaccinated

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It’s political now with these red necks. Somehow they think they are hurting Biden by not getting vaccinated
I agree that its a PANDEMIC, not a political issue. Totally agree!

This is a health crisis that SHOULD make people forget about politics, to galvanzie the Nation in addressing it head on?! People can go back to political issues AFTER this pandemic is abated. I know it won't disappear 100%, but America can certainly do a better job preventing hospitilizations and death.

But such is the state of our Country, the divide is huge and it'll remain like this for some time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It isn't surprising Lance will have situational plays, more so after his glowing TC. My first inclination was goal line and short yardage, but after reading recent stuff, you can't help think Lance will be used for longer passing downs (over 15 yards?), and Hail Mary's?!

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random Notes:
Saw that the Pats have WR Bourne initially listed as 2nd string.

Read some rumors that the Jags may be looking to trade CB CJ Henderson, the 9th overall pick in 2020, a player the Niners were reportedly very interested in during that draft (we traded down and took Kinlaw). And, like most years, we have a glaring need at Cb.

Some talk in Vegas that DL Solomon Thomas is on the roster bubble and might not make the team.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richie James had knee surgery and will be out for 6 weeks. That's probably a good thing for him since he wasn't likely to make the roster anyway. So will Hurd and/or Benjamin make it? We could have some tight roster races at WR

Then again, we'll have a tight squeeze at DL too, but that's a good thing considering the half-decent depth we have there (for a change).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some of our defensive unrestricted free agents after this season:

Jason Verret
K'Waun Williams
Jaquarski Tartt
Dontae Johnson
DJ Jones
Arden Key
Jordan Willis
Kentavious Street

I know we're not able to keep everyone but we NEED cap space to re-sign some of these guys. JG's cap space is better spent on these guys, not to mention Nick Bosa who'll likely be the highest paid at his position.

On offense, some include Laken Tomlinson and Daniel Brunskill. Then there is extending Deebo Samuel.....hopefully.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jason Verret
K'Waun Williams
Jaquarski Tartt
Dontae Johnson
DJ Jones
Arden Key
Jordan Willis
Kentavious Street

I know we're not able to keep everyone but we NEED cap space to re-sign some of these guys. JG's cap space is better spent on these guys, not to mention Nick Bosa who'll likely be the highest paid at his position.

On offense, some include Laken Tomlinson and Daniel Brunskill. Then there is extending Deebo Samuel.....hopefully.
Verret--we can probably get him on a cheap 1-2yr prove-it deal. If not, let him walk.
K.Williams--we just about have to resign him. He's a good NCB and he fits well in this system.
Tartt--not sure on Tartt. I'd hate to lose him, but not as much as K.Williams
D. Johnson--is consistently picked up off the street. He's the NFL version of a day laborer. Low priority.
DJ Jones--best/healthiest season in a contract year. So giving him a huge raise is very risky.
A.Key--is well worth resigning, but how much will he want? His improved play with us might've made him too expensive
Willis--i think he'll come cheaper than Key. Good backup pass rusher.
K.Street--I think we'd be ok letting him walk.

Brunskill is consistently our worst starting OL, so he'd be cheap, but Tomlinson is a FO favorite though he'll cost a lot more than Burnskill. The really sad part is that our 2021 2nd rd pick, Banks, was supposed to step into one of those 2 OG spots.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jason Verret
K'Waun Williams
Jaquarski Tartt
Dontae Johnson
DJ Jones
Arden Key
Jordan Willis
Kentavious Street

I think they will lose Williams,Tartt and Verrett. The rest they can sign cheap.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verret--we can probably get him on a cheap 1-2yr prove-it deal. If not, let him walk.
K.Williams--we just about have to resign him. He's a good NCB and he fits well in this system.
Tartt--not sure on Tartt. I'd hate to lose him, but not as much as K.Williams
D. Johnson--is consistently picked up off the street. He's the NFL version of a day laborer. Low priority.
DJ Jones--best/healthiest season in a contract year. So giving him a huge raise is very risky.
A.Key--is well worth resigning, but how much will he want? His improved play with us might've made him too expensive
Willis--i think he'll come cheaper than Key. Good backup pass rusher.
K.Street--I think we'd be ok letting him walk.

