• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Mack is similar to Josh Gordon in that he's a soon-to-be 31 year old. The current Niners situation is a complete rebuild.....there should be little interest in a guy like Mack at this point, and I am glad SF came nowhere close to that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They also could have drafted Ragland out of Alabama without having to move up ahead of the Cowboys if you prefer, I personally prefer Jaylon Smith (I have faith that he will recover, the kid has never been injury prone, and only got hurt because of his freakish athletic skills). Then moved back up to get Whitehair which would have given them more picks through out the draft. Also they still would have needed to sign Mack for me to think of this as a slam dunk but they could have still signed that retread Beadles and made these moves as I don't think there is a great difference between Whitehair and Garnett.

Ok, so you feel we Ragland was better value than Garnett. That's ok but whenever i think of last year's O-line, the more i like the Garnett pick. Then there is the idea of Garnett playing ALL snaps, whereas Ragland plays 1/3.

Yeah, at the time of the draft i was wondering about Whitehair too? Was thinking why trade up when it appeared there were good OG's at our #37? Also, Whitehair's value was his versatility since he played LT at K-St. But then I read he has shorter arms, so i take it he likely can't excel at LT? Since there is no versatility, the top OG (Outland trophy winner) makes sense. The more i read, the more i realize there is a difference in Garnett.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Mack is similar to Josh Gordon in that he's a soon-to-be 31 year old. The current Niners situation is a complete rebuild.....there should be little interest in a guy like Mack at this point, and I am glad SF came nowhere close to that.

Since we had a enormous amount of cap space, wouldn't have gotten bent out of shape had we signed Mack. But my general opinion is close to Baalke's, why overpay so much, for 10% chance he's a Pro Bowler?

Yep, this year and next he's still good, but year 3 and 4 fans start to join us in grumbling about his 'dead weight'. Three years from now, fans don't recall they wanted to sign so and so, no matter the cost. They just add to the ranting of that player.

This applies to all the top FA's, not just Mack. That is just the way it is. :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so you feel we Ragland was better value than Garnett. That's ok but whenever i think of last year's O-line, the more i like the Garnett pick. Then there is the idea of Garnett playing ALL snaps, whereas Ragland plays 1/3.

Yeah, at the time of the draft i was wondering about Whitehair too? Was thinking why trade up when it appeared there were good OG's at our #37? Also, Whitehair's value was his versatility since he played LT at K-St. But then I read he has shorter arms, so i take it he likely can't excel at LT? Since there is no versatility, the top OG (Outland trophy winner) makes sense. The more i read, the more i realize there is a difference in Garnett.

I was actually saying move back into the 2nd and get Whitehair as well as Ragland which is better value than moving back into the first to get Garnett. I don't think the difference between the two is that great if much at all considering Garnett is simply a Guard prospect with no versatility. So if I had it my way the 9ers would have gotten three starter caliber players in Buckner, Ragland, and Whitehair, instead of just getting two.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was actually saying move back into the 2nd and get Whitehair as well as Ragland which is better value than moving back into the first to get Garnett. I don't think the difference between the two is that great if much at all considering Garnett is simply a Guard prospect with no versatility. So if I had it my way the 9ers would have gotten three starter caliber players in Buckner, Ragland, and Whitehair, instead of just getting two.

oh ok, so stay with Buckner Round 1, Ragland at our own Round 2, then trade up into 'later' Round 2 for Whitehair. So we'd be giving back Redmond plus picks, to get Whitehair.

It depends on your opinion of each player? i would've been ok right after the draft, cause at the time i thought Whitehair was a potential target. IF Ragland is projected good enough to replace Bowman, then clearly this would be a good sequence.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok, so stay with Buckner Round 1, Ragland at our own Round 2, then trade up into 'later' Round 2 for Whitehair. So we'd be giving back Redmond plus picks, to get Whitehair.

