• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated 49ers Scapegoat List: Hey, Trent Baalke, you're the new No. 1 and-contrary to many previous top seeds-you really, really deserve it - Talking Points

good write up and as we think back to 2010-11 to now, how true. I especially like the part where he says Baalke is really just a scout. haaa

Don't think Baalke's drafts were so horrible, but i certainly had enough of IR picks. When i first complained of IR picks two seasons ago, the old crew here didn't like it, but it is even more true now after adding Thomas and Smelter.

Next draft i certainly see us looking at a QB and WR in the higher rounds. I can see us trading up for a QB if someone is worth going after.

LOL, I knew the article was written by Kawakami just by the title. I would agree with much of the state of the team but I can't call Baalke a scapegoat. Yes, York is ultimately responsible but Baalke is the GM and is responsible for drafting and putting together the roster. If his drafts don't pan out, he is the one responsible for that.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Baalke isn't a scapegoat. He's a responsible party. If the team craters this year, if Baalke picks like Ward, Patton, Carradine, Hyde, McD, etc. don't play well, Baalke will get a richly deserved firing. That is not a scapegoat.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its possible most or all of these recent draft picks will play well individually, but not 'look as good' because the team doesn't? As we all know, we're not going to get stellar QB play.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its possible most or all of these recent draft picks will play well individually, but not 'look as good' because the team doesn't? As we all know, we're not going to get stellar QB play.

I don't think so. I don't think Gabbert is going to make or break Baalke. I think Gabbert is serviceable and will play well enough to meet this year's low expectations if the surrounding cast plays well enough. Baalke has spend a lot of draft capital on defensive players. How will the defense as a whole play out? Gabbert will throw passes to Vance McDonald. Will VM catch them or continue to drop them and be a liability in the pass offense. I think there will be a lot of things to look at that will make or break Baalke. I think Baalke is gone if the team as a whole regresses or looks as bad as last year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this we have one Hell of a QB class this year in the Draft. Lets Hope we pick the right one.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good class? Someone said the upcoming class was a weak one.
I thought it was weak at 1st but didnt do much research on it and their are a lot of draft eligible QBs. I think we will have 3-4 1st rd talent QBs. Not saying they all will pan out. You have Watson, kaaya, Kelly, Kizer. Then throw in some 2nd rd talent with Mayfield and Dobbs and Falk.

Overall not bad. I like Kizer and Falk.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought it was weak at 1st but didnt do much research on it and their are a lot of draft eligible QBs. I think we will have 3-4 1st rd talent QBs. Not saying they all will pan out. You have Watson, kaaya, Kelly, Kizer. Then throw in some 2nd rd talent with Mayfield and Dobbs and Falk.

Overall not bad. I like Kizer and Falk.

start the evaluation on those with proven accuracy, then TRY to determine which exhibit the most intangibles. don't start with 'athletic' or 'dual threat' or 'strong armed' types.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the QB that gives you the best bang at that position is Kizer. Very accurate, Good arm, Mobile, and good body type. Also a very smart QB. Makes good changes at the line. Now Im a little bias because of a ND fan I have watched him the most but if I try to take my fan hood out he is the best. Watson screams Boom or Bust. Kelly has a lot of the same things as Kizer but makes some stupid mistakes. Kind of how I felt about Goff. I will pay attention to the QBs this year and get back to you by mid season.

Sidenote: Another thing I really like about Kizer he really knows when to stay in the pocket and isnt afraid of pressure coming at him. He stays in the pocket and looks at all WR then makes the decision to run or make the right read.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
start the evaluation on those with proven accuracy, then TRY to determine which exhibit the most intangibles. don't start with 'athletic' or 'dual threat' or 'strong armed' types.
This year, I'll be watching Kaaya from Miami and Kelly at Ole Miss.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, I'll be watching Kaaya from Miami and Kelly at Ole Miss.
not a big Kaaya but I am willing to see him change my mind. I like Kelly but you can see he still has a learning curve on reading Defense. Overall talent is there.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kizer from norte dame caught my attention against texas
This kid has all the tools. I don't see much of a weakness from him. To be a little picky he some times has trouble with the screen passes. He short arms it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Grant Cohn: 49ers’ thinking flawed in drafting all those torn ACLs

This is clear already without even reading this article, Baalke has living reality proof this ACL theory doesn't work. But this article is good because it comes from outside 'football writers'.

My opinion is no 'IR' guy Round 4 or higher, but after reading this make it Round 6 and higher. No matter how much a 'steal' that player is, if he doesn't come back to play or no longer plays like a steal, not worth it.

But there are two guys who are 'hanging on' and i would think there are different levels of tear....ala Redmond? IF so, lets leave Round 7 for these rare situations.

Still recall when i first brought this up the previous season, some past posters argued this theory was still valid. i recall there is at least one current poster who argued this thinking was still valid.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is clear already without even reading this article, Baalke has living reality proof this ACL theory doesn't work. But this article is good because it comes from outside 'football writers'.

My opinion is no 'IR' guy Round 4 or higher, but after reading this make it Round 6 and higher. No matter how much a 'steal' that player is, if he doesn't come back to play or no longer plays like a steal, not worth it.

Considering his track record, you'd think he'd have learned his lesson, but NOOOO. Baalke went and drafted yet another ACL case in Redmond, who starts the season on IR. All it took was a single Rd 1 bust at WR (Jenkins) for Baalke to be gun-shy about drafting a WR in the first rd or 2, but even after a half dozen failures he just can't get this ACL thing through his head.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But there are two guys who are 'hanging on' and i would think there are different levels of tear....ala Redmond? IF so, lets leave Round 7 for these rare situations.

Still recall when i first brought this up the previous season, some past posters argued this theory was still valid. i recall there is at least one current poster who argued this thinking was still valid.

I read this article this morning. Great perspective. I was okay with this strategy when this team had a loaded roster and there was no way to keep all the draft picks anyway. This team is in an entirely different place now. I don't know anyone that thinks this is still a great strategy. Also, we can put up a list of all the nominated players who flamed out. At the end of the day, the issue is much bigger

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/commentary/1601-49ers-face-unusually-important-opening-game/

makes sense to me.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Considering his track record, you'd think he'd have learned his lesson, but NOOOO. Baalke went and drafted yet another ACL case in Redmond, who starts the season on IR. All it took was a single Rd 1 bust at WR (Jenkins) for Baalke to be gun-shy about drafting a WR in the first rd or 2, but even after a half dozen failures he just can't get this ACL thing through his head.

Yep, if he does this again next draft, he'll have no way to justify it. Even trying to use Carradine as proof, won't cut it.

The results aren't even gray, it is a clear cut proven failure.

BTW - For me, not including Redmond on this list. Yes, he is close but it wasn't 100% for sure he'd 'redshirt'.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read this article this morning. Great perspective. I was okay with this strategy when this team had a loaded roster and there was no way to keep all the draft picks anyway. This team is in an entirely different place now. I don't know anyone that thinks this is still a great strategy. Also, we can put up a list of all the nominated players who flamed out. At the end of the day, the issue is much bigger

Yeah ok, at the time he first started doing it there were no results yet. So being we had a good team and extra picks, ok to try.

why all of a sudden there are multiple articles coming out NOW? We could've seen it happening last season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok, at the time he first started doing it there were no results yet. So being we had a good team and extra picks, ok to try.

why all of a sudden there are multiple articles coming out NOW? We could've seen it happening last season.
There were articles last season too. I remember reading a couple. I think this topic keeps getting revisited because Baalke keeps using it on players like Smelter that don't pan out.