Brunskill is consistently our worst starting OL, so he'd be cheap, but Tomlinson is a FO favorite though he'll cost a lot more than Burnskill. The really sad part is that our 2021 2nd rd pick, Banks, was supposed to step into one of those 2 OG spots.
Ha ha!
We need Jones though because Kinlaw is a bust

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
“I think this year, it played out how everyone in the organization thought it would,” Williams said Monday, via Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. “They wanted to give [Lance] a year to kind of continue to develop, being a 21-year-old. He was just old enough to buy his first beer or pack of cigarettes like a few months ago. We can’t just put the weight of the world on his shoulders, even though he is a young man who can handle it. I think it went exactly how we wanted it to go.”

TW is right, so see if we can improve the O-line? I know we won't bring in an All-Pro or draft an instant starter, but any improvement will help the offense.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I think this year, it played out how everyone in the organization thought it would,” Williams said Monday, via Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. “They wanted to give [Lance] a year to kind of continue to develop, being a 21-year-old. He was just old enough to buy his first beer or pack of cigarettes like a few months ago. We can’t just put the weight of the world on his shoulders, even though he is a young man who can handle it. I think it went exactly how we wanted it to go.”

TW is right, so see if we can improve the O-line? I know we won't bring in an All-Pro or draft an instant starter, but any improvement will help the offense.
Tomlinson is a FA at LG and our RG is our worst OLineman. And our center is 36 years old.

Just like last year, we need a OG and a OC. And even a RT, since Compton is a FA and McGlinchey is coming off a season ending knee injury and entering the last year of his deal.

Oh, and whichever scout recommended Aaron Banks in rd 2, fire him. Or better yet, kill him.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson is a FA at LG and our RG is our worst OLineman. And our center is 36 years old.

Just like last year, we need a OG and a OC. And even a RT, since Compton is a FA and McGlinchey is coming off a season ending knee injury and entering the last year of his deal.

Oh, and whichever scout recommended Aaron Banks in rd 2, fire him. Or better yet, kill him.
Friggin Banks... I PRAY that he matures in the offseason. Would be great if we could actually count on him next year. Long shot, based on what we've seen, I know.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friggin Banks... I PRAY that he matures in the offseason. Would be great if we could actually count on him next year. Long shot, based on what we've seen, I know.
Both of our OL picks last year struggled. Moore wasn't good at all and Banks was actually worse than that.

To see both Banks and Moore struggle so badly....we have to hope for more from them next season. If, after TC, we still see Banks as a "left off the active roster" player, some hard questions have to get asked of how we value OGs in the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, ANY improvement on the O-line will help, we need more consistency in pass protect. When we do throw longer sideline routes and of course downfield past 10 yards (haaa), he can't be sacked. I would even consider a rookie even though he'll go thru growing pains too.

Banks as an OG WAS the right thinking for improving the O-line, but the wrong prospect.

I don't think we can get good enough value next draft at OT, so think we'll end up drafting a C or OG first? MAYBE the JG trade will surprise (shock?) us and we can draft one earlier than 3rd or 4th?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at his last contract, Tomlinson received a three-year, $16.5 million deal in 2018, and should be in the market for a considerably higher raise, perhaps in the $8-11 million range, although given the 49ers' needs to re-sign key free agents, likely again to one-year deals, I'd expect the contract to be back-loaded with a potential opt-out clause, similar to Trent Williams, Fred Warner, and George Kittle's deals.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought.... the more I read Jack, the more I like his takes. He's not a "hot take" guy and he isn't a FO shill either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Food for thought.... the more I read Jack, the more I like his takes. He's not a "hot take" guy and he isn't a FO shill either.

