• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That would depend on how your league scoring is weighed. My biggest concern with Hyde for FF purposes is whether he can make it through a full season. In my league, running backs go fast so I expect him to go fairly high

Wasn't too long ago, this was true in my league too. Something like 14 or 15 of the first 20 picks would be RB's. However, with the NFL being a 'passing league', things have changed quickly. Some RB's still go early, but last two years my Owners go more and more for WR's. Note i'm using plural and not one vs one.

Since they've done well and i haven't (die hard believer in RB's), this year i have to change. I may even go Antonio Brown at #1, and get Hyde in Round 2 (10 team league). i get the supply and demand of RB's, but that isn't enough to overcome a good WR corps.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't too long ago, this was true in my league too. Something like 14 or 15 of the first 20 picks would be RB's. However, with the NFL being a 'passing league', things have changed quickly. Some RB's still go early, but last two years my Owners go more and more for WR's. Note i'm using plural and not one vs one.

Since they've done well and i haven't (die hard believer in RB's), this year i have to change. I may even go Antonio Brown at #1, and get Hyde in Round 2 (10 team league). i get the supply and demand of RB's, but that isn't enough to overcome a good WR corps.

For me, it depends on where I end up drafting. If I have one of the top three picks, I am probably going to take a RB with the first pick if the top RBs are available. But if I am picking late in the 1st and there has been a big run on RBs, I would take a top 5 WR before taking a lower level RB. I would take a RB with the next pick which is only a few slots down. In one league, we can play two QBs so the QBs go faster. Really depends

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For me, it depends on where I end up drafting. If I have one of the top three picks, I am probably going to take a RB with the first pick if the top RBs are available. But if I am picking late in the 1st and there has been a big run on RBs, I would take a top 5 WR before taking a lower level RB. I would take a RB with the next pick which is only a few slots down. In one league, we can play two QBs so the QBs go faster. Really depends

Ok, it does depend. i have the first pick out of 10 teams, so which RB should you take?

I know you can't be biased in FF, but dang it if i have to cheer for Gurley week in and week out. ugh!

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, it does depend. i have the first pick out of 10 teams, so which RB should you take?

I know you can't be biased in FF, but dang it if i have to cheer for Gurley week in and week out. ugh!

IDK. Our draft isn't till August 30th. I haven't really paid much attention. Have to look at the list. I think the RB list is going to change this year with some top guys not doing well from last year. I drafted Eddie Lacy with a top pick last year and it cost me cause he was crappy most of the time. I know what you mean about having to cheer for players on teams you gotta play FF to win it :).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Grant Cohn: Five trades the 49ers should make before season starts

Not agreeing with all these trades, but do like the thinking. If we're projecting a 'good' player to sit, why not explore trades now? Yeah, if we can get draft value from these guys, beats cutting them.

Of these five 49ers listed, don't want to trade Tartt for sure. Tartt is the hybrid Safety/LB in the Box, and plays in certain packages. I would think the odds are high he takes over Safety full-time, next season? Guessing Bethea won't last another season at his high cap hit?

I tend to think we need Kaep even if highly paid, simply because there isn't anybody else right NOW? But if someone wants to argue Kaep "isn't anybody else" himself, won't argue back. So, highly doubt he can be traded but at the same time, won't sweat it if it happens.

It appears we might have some value at CB too? Nothing big, but even a late round pick beats nothing.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Cohn: Five trades the 49ers should make before season starts

Not agreeing with all these trades, but do like the thinking. If we're projecting a 'good' player to sit, why not explore trades now? Yeah, if we can get draft value from these guys, beats cutting them.

Of these five 49ers listed, don't want to trade Tartt for sure. Tartt is the hybrid Safety/LB in the Box, and plays in certain packages. I would think the odds are high he takes over Safety full-time, next season? Guessing Bethea won't last another season at his high cap hit?

I tend to think we need Kaep even if highly paid, simply because there isn't anybody else right NOW? But if someone wants to argue Kaep "isn't anybody else" himself, won't argue back. So, highly doubt he can be traded but at the same time, won't sweat it if it happens.

It appears we might have some value at CB too? Nothing big, but even a late round pick beats nothing.

Agreed about not trading Tartt, and especially NOT for Gordon. On a team that has a recent unpleasant history with head cases and druggies, I don't think Gordon is someone we'd want to take a chance on.

Not sure about the wisdom of trading for a potential free agent ILB. Don't oppose trading Davis, necessarily, but don't see the point in trading for a guy who might just prefer to hit free agency and see what the market will bear.

Sadly, probably is wise to trade Miller, good FB but he clearly isn't going to make the team as a TE. I think Jerrod-Eddie has a better chance to make the team but if we trade him, ok. Not sure that RB is where we could get the most value, but whatever.

