• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you type this with a straight face, you can't know that based off of how he played last year or are you basing it off of how he played 3 or 4 years ago which is foolish in my opinion. He may not be helpful at all.

i said help, not make the Pro Bowl.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While Baalke would never admit it, everything San Francisco has done to this point indicates the club is taking a long-term approach to re-building its roster after last offseason saw the departure of so many key players like Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Frank Gore, Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and others.

And because the 49ers are not close to competing in the NFC West with the Cardinals or Seahawks in 2016, it’s probably best they avoid over spending on free agents and focus on developing players within their own system. It’s the realistic approach that would give San Francisco a better chance to compete for a playoff spot in 2017 and beyond.

Yes, would've been nice if we added a good FA, but we didn't so life goes on. "Long term approach" means get a good draft class or two first, then add the best FA's.

Yes, 2017 and beyond is realistic, so keeping your good cap situation isn't a bad thing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There weren’t many pass-rushers available in free agency and head coach Chip Kelly suggested the 49ers didn’t seriously pursue defensive end Olivier Vernon and outside linebacker Bruce Irvin, a duo that received $65 million in guaranteed money despite never making a Pro Bowl.

Wow!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Baalke would never admit it, everything San Francisco has done to this point indicates the club is taking a long-term approach to re-building its roster after last offseason saw the departure of so many key players like Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Frank Gore, Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and others.

And because the 49ers are not close to competing in the NFC West with the Cardinals or Seahawks in 2016, it’s probably best they avoid over spending on free agents and focus on developing players within their own system. It’s the realistic approach that would give San Francisco a better chance to compete for a playoff spot in 2017 and beyond.

Yes, would've been nice if we added a good FA, but we didn't so life goes on. "Long term approach" means get a good draft class or two first, then add the best FA's.

Yes, 2017 and beyond is realistic, so keeping your good cap situation isn't a bad thing.
The problem is our GM says we are not rebuilding we are retooling. Big difference.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There weren’t many pass-rushers available in free agency and head coach Chip Kelly suggested the 49ers didn’t seriously pursue defensive end Olivier Vernon and outside linebacker Bruce Irvin, a duo that received $65 million in guaranteed money despite never making a Pro Bowl.

Wow!
Oh boy if he is calling shots we are in trouble.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said help, not make the Pro Bowl.

Beadles is essentially like signing Pears last year which wasn't very helpful just look at how badly the QB's got hit last year. I would have preferred signing someone that would actually make an impact and potentially be a Pro Bowl type player vs a washed up guy that use to be a Pro Bowler. If they were going to sign guys like this just don't even bother spending the money.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beadles is essentially like signing Pears last year which wasn't very helpful just look at how badly the QB's got hit last year. I would have preferred signing someone that would actually make an impact and potentially be a Pro Bowl type player vs a washed up guy that use to be a Pro Bowler. If they were going to sign guys like this just don't even bother spending the money.

Very true. Erik Pears, Devey, Shareece Wright. Complete waste of money and roster space. These players were bad coming in. I don't know how anyone can think these types of players are going to provide anything of value.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Erik Pears, Devey, Shareece Wright. Complete waste of money and roster space. These players were bad coming in. I don't know how anyone can think these types of players are going to provide anything of value.
Don't forget about Cook.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO Eric Reid isn't playing close to a pro bowler now. Not saying Reid can't play at all, but last season he took bad angles defending run AND pass. i won't be surprised if he 'shares' time this season, combine that with Ward and Tartt on the upswing.

Dial is obviously a pleasant surprise and yes, the type of draft picks we need. But its only great if they're ADDED to quality picks from higher rounds.

Hate to say it, but don't see the rest of them taking a step up. If they had it in them, it would've flashed by now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Eric Reid isn't playing close to a pro bowler now. Not saying Reid can't play at all, but last season he took bad angles defending run AND pass. i won't be surprised if he 'shares' time this season, combine that with Ward and Tartt on the upswing.

Dial is obviously a pleasant surprise and yes, the type of draft picks we need. But its only great if they're ADDED to quality picks from higher rounds.

Hate to say it, but don't see the rest of them taking a step up. If they had it in them, it would've flashed by now.

I wonder how much Reid has been affected by concussions? I don't have much faith in the rest of the group either that hasn't done well. McDonald has great physical traits but stone hands and can't seem to stay healthy. Patton is a big question mark to me. Is he just not good or is it an issue of our poor offense in general?

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much Reid has been affected by concussions? I don't have much faith in the rest of the group either that hasn't done well. McDonald has great physical traits but stone hands and can't seem to stay healthy. Patton is a big question mark to me. Is he just not good or is it an issue of our poor offense in general?

I think we have some good young talent on this team, but much like Harbs, TomTom kept them off of the field in favor of failing vets or retreads. I think that we may be fairly surprised in what we have in the youth movement concerning WR, OL, and DB's. It's a big if, but I think now is as good a time as any to see what they can do as starters together.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have some good young talent on this team, but much like Harbs, TomTom kept them off of the field in favor of failing vets or retreads. I think that we may be fairly surprised in what we have in the youth movement concerning WR, OL, and DB's. It's a big if, but I think now is as good a time as any to see what they can do as starters together.

Man, I hope so. I am not too down on OL, but hated losing Boone because that is another hole to fill. I like the Brown kid and having Kilgore back at Center really helps. As long as Pears, Devey, and Martin aren't playing we should be a lot better this year, lol.

WR's hopefully Kelly can find better ways to utilize what we have. If Ellington stays healthy, he could be an asset. Hopefully Smelter shows something too.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I hope so. I am not too down on OL, but hated losing Boone because that is another hole to fill. I like the Brown kid and having Kilgore back at Center really helps. As long as Pears, Devey, and Martin aren't playing we should be a lot better this year, lol.

WR's hopefully Kelly can find better ways to utilize what we have. If Ellington stays healthy, he could be an asset. Hopefully Smelter shows something too.

Yea I really liked how Tiller came in off the PS and was an instant upgrade over Devey...nearly took 3/4 of the season for TomTom to pull the trigger. I'm very interested to see how Smelter does as well as Ellington and the CFL guy, just read a great article on his path to the NFL. He should leave everything on the field having this opportunity.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I really liked how Tiller came in off the PS and was an instant upgrade over Devey...nearly took 3/4 of the season for TomTom to pull the trigger. I'm very interested to see how Smelter does as well as Ellington and the CFL guy, just read a great article on his path to the NFL. He should leave everything on the field having this opportunity.

Tiller was so much better than Devey. Apparently, the coaching staff was really high on him so I don't know why it took so long. I don't think Martin is going to pan out. He was so bad, I don't see him taking that leap to becoming a good starter in the NFL. Hopefully the CFL guy works out. I am not expecting much. I don't know of any CFL WRs that became big time players in the NFL.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carradine is now 260 and going to play outside linebacker. I don't have much hope for that either.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiller was so much better than Devey. Apparently, the coaching staff was really high on him so I don't know why it took so long. I don't think Martin is going to pan out. He was so bad, I don't see him taking that leap to becoming a good starter in the NFL. Hopefully the CFL guy works out. I am not expecting much. I don't know of any CFL WRs that became big time players in the NFL.

From what the article said, he's a 6'3" solid clean route runner...hopefully that translates to the NFL. That said I have no recollection of a WR making the transition into any sort of contributor at the next level...fingers crossed...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not going to lie I would like to see the 49ers trade him. He still has good trade value. Start Tartt and Ward at the safety spots.