• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't take much to beat out Wilhoite. Hopefully since it's a contract year for Hodges, he'll play his butt out. That's why it was so puzzling that Baalke didn't not address ILB in the draft. You lose Willis and Borland and do not replace them. It's a head scratcher.:L

No totally surprised. Baalke loves to draft BPA (who he thinks is BPA anyway).

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after his very poor performance last season, just don't see it? He didn't even flash ANYTHING, whether at Center or Guard.

i'm NOT rooting for him to fail cause obviously thats wasted draft capital. Do hope he makes me eat 'paper'.

He definitely has a long way to go. He has youth on his side. I think he needs to put some bulk on and toughen up.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't take much to beat out Wilhoite. Hopefully since it's a contract year for Hodges, he'll play his butt out. That's why it was so puzzling that Baalke didn't not address ILB in the draft. You lose Willis and Borland and do not replace them. It's a head scratcher.:L

After this season it will have been two years since they retired. It's really inexcusable.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely has a long way to go. He has youth on his side. I think he needs to put some bulk on and toughen up.

Maybe being cut by the team that drafts you will turn the lights on for the guy but I don't expect much out of him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe being cut by the team that drafts you will turn the lights on for the guy but I don't expect much out of him.

It often isn't a lack of dedication or effort. Some guys just can't compete at the pro level

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Thomas last chance. The coaches need to see something or he is gone.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Cut Devey. Yesss Finally a good move.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After this season it will have been two years since they retired. It's really inexcusable.

I'm ok with Baalke's explanation, it does make sense in today's NFL game. Two thirds the time your D is in nickel or dime, meaning you not only need more guys in the secondary, but more quality. So his attempt to increase quality, makes sense.

Granted, i don't know about the specific players chosen, and i even expressed concern on the Robinson pick. So this post pertains to the concept, not the specific players.

How do you replace a Willis or a Borland? Odds are you have to draft an ILB within the first 3 rounds. You wouldn't draft an ILB round 6, AND expect he'd be a good replacement. Would you give back Redmond and replace him with an ILB? If so, can you name a few names with more value?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sakamoto: Myles Garrett Would Create

Wow! This guy looks like a top 5 pick for sure.

Assuming we do have a bad 2016 season, and get a high pick, we STILL need to look for a QB first. If none there that is worth it, then pass rusher is next. This guy would fit 'pass rusher' no doubt, along with all the other downs.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with Baalke's explanation, it does make sense in today's NFL game. Two thirds the time your D is in nickel or dime, meaning you not only need more guys in the secondary, but more quality. So his attempt to increase quality, makes sense.

Granted, i don't know about the specific players chosen, and i even expressed concern on the Robinson pick. So this post pertains to the concept, not the specific players.

How do you replace a Willis or a Borland? Odds are you have to draft an ILB within the first 3 rounds. You wouldn't draft an ILB round 6, AND expect he'd be a good replacement. Would you give back Redmond and replace him with an ILB? If so, can you name a few names with more value?

I understand needing depth int he defensive backfield but when you have a glaring hole in your base defense, and if they had a better ILB that could actually cover then they wouldn't have to be in nickle all the time. If I recall that was one of the things that made the Bowman/Willis pairing so difficult for offenses because both guys could play all three downs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand needing depth int he defensive backfield but when you have a glaring hole in your base defense, and if they had a better ILB that could actually cover then they wouldn't have to be in nickle all the time. If I recall that was one of the things that made the Bowman/Willis pairing so difficult for offenses because both guys could play all three downs.

Yeah, we could use another GOOD ILB, not saying otherwise. But am saying you can't fix everything at once, especially if no value arises at ILB. So fixing your secondary isn't such a bad alternative, you're 'covering' 2/3 the time.

We're only in our base D 1/3 the time, meaning Tartt comes in for that other ILB, 2/3 the time. Nowadays, you need a hybrid Safety/LB to cover TE's. There aren't many ILB's that can cover a TE anyway. This leads back to a previous post, unless you spend a high pick (example Myles Jack) on an ILB, you can't get one who also covers.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we could use another GOOD ILB, not saying otherwise. But am saying you can't fix everything at once, especially if no value arises at ILB. So fixing your secondary isn't such a bad alternative, you're 'covering' 2/3 the time.

We're only in our base D 1/3 the time, meaning Tartt comes in for that other ILB, 2/3 the time. Nowadays, you need a hybrid Safety/LB to cover TE's. There aren't many ILB's that can cover a TE anyway. This leads back to a previous post, unless you spend a high pick (example Myles Jack) on an ILB, you can't get one who also covers.

True, to an extent unless the guy has an issue of some sort like Smith and Jack did, or Bowman (character concerns I believe). Once again though having another LB that can play all three downs allows for more looks for the defense. Smith could easily cover any TE but he was an IR that went earlier than even I expected given the concerns.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course now that we know the outcome of the draft, I wish they had signed Mack (whatever it took) then drafted Buckner at #7, not traded back into the first to get Garnett, moved ahead of the Cowboys to take Jaylon Smith, then moved up into the 2nd to get Whitehair who was the 2nd or best OG prospect in the draft depending on who you believe. I don't image the draft board would have looked much different had that happened and they would have gotten more elite talent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course now that we know the outcome of the draft, I wish they had signed Mack (whatever it took) then drafted Buckner at #7, not traded back into the first to get Garnett, moved ahead of the Cowboys to take Jaylon Smith, then moved up into the 2nd to get Whitehair who was the 2nd or best OG prospect in the draft depending on who you believe. I don't image the draft board would have looked much different had that happened and they would have gotten more elite talent.

your opinion is fine, but respectfully disagree.

Mack would've been a good addition yes, but don't like bidding wars. The cap will go fast in the NEXt 3 years.

Right after the draft, i initially had concerns with Garnett too. Concern with trading up only, so do see your point here. But after thinking about it more, ok with "If you want him, get him". Garnett will be huge immediately, and will make us forget a 4th and 6th.

i'm obviously against IR players and don't need to explain the Jaylon Smith idea. :-)

So the only thing for me is Round 4, still think we should've taken Prescott.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just ordered my #99 Buckner Jersey.

Lets Go 49ers.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion is fine, but respectfully disagree.

Mack would've been a good addition yes, but don't like bidding wars. The cap will go fast in the NEXt 3 years.

Right after the draft, i initially had concerns with Garnett too. Concern with trading up only, so do see your point here. But after thinking about it more, ok with "If you want him, get him". Garnett will be huge immediately, and will make us forget a 4th and 6th.

i'm obviously against IR players and don't need to explain the Jaylon Smith idea. :-)

So the only thing for me is Round 4, still think we should've taken Prescott.

They also could have drafted Ragland out of Alabama without having to move up ahead of the Cowboys if you prefer, I personally prefer Jaylon Smith (I have faith that he will recover, the kid has never been injury prone, and only got hurt because of his freakish athletic skills). Then moved back up to get Whitehair which would have given them more picks through out the draft. Also they still would have needed to sign Mack for me to think of this as a slam dunk but they could have still signed that retread Beadles and made these moves as I don't think there is a great difference between Whitehair and Garnett.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I believe Mack signed for 9 million a year or so. I would rather have paid him 10-12 million a year and not paid Beadles a dime. Beadles is making just under 4 million a year, Mack just under 10 million, I would have paid him 11 million to try to make him a 9er.