It depends on your opinion of each player? i would've been ok right after the draft, cause at the time i thought Whitehair was a potential target. IF Ragland is projected good enough to replace Bowman, then clearly this would be a good sequence.

I don't know if he's good enough to replace him but he's certainly a good player and would match up with him well.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly feel they didn't get as much as they could have out of this draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I honestly feel they didn't get as much as they could have out of this draft.

Because 1) you're not giving any credit to Redmond. We read some had him as high as a late 1st rounder. 2) you're only focusing on the first two rounds.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we got Mack. He has another 5-6 years in him and he really good of rebuilt that Oline. That is the 1 move the Front office screwed up.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because 1) you're not giving any credit to Redmond. We read some had him as high as a late 1st rounder. 2) you're only focusing on the first two rounds.

Yes and Caradine, Martin and Thomas all had late first round grades as well. No I'm not giving Redmond any credit he'll have to prove what I think of him to be wrong and I hope he does but I'm not going to hedge my bets on it. Baalke didn't do well moving around in the draft in my opinion and I'm not alone in thinking that way.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and Caradine, Martin and Thomas all had late first round grades as well. No I'm not giving Redmond any credit he'll have to prove what I think of him to be wrong and I hope he does but I'm not going to hedge my bets on it. Baalke didn't do well moving around in the draft in my opinion and I'm not alone in thinking that way.
I agree, he should of moved back in the 2nd. He had so many picks. All these late picks mean crap. I would of been happy even if he traded some late picks to move up a rd for next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
10. 49ers at Quarterback

Quarterback is the one position that absolutely can’t be a hole on your roster. Understand, when we’re talking about 49ers quarterback, we’re really talking about Blaine Gabbert. It’s hard to imagine Colin Kaepernick winning this job. Yes, he’s a better runner than Gabbert, which fits Chip Kelly’s scheme. But Gabbert is markedly more sound as a thrower and decision-maker. Plus, the Niners have every incentive to sit Kaepernick this year so as not to run the risk of a major injury, which would make his contract guaranteed next year (the same thing Washington did with Robert Griffin III in 2015). The Niners already bit this bullet once this spring when Kaepernick’s recovery from shoulder and knee surgeries made it impossible to release him.

Remember, in 2013 everyone thought the mobile Michael Vick would be an ideal fit in Chip Kelly’s system. Vick started the season but got hurt and ultimately lost the job to Nick Foles, under whom the offense flowed smoother. It’s a similar situation here.

The question now becomes whether Gabbert can perform. His body of work suggests he can’t—and so the Niners must be included on this list of glaring holes. But for the sake of discussion, let’s look only at his raw passing skill, which says he can succeed here. Gabbert is essentially Foles but with a better arm and much quicker release. When afforded a clean pocket, he can be as good as almost any passer in the league. The problem is it must be a really clean pocket, otherwise Gabbert’s footwork goes awry and his decision-making sputters. Really clean pockets are uncommon in pro football. But, in theory, they’re more common in Kelly’s scheme, where the up-tempo approach can wear down pass rushers and the play designs often have the ball coming out promptly and on fairly defined reads. No one in San Francisco questions Gabbert’s work ethic; he’ll have little trouble learning Kelly’s user-friendly scheme. But for Gabbert to flourish, he’ll likely need near-perfect conditions around him. The Niners are far from having that.

Not going to claim the above means we're good at QB, but this does give us glimmer of hope. A hope that our offense can function better than last season. Yes, better than last season isn't saying much, but beats having the same as last season. :-)

This is why Baalke and Kelly keeps saying we'll run the ball, or at least try to run it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I look at the QB situation like polishing a turd, it's still a turd maybe not as stinky as last year but still a turd.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I look at the QB situation like polishing a turd, it's still a turd maybe not as stinky as last year but still a turd.

we ALL get our QB isn't good, but sometimes you can't fix everything whenever you want to. You can't expect Baalke to have obtained Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck THIS off season, or were you?