I would do Ward and McGlichey last because if possible, rather we not restructure these guys.....IF possible?

Yes, Ward appears to be past his injury prone years, but he's not young enough to keep around multiple seasons. The defensive secondary needs SPEED and players past 30 don't usually keep their speed. McGlinchey isn't as old but his performance is noticibly worse and wouldn't bet it improves much if at all.

There is enough top core talent that we have to start "mortgaging the future" now, the window is 2 years maybe 3 depending on Lance?

This is where past draft failures create cap problems now. Had Soloman Thomas, Reuben Foster, Dante Pettis, Javon Kinlaw, Jalen Hurd, Tarvarious Moore, Akhello Witherspoon, and CJ Beathard (all in Rounds 1-3) panned out, this cap problem would be much lower. No one can get every pick right so even 5 or 6 of these 8 would've helped a lot.

[Not to mention trading up for some of these guys.]

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Six things the 49ers must do this offseason

Marc Adams
By Marc Adams follow

The 2021 season was a rollercoaster ride for the San Francisco 49ers. After a slow start, some fans were ready to fire Coach Kyle Shanahan and trade away anyone of value. But the team turned things around, and the 49ers came within a few minutes of making its second Super Bowl in three seasons.

Things may not have worked out the way we had hoped, but it was still a fun season. We had a lot to cheer about, and we have much to look forward to. This brings me to the offseason, and six things I believe the 49ers must do to get back to the Super Bowl, and win a sixth Lombardi.

1. Trade Jimmy Garoppolo

I appreciate all that Jimmy Garoppolo did for the 49ers the past five seasons. He took the team deep into the playoffs twice, including one Super Bowl. Had he not dealt with thumb and shoulder injuries in the playoffs, maybe the 49ers would have made it back to the Super Bowl this season. And if he had not been injured in 2018 and 2020, perhaps the 49ers would have made the postseason those years, as well.

Garoppolo is a classy guy, and he is a better quarterback than many people give him credit. But at this point, the 49ers need to move on from Garoppolo. Trading him this offseason could bring back some draft picks. In case you hadn't heard, they traded away a few picks to draft Trey Lance. Trading Garoppolo would give the 49ers some more picks.

Trading Garoppolo would also clear up some cap space, allowing the team to sign some free agents, and possibly extend Nick Bosa and Deebo Samuel. This will be important, especially if the 49ers are able to keep some of their young stars.

Finally, trading Garoppolo allows Lance to take over and continue his development. That is, unless General Manager John Lynch pulls off an earth-shattering trade for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. But I really don't expect that to happen.

2. Find a number-one cornerback

While I believe Emmanuel Moseley and Ambry Thomas make a good starting pair at cornerback, I would still like to see the team add someone who would be an obvious number one. The secondary, especially at cornerback, needs more depth.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jason Verrett brought back on an incentive-laden contract. He is injured more than he plays, but when he plays, Verrett is a top corner. But he did suffer an ACL injury in September. How well he comes back in 2022 remains to be seen.

But the 49ers could use a top cornerback, in addition to who they already have. And if they decide Moseley and Thomas are their starters, they should at least bring in some quality back-ups. No one wants to see Josh Norman back there again. Ever.

3. Find an edge rusher to compliment Nick Bosa

Bosa returned with a vengeance this season, after suffering a season-ending knee injury in 2020. There was hope that Dee Ford would be able to give the 49ers a much-needed boost in its pass rush from the edge, but he just wasn't able to do so.

Having an edge rusher, preferably someone with some quickness, like Ford, would be a great compliment to Bosa. It would take some pressure off the star defender, and make the interior rushers, like Arik Armstead and Javon Kinlaw, even more effective.

This certainly will be an area of focus this offseason, be it in free agency or the draft.

