• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers Off-Season So Far: Reading Between The Lines

So this is what I read between the lines of free agency inactivity: As I pointed out earlier this year, the young talent the 49ers already have under contract needs to get reps on the field on Sundays. As a practical matter, every free agent we sign forecloses the career of one young player whose performance might have turned out better at a fraction of the price. We already have 46 such players who are either ‘keepers’ or awaiting audition, plus 11 additional draft picks (and UDFAs). With only 53 spots on the roster, how many free agents could we afford to sign? It’s a roster numbers game.

I think that was the real price of it, and that is the real reason why the team declined to pursue big free agents this offseason.

Good point.

I like this line of thinking...I myself was scratching my head with our free agent cricket show...but he's right, we're not one or two players away from grabbing a title...we are young again and these young players need to collectively cut their teeth and grow together. The needs will show themselves as they all progress as a team, and that's where we make our moves in the coming off seasons.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like this line of thinking...I myself was scratching my head with our free agent cricket show...but he's right, we're not one or two players away from grabbing a title...we are young again and these young players need to collectively cut their teeth and grow together. The needs will show themselves as they all progress as a team, and that's where we make our moves in the coming off seasons.

no doubt, and is called 'building thru the draft'.

It IS hard to resist those high paying FA's, but timing is the key for those guys.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It IS hard to resist those high paying FA's, but timing is the key for those guys.

I like where the D is headed again. On offense we might actually be decent if we can get that line tightened up and Hyde can stay healthy...much of which lies on the former. We have a ton of young talent in the receiving department that our previous coaching staffs barely let see the field. Now is the time for them...I hope Chip can utilize their strengths and make it work.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like where the D is headed again. On offense we might actually be decent if we can get that line tightened up and Hyde can stay healthy...much of which lies on the former. We have a ton of young talent in the receiving department that our previous coaching staffs barely let see the field. Now is the time for them...I hope Chip can utilize their strengths and make it work.

agree on defense, we couldn't fix everything at once but the foundation is there. We have three good DE's and hopefully Ian can come back healthy. If the front three can be disruptive, every else benefits.

With all this competition in the backfield, we should not only be good, but have good depth.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree on defense, we couldn't fix everything at once but the foundation is there. We have three good DE's and hopefully Ian can come back healthy. If the front three can be disruptive, every else benefits.

With all this competition in the backfield, we should not only be good, but have good depth.

It is a passing league and you can't have too many CBs. If Will Redmond recovers from his ACL injury, he has chance to be the nickel back and maybe challenge as a starter. I really think Blair is a sleeper and will surprise a lot of people. The offense ranked last last year and no where to go but up! We can all agree that Chip Kelly is an instant upgrade over Tomsula. I'm hoping he will know how to utilize our receivers and backs.

Last edited:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally the guy I really wanted them to sign was Mack, it would have been a huge upgrade for the O-Line, of course he has to want to sign with the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally the guy I really wanted them to sign was Mack, it would have been a huge upgrade for the O-Line, of course he has to want to sign with the team.

yes he would've helped no doubt.

speaking of which, someone has to be the Center besides Kilgore?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, some of the talking heads think he'll make the roster this year

after his very poor performance last season, just don't see it? He didn't even flash ANYTHING, whether at Center or Guard.

i'm NOT rooting for him to fail cause obviously thats wasted draft capital. Do hope he makes me eat 'paper'.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after his very poor performance last season, just don't see it? He didn't even flash ANYTHING, whether at Center or Guard.

i'm NOT rooting for him to fail cause obviously thats wasted draft capital. Do hope he makes me eat 'paper'.

He went to U$C so I could care less he's made some money and been a failure, they might as well give someone that they don't know stinks a shot.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilhoite resigned with the 49ers on a 1 year deal I think, I'm so excited.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blaine Gabbert 'taking control' at 49ers workouts

Very good Gabbert!

Unfortunately, we couldn't upgrade QB due to a weak FA class, and two teams mortgaging their futures. So all we can do is work with who we have for this season. So good of Gabbert to take the lead and beieve in himself. This doesn't mean he'll play like a Pro-Bowler, but this is better than him "laying back".

Kaep already knows the 49ers are limited, and he has to start playing too. He needs to attract attention for next off season, and you can't do it sitting on the bench.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilhoite resigned with the 49ers on a 1 year deal I think, I'm so excited.
I just dont get it. He must have something on Baalke or York. This guy is the WORST MLB in the NFL.

Please Hodges be the starter.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont get it. He must have something on Baalke or York. This guy is the WORST MLB in the NFL.

Please Hodges be the starter.

The only issue is that just because you beat out Wilhoite doesn't mean you're any good.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only issue is that just because you beat out Wilhoite doesn't mean you're any good.

It doesn't take much to beat out Wilhoite. Hopefully since it's a contract year for Hodges, he'll play his butt out. That's why it was so puzzling that Baalke didn't not address ILB in the draft. You lose Willis and Borland and do not replace them. It's a head scratcher.:L