Even 'turd' players can improve if only just a little bit. I'll take an imporoved turd over the same turd any time.

It is human nature to rant and bytch, cause that comes to us effortlessly. But fans are supposed to enjoy sports and their favorite teams, so sometimes you have to look for optimistic things. If all your posts are negative, it wears us down.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we ALL get our QB isn't good, but sometimes you can't fix everything whenever you want to. You can't expect Baalke to have obtained Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck THIS off season, or were you?

Even 'turd' players can improve if only just a little bit. I'll take an imporoved turd over the same turd any time.

It is human nature to rant and bytch, cause that comes to us effortlessly. But fans are supposed to enjoy sports and their favorite teams, so sometimes you have to look for optimistic things. If all your posts are negative, it wears us down.

I knew they weren't getting a QB, that became clear with the Rams and Eagles trading up. I'll take the improved turd as well but it's still a turd. Honestly I'm all for these guys competing I'm just not going to expect a vast improvement of course anything is an improvement from last years offensive futility.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I knew they weren't getting a QB, that became clear with the Rams and Eagles trading up. I'll take the improved turd as well but it's still a turd. Honestly I'm all for these guys competing I'm just not going to expect a vast improvement of course anything is an improvement from last years offensive futility.

no reasonable fan is expecting a vast improvement, not even the most die hard ones.

how did you even get to 'vast', not one post said anything close to 'vast improvement'.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no reasonable fan is expecting a vast improvement, not even the most die hard ones.

how did you even get to 'vast', not one post said anything close to 'vast improvement'.

I didn't say you thought their would be vast improvement I merely stated I didn't expect it. Don't be so sensitive.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10. 49ers at Quarterback

Quarterback is the one position that absolutely can’t be a hole on your roster. Understand, when we’re talking about 49ers quarterback, we’re really talking about Blaine Gabbert. It’s hard to imagine Colin Kaepernick winning this job. Yes, he’s a better runner than Gabbert, which fits Chip Kelly’s scheme. But Gabbert is markedly more sound as a thrower and decision-maker. Plus, the Niners have every incentive to sit Kaepernick this year so as not to run the risk of a major injury, which would make his contract guaranteed next year (the same thing Washington did with Robert Griffin III in 2015). The Niners already bit this bullet once this spring when Kaepernick’s recovery from shoulder and knee surgeries made it impossible to release him.

Remember, in 2013 everyone thought the mobile Michael Vick would be an ideal fit in Chip Kelly’s system. Vick started the season but got hurt and ultimately lost the job to Nick Foles, under whom the offense flowed smoother. It’s a similar situation here.

The question now becomes whether Gabbert can perform. His body of work suggests he can’t—and so the Niners must be included on this list of glaring holes. But for the sake of discussion, let’s look only at his raw passing skill, which says he can succeed here. Gabbert is essentially Foles but with a better arm and much quicker release. When afforded a clean pocket, he can be as good as almost any passer in the league. The problem is it must be a really clean pocket, otherwise Gabbert’s footwork goes awry and his decision-making sputters. Really clean pockets are uncommon in pro football. But, in theory, they’re more common in Kelly’s scheme, where the up-tempo approach can wear down pass rushers and the play designs often have the ball coming out promptly and on fairly defined reads. No one in San Francisco questions Gabbert’s work ethic; he’ll have little trouble learning Kelly’s user-friendly scheme. But for Gabbert to flourish, he’ll likely need near-perfect conditions around him. The Niners are far from having that.

Not going to claim the above means we're good at QB, but this does give us glimmer of hope. A hope that our offense can function better than last season. Yes, better than last season isn't saying much, but beats having the same as last season. :-)

This is why Baalke and Kelly keeps saying we'll run the ball, or at least try to run it.

Gabbert regressed as the season went on last year. Hopefully Kelly can get something more out of him. I am sure either Gabbert or Kap would play better with a clean pocket and great pass blocking like the team had back in 2011 and 2012 but I don't think they will have that.