• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for at least $14M/year, if not more? The current top CB's get north of $14M.

He is also 29 years old, is he closer to the upside of prime, or downside?

I would say 14 or 15 million a year is about right in today's climate. I would say he's in his prime probably the middle of it so he'll start to go the other way in 3 to 4 years most likely so yes by the end of the contract he will be over paid but I'm sure they can cut him and actually save more than they take for a cap hit.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say 14 or 15 million a year is about right in today's climate. I would say he's in his prime probably the middle of it so he'll start to go the other way in 3 to 4 years most likely so yes by the end of the contract he will be over paid but I'm sure they can cut him and actually save more than they take for a cap hit.

ok, don't have a strong opinion either way. Earlier, did expect we'd sign one pricey FA, and still ok if we do it now.

If we don't sign Norman that is fine too, cause you usually do this when your team is a contender. Every year there are top free agents to chase, we don't have to force Norman.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, don't have a strong opinion either way. Earlier, did expect we'd sign one pricey FA, and still ok if we do it now.

If we don't sign Norman that is fine too, cause you usually do this when your team is a contender. Every year there are top free agents to chase, we don't have to force Norman.

I like the idea of signing him simply because it would jump start the rebuild and allow them to focus on other positions in the draft. The 49ers have made this kind of move in the past if you recall them signing Justin Smith when they were pretty bad, and I believe Nate Clements who both turned out to great or good signings even if they paid a little more than they might have wanted to.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for at least $14M/year, if not more? The current top CB's get north of $14M.

He is also 29 years old, is he closer to the upside of prime, or downside?
Actually, he's 28 and will turn 29 at the end of the season. He's the same age as Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually, he's 28 and will turn 29 at the end of the season. He's the same age as Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell.

oh ok.

guess what bothered me the most is having only ONE good year? Then you think about that Panther D last season, and no doubt it helped him out. Baalke and staff will surely watch tape of all his seasons, and value him accordingly.

Baalke should rush out and make him the highest paid CB. Only fans would do something like that. haa

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree front load the deal so the last 2 years of the deal wouldnt be that bad. We have alot of cap so front loading it wouldnt be so bad.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little inside info on Panthers and Norman.:Last season
Man: Played 18%
Cover 2: 11%
Cover3: 28%
Cover 4: 26%
Cover 6: 8%
Others: 5%

This is the defenses that Norman played. He isnt just a Cover 2 guy. Panthers liked to change it up.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok.

guess what bothered me the most is having only ONE good year? Then you think about that Panther D last season, and no doubt it helped him out. Baalke and staff will surely watch tape of all his seasons, and value him accordingly.

Baalke should rush out and make him the highest paid CB. Only fans would do something like that. haa
He had one elite season, but PFF rated his 2014 season as very good too. I think he's worth the gamble, particularly if we front-load a deal to take advantage of our cap space.

I can't compare a big money signing of Norman to the signings of guys like Bruce Irvin or Olivier Vernon b/c he has a much better track record than they do and he's been Carolina's #1 Cb for a few years. It's much less of a gamble.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He had one elite season, but PFF rated his 2014 season as very good too. I think he's worth the gamble, particularly if we front-load a deal to take advantage of our cap space.

I can't compare a big money signing of Norman to the signings of guys like Bruce Irvin or Olivier Vernon b/c he has a much better track record than they do and he's been Carolina's #1 Cb for a few years. It's much less of a gamble.

oh ok, then that does take some concern away.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also would seem to be a solid tackler by the tackle numbers he has for a CB in each season. Plus I kind of like a CB that is literally willing to throw down with a flashy WR and throw him off his game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why the Rams will draft Carson Wentz, not Jared Goff - Inside the 49ers

Nice thought process BUT, i tend to think the Rams know they can run with Gurley, and are now looking for a passer. A passer will balance their offense, which is the most dangerous offense. The NFL today IS about pass first, not even more running. Don't think the Rams need to add a running QB, as an extension of Gurley.

Anyway, what does it have to do with us? It makes you think strengthening our D isn't such a bad idea at #7? While i do like Stanley, we should get a top D player if not him. The only one i'm not too sure about, is Bosa, because of the fit?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its the grades received at least a couple of years after that really matter. The grades right after the draft don't concern me all that much

yeah, thats why it is only very encouraging, there is more "we'll see" left.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the grades received at least a couple of years after that really matter. The grades right after the draft don't concern me all that much
True, just like after year 1 with reid. Most would say A+ now its more like C+.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
'Freak of nature' Osemele has Raiders teammates buzzing

Guess we could use a role playing run stopper, a NT who can hold his ground against these monster lines. Ian is injured and don't think Dorsey nor Dial are natural NT's? Maybe spend a 5th on a 'big body'?

This NT won't be all around, but thats why you only spend a 5th. He would be the short yarage guy, and MAYBE an occassional 1st/2nd down series? If Purcell is already that guy, fine.

this is also why bigger or stronger DE's are needed, they have to battle these whales all game.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Freak of nature' Osemele has Raiders teammates buzzing

Guess we could use a role playing run stopper, a NT who can hold his ground against these monster lines. Ian is injured and don't think Dorsey nor Dial are natural NT's? Maybe spend a 5th on a 'big body'?

This NT won't be all around, but thats why you only spend a 5th. He would be the short yarage guy, and MAYBE an occassional 1st/2nd down series? If Purcell is already that guy, fine.

this is also why bigger or stronger DE's are needed, they have to battle these whales all game.

I was kind of hoping the 49ers would target Osemele but instead we get Zane Beadles. Also I feel likeboth Dial and Dorsey have played well at NT so I'm not as concerned about it. Ideally they would play Ian Williams at NT and Armstead at one DE spot and Dorsey at the other with Dial/Purcell/Jerod-Eddie rotating in.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kind of hoping the 49ers would target Osemele but instead we get Zane Beadles. Also I feel likeboth Dial and Dorsey have played well at NT so I'm not as concerned about it. Ideally they would play Ian Williams at NT and Armstead at one DE spot and Dorsey at the other with Dial/Purcell/Jerod-Eddie rotating in.

My concern with both Dial and Dorsey is whether but can stay healthy for a whole season.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not Ian Williams and Dorsey?
I actually like Buckner here...there are a lot of really good QB'S and OL's in this draft available later. With that pic, we could have a nasty young D set in place like we did 4 years ago that we can assemble an offense behind. Just need to draft immediate needs and hold off on the IR gambles.