The Kaep trade is nonsensical. As one who lives in the DC area, the only reason the Redskins haven't signed Cousins is disagreement about value. He wants to stay, they want him to stay, they just need another year to come to agreement on how much $ he'll eventually get. The Redskins aren't going to make a big deal for another QB to guard against Cousins 'falling on his face'. (Or whatever phrase Cohn used.) No one expects that, and to trade for someone like Kaep would send Cousins the exact wrong message. And as far as backup QBs go, inexplicably enough the Redskins seem to love Colt McCoy. Chris Cooley, the former TE and now Redskins analyst, even went so far recently as to call him one of the top 32 QBs in the league, a guy who could start for a lot of other teams. Jim Harbaugh might disagree with that appraisal, but it does signal how much the Redskins like him and so wouldn't even be looking for someone to displace McCoy.

49ers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know where to put this so I figured I would create a general thread apart for the Chip Kelly hire

I kind of read some of this, and agree that he began showing flashes under Harbaugh but after he came in for Smith I felt like the following season he didn't really improve kind of stayed were he was or got a little worse each year since then so to me it's kind of hard to call that becoming a star.
I didn't know where to put this so I figured I would create a general thread apart for the Chip Kelly hire

Why do you think it took so long for Eddie DiBartollo to get into the HOF?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about not trading Tartt, and especially NOT for Gordon. On a team that has a recent unpleasant history with head cases and druggies, I don't think Gordon is someone we'd want to take a chance on.

Not sure about the wisdom of trading for a potential free agent ILB. Don't oppose trading Davis, necessarily, but don't see the point in trading for a guy who might just prefer to hit free agency and see what the market will bear.

Sadly, probably is wise to trade Miller, good FB but he clearly isn't going to make the team as a TE. I think Jerrod-Eddie has a better chance to make the team but if we trade him, ok. Not sure that RB is where we could get the most value, but whatever.

The Kaep trade is nonsensical. As one who lives in the DC area, the only reason the Redskins haven't signed Cousins is disagreement about value. He wants to stay, they want him to stay, they just need another year to come to agreement on how much $ he'll eventually get. The Redskins aren't going to make a big deal for another QB to guard against Cousins 'falling on his face'. (Or whatever phrase Cohn used.) No one expects that, and to trade for someone like Kaep would send Cousins the exact wrong message. And as far as backup QBs go, inexplicably enough the Redskins seem to love Colt McCoy. Chris Cooley, the former TE and now Redskins analyst, even went so far recently as to call him one of the top 32 QBs in the league, a guy who could start for a lot of other teams. Jim Harbaugh might disagree with that appraisal, but it does signal how much the Redskins like him and so wouldn't even be looking for someone to displace McCoy.
I would take Gordon but I would buy low. He is 1 mistake away from be gone from the NFL. We can trade Browns Pears, Wilhoite and Martin for Gordon. LOL

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Gordon but I would buy low. He is 1 mistake away from be gone from the NFL. We can trade Browns Pears, Wilhoite and Martin for Gordon. LOL
I agree. It would be worth it to give him a shot here since we need another WR, but no way I'd give up a lot to have him. Buying low is the way to go.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stat surprised and really shocked me. Then again, I don't follow the Niners much...

Guess this guy is saying he was wrong to include Fleming in that total

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stat surprised and really shocked me. Then again, I don't follow the Niners much...

Guess this guy is saying he was wrong to include Fleming in that total

Good News Tank is looking good, and they like Redmond and Reaser. All 3 should be factors this year. Smelter is still hurt.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly WR(of course so is QB but....) is going to be a big problem this year. If they could at least keep defenses honest so the running game can be effective it would be nice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/news/97073-grant-cohn-game-baalke-49ers-could-quick-turnaround/

Not agreeing nor disagreeing with getting rid of Baalke, but don't agree we can turnover the roster so quickly. It takes 3 solid consecutive drafts to turnover a roster, and that assumes the QB you drafted pans out WELL? that is, unless Cohn's definition of turning over a roster, is only the QB and WR?

IF Baalke is fired, Gamble will just build on what Baalke established so far. Yes, the QB, WR, and maybe even RB will be more suited to Kelly, but the ROSTER can't turn over that quickly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Updated 49ers Scapegoat List: Hey, Trent Baalke, you're the new No. 1 and-contrary to many previous top seeds-you really, really deserve it - Talking Points

good write up and as we think back to 2010-11 to now, how true. I especially like the part where he says Baalke is really just a scout. haaa

Don't think Baalke's drafts were so horrible, but i certainly had enough of IR picks. When i first complained of IR picks two seasons ago, the old crew here didn't like it, but it is even more true now after adding Thomas and Smelter.

Next draft i certainly see us looking at a QB and WR in the higher rounds. I can see us trading up for a QB if someone is worth going after.