• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What happen to Adams?

Prior to the draft, felt Adams would be ok in Round 7 or via UDFA. But since Seattle didn't give him much more than a "look see", don't think we should either. That short try out in Seattle, already tells us something.

Not to mention we have Driskell, who should get whatever leftover reps there is.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass on Adams we already have a QB for the practice squad that's where one of the 4 or 5 guys already signed will be headed.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert didn't regress all that much as the season went on....he never established anything in the first place, except that he was a better option than Kaepernick at the time.

As for this coming season, the Niners should do exactly what the Redskins did with Griffin....sit his ass down and risk him to nothing. Everywhere you turn, there are stories about him and they aren't positive....from wanting out, to not talking to teammates, to guys getting behind Gabbert, and so on.....He shouldn't even dress for any game.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert didn't regress all that much as the season went on....he never established anything in the first place, except that he was a better option than Kaepernick at the time.

As for this coming season, the Niners should do exactly what the Redskins did with Griffin....sit his ass down and risk him to nothing. Everywhere you turn, there are stories about him and they aren't positive....from wanting out, to not talking to teammates, to guys getting behind Gabbert, and so on.....He shouldn't even dress for any game.

He did regress. Never great but Gabbert did play pretty well at first. Greg Cosell commented weekly of Gabbert's performance from film study. Cosell talked about how Gabbert started falling into the same bad habits from his Jacksonville days.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

At this point, not going to argue with sitting him down, thats what it appears we should do from a cap standpoint. But as TC gets underway you never know about Kaep's competitive juices, and hence attitude 'adjustment'? Should he show a change of heart, maybe they let him practice in this new offense? From Baalke and Kelly's point of view, you might be getting rid of the player who runs this offense best? Not best in the whole world mind you, but best of all the QB's we have.

Not trying to say he'll be a top NFL QB in this new offense, but if he's the best you got THIS season, you should at least find out? Again, If Kaep shows an earnest change of heart, and only the Coaches and players can feel this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He did regress. Never great but Gabbert did play pretty well at first. Greg Cosell commented weekly of Gabbert's performance from film study. Cosell talked about how Gabbert started falling into the same bad habits from his Jacksonville days.

Kelly's offense requires 'one read' and quick throws, since Gabbert excelled at short throws, maybe he does better in this offense?

i posted an article about this already, don't know if this thread or another.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, it was in this thread (#493)

The question now becomes whether Gabbert can perform. His body of work suggests he can’t—and so the Niners must be included on this list of glaring holes. But for the sake of discussion, let’s look only at his raw passing skill, which says he can succeed here. Gabbert is essentially Foles but with a better arm and much quicker release. When afforded a clean pocket, he can be as good as almost any passer in the league. The problem is it must be a really clean pocket, otherwise Gabbert’s footwork goes awry and his decision-making sputters. Really clean pockets are uncommon in pro football. But, in theory, they’re more common in Kelly’s scheme, where the up-tempo approach can wear down pass rushers and the play designs often have the ball coming out promptly and on fairly defined reads. No one in San Francisco questions Gabbert’s work ethic; he’ll have little trouble learning Kelly’s user-friendly scheme. But for Gabbert to flourish, he’ll likely need near-perfect conditions around him. The Niners are far from having that.

Granted the clean pocket is problematic, but SOME of it is taken care of just by throwing quicker.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Seattle just lost Lockett to retirement.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not best in the whole world mind you, but best of all the QB's we have.

Debatable.....I'd rather give Gabbert the job, and Kaepernick the bench.....at Candlestick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Debatable.....I'd rather give Gabbert the job, and Kaepernick the bench.....at Candlestick.

i'm likely getting too far ahead, but If...IF Kaep stays and changes his outlook, obviously they'll compete for the job. They won't just give it to either Gabbert or Kaep. If Kaep is kept on the bench, yeah Gabbert will start off #1, we don't have a choice.

Again, not proclaiming Kaep will be a top NFL QB, just saying who might end up best of what we got. Not a big fan of Kaep but this offense could reduce his weakness, which is progression? If you make Kaep get closer to his Pistol roots, maybe he beats out Gabbert, who knows?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly's offense requires 'one read' and quick throws, since Gabbert excelled at short throws, maybe he does better in this offense?

i posted an article about this already, don't know if this thread or another.

I read that article. It could be. Just have to wait and see.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baltimore Ravens were one step ahead of just about everyone when selecting OT Ronnie Stanley

This has nothing to do with the 49ers now, just wanted to say that too bad we missed out on Stanley. i still believe hwe'd have drafted him over Buckner, had he been available.

Nothing against Buckner (from Hawaii) who IMO is 'equal' value to Stanley. Just that when two players are equal value, more Need comes into play. You typically build your O-line at LT, and Stanley is the stud LT. It is harder to find that quality LT, over a quality 3-4 DE.

Not to mention in the bigger 3-4 picture, the LB's take on more of the playmaking roles.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore Ravens were one step ahead of just about everyone when selecting OT Ronnie Stanley

This has nothing to do with the 49ers now, just wanted to say that too bad we missed out on Stanley. i still believe hwe'd have drafted him over Buckner, had he been available.

Nothing against Buckner (from Hawaii) who IMO is 'equal' value to Stanley. Just that when two players are equal value, more Need comes into play. You typically build your O-line at LT, and Stanley is the stud LT. It is harder to find that quality LT, over a quality 3-4 DE.

Not to mention in the bigger 3-4 picture, the LB's take on more of the playmaking roles.

I agree if Stanley had been available they would have taken him over Buckner and as a Notre Dame fan I can't say I would have been upset by that. Also if that video of Tunsil hadn't come out just before the draft they may have taken him as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/news/94...ne-gabbert-quinton-patton-projected-starters/

Yeah i guess so, if you're in Nickel 66% of the time, that IS your base defense.

i heard on radio today, the Chargers are said to be a 3-4 team but use a four man front 70% of the time. this is why they were ok drafting Bosa.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3