4. Re-sign Laken Tomlinson and D.J. Jones
I'm not sure the 49ers will be able to re-sign Laken Tomlinson and D.J. Jones, but I'd love to see both return. Jones was a force in the middle of the defensive line, and is one reason why the 49ers' defense was so stout against the run. Jones' play was especially critical considering the defense lost Kinlaw for the season. It's possible the 49ers decide having Jones is a luxury, considering they have Kinlaw under contract, but I hope they will bring Jones back. We still don't know what to expect from Kinlaw.

As for Tomlinson, he has to be priority one for the 49ers in free agency. He is a great compliment to Trent Williams, and never misses a game. In fact, I'm not even sure he missed a snap this season. If he did, it was because his shoe came off and he had to miss a play. I seem to remember that happening. Re-signing Tomlinson needs to happen, preferably before March 16th, when other teams can sign him away from the 49ers.

5. Find a right tackle and right guard that can pass block

The 49ers drafted Aaron Banks in the second round of the 2021 draft, hoping he would be the answer at right guard. But Banks barely played in 2021. Now that certainly doesn't mean he's a bust. Sometimes rookies struggle to break in, especially with Shanahan. So there is still hope that Banks can become the starting guard everyone hoped he would be. Daniel Brunskill is serviceable, but he's not the answer long-term, and other than dominating Aaron Donald, normally isn't that effective.

Right tackle has been an issue, at times, too. Mike McGlinchey is the presumed starter at that position, even after missing most of the 2021 season with an injury. McGlinchey is a talented run blocker, but has been ineffective as a pass blocker. Though he was better in his limited time in 2021 than he was in 2020, he still wasn't that good.

But the 49ers picked up McGlinchey's fifth-year option, so he will, in all likelihood, be the starter in 2022. Perhaps he will show more growth this next season.

After McGlinchey went down, it seemed as though Jaylon Moore might be the choice. But instead, the 49ers went with veteran Tom Compton. Compton, like McGlinchey, was good in run blocking situations, but struggled in pass blocking. Maybe Moore can develop into a starter's role. I'd love to see that. But it will most likely be McGlinchey's job to lose.

Regardless, the right side of the offensive line has been a problem when it comes to pass blocking. And now the 49ers will have a young quarterback who doesn't get rid of the ball as quickly as Garoppolo. Having Lance dealing with pressure (from the right side and up the middle) too often is not how the team wants to develop its young signal-caller.

6. Figure out how to protect 4th quarter leads

It's painful to discuss this, but the 49ers have lost a couple of notable games where they had the lead until the mid-fourth quarter. The first was Super Bowl LIV, when they blew a ten-point lead to allow the Kansas City Cheifs to win the game. The most recent was the NFC Championship Game, earlier this month, when they blew another ten-point lead, this time to the division-rival Los Angeles Rams.

Sure there was the playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys, where they protected a fourth-quarter lead. But the 49ers didn't score in the fourth quarter, and they almost lost that lead.

It seems like in big games, the team tenses up and becomes ultra-conservative. Is that a Shanahan thing? Is it a Garoppolo thing? Is it that Shanahan never truly trusted Garoppolo, so he was afraid to take chances? I'm guessing it's a little "all of the above."

Regardless, the 49ers of the Camelot days had a killer instinct. They knew how to put teams away. The current 49ers still need to figure that out. Hopefully, it comes soon. The 49ers have five Super Bowl trophies in its Santa Clara museum. But they probably should have seven or eight.

Nothing we didn't already know however items 2 thru 5 are easier said than done. Item 5 isn't easy because they're weighing what it'll cost for these two guys, compared to who you can't sign/re-sign? You can re-sign these two guys who ARE important, but then you lose quality somewhere else.

I'm not as concerned with item 6 because better QB play or more consistent QB play, will help this a lot. You're supposed to score more points in quarters 1 thru 3 so that you don't always squeeze in the 4th. Score 24 points in the quarters 1 thru 3, instead of 13 or whatever the numbers were?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lis...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Just reading thru this list, i dunno? Injury history, age, and one that's out of our range. CB's need to be younger to keep up over the long season, i'd rather draft a CB over this list.