• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The latest I've read is the Denver offered a 4th round pick which really is like 5th rounder because of their position. Cleveland offered their 3rd round pick which is much better and the 49ers prefer to make a deal with Cleveland but the Browns want Kap to take a significant pay cut which he is unwilling to do so the saga drags on.

Denver and Cleveland can work with the 49ers on draft compensation. They can throw in future or later picks to get it done. However, both Denver and Cleveland want Kaep to drop his cost. So now Kaep has the 'pressure' to lower his cost, in order to get his trade wish. sorry, but you can't have your wish AND money at the same time.

Cleveland has the better draft pick now, but think Denver will up their offer. They think he is worth a 4th which they don't have, so it'll end up their 3rd. Maybe we throw in a future 7th, but don't see us throwing in a 6th (tradable 6th)?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver and Cleveland can work with the 49ers on draft compensation. They can throw in future or later picks to get it done. However, both Denver and Cleveland want Kaep to drop his cost. So now Kaep has the 'pressure' to lower his cost, in order to get his trade wish. sorry, but you can't have your wish AND money at the same time.

Cleveland has the better draft pick now, but think Denver will up their offer. They think he is worth a 4th which they don't have, so it'll end up their 3rd. Maybe we throw in a future 7th, but don't see us throwing in a 6th (tradable 6th)?

Apparently according to sources, Kaep was making good progress with Denver on a renegotiated contract whereas Kaep doesn't want to take a big pay cut to go to Cleveland which is losing free agents. So, I think with the Denver, the issue is between the 49ers and Denver, but with Cleveland the issue is between Kap and Cleveland.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently according to sources, Kaep was making good progress with Denver on a renegotiated contract whereas Kaep doesn't want to take a big pay cut to go to Cleveland which is losing free agents. So, I think with the Denver, the issue is between the 49ers and Denver, but with Cleveland the issue is between Kap and Cleveland.

IF true, then a deal should get done shortly....with Denver. we want a 2nd and Denver offers a 4th, they can negotiate something inbetween. I would think we'd want some of their 2017 picks, but whatever, they should be able to deal?

If Kaep is balking at Cleveland, then his choices are 1) lower his asking price with Denver, or 2) stay with the 49ers. He will lower his price, cause staying in SF will hurt him more (pride, not financially). Secondly, he gets to join a quality team.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF true, then a deal should get done shortly....with Denver. we want a 2nd and Denver offers a 4th, they can negotiate something inbetween. I would think we'd want some of their 2017 picks, but whatever, they should be able to deal?

If Kaep is balking at Cleveland, then his choices are 1) lower his asking price with Denver, or 2) stay with the 49ers. He will lower his price, cause staying in SF will hurt him more (pride, not financially). Secondly, he gets to join a quality team.

I've read Denver is sticking to their offer and isn't going to offer anything better

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've read Denver is sticking to their offer and isn't going to offer anything better

That's fine, again its a game of chicken and i'm ok with Baalke sticking to his guns.

MAYBE on March 31st, Kaep craters first, and lowers his cost with Cleveland?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the 49ers outright cutting him and be done with. I wouldn't be surprised if this story dies for a couple of weeks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine, again its a game of chicken and i'm ok with Baalke sticking to his guns.

MAYBE on March 31st, Kaep craters first, and lowers his cost with Cleveland?

Four parties involved. Someone needs to blink

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows:

My suspicion: If #Broncos offered their third-round pick for Kaepernick, this standoff would end. Might be time to call in Stanley Burrell.

Mike Garafolo:

Total standoff in Kaepernick situation. If CLE, DEN are waiting for Niners to cut him, it'll be a long wait. Trade only way out right now.

Broncos way off on comp (see @MikeSilver timeline), Browns never made a formal trade offer and contract an issue. No one in any rush.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even if April 1st passes, the 49ers can still trade Kaep to one of these teams. the only difference is his contract numbers are set. but even after April 1st, wouldn't Kaep still be able to renegotiate it lower, to facilitate a trade?

Anyway, back to the here and now........since other new QB contracts are sky high, his $12M shouldn't be a deal killer? Unless Denver is against the cap?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the 49ers outright cutting him and be done with. I wouldn't be surprised if this story dies for a couple of weeks.
why cut him when you know u can trade for him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if April 1st passes, the 49ers can still trade Kaep to one of these teams. the only difference is his contract numbers are set. but even after April 1st, wouldn't Kaep still be able to renegotiate it lower, to facilitate a trade?

Anyway, back to the here and now........since other new QB contracts are sky high, his $12M shouldn't be a deal killer? Unless Denver is against the cap?
Yes. The April 1st date means crap right now. He can always renegotiate his contract with the traded team. 49ers also dont care if they have to keep him. They have the money and if is just to be the back up he wont hit clauses in his contract to make more. So he would make the 11.5. He hast potential to hit 16.5 I think . I might be wrong but its something across thoughs lines. He has incentives in his contract. Then after this up and coming season u try and trade him again and if not then you cut him.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why cut him when you know u can trade for him.

If SF can get anything for him, fine. I'm just saying that I don't care if we actually do get anything for him. I just want him off the team, so we can start fresh....I don't want the slightest bit of a possible year after year after year situation much like Alex Smith. Move on.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If SF can get anything for him, fine. I'm just saying that I don't care if we actually do get anything for him. I just want him off the team, so we can start fresh....I don't want the slightest bit of a possible year after year after year situation much like Alex Smith. Move on.
Im with you that I think trade is our best option. I like Kap and wanted to see what he can do with Chip Kelly but I think its time to move on. We are rebuilding anyways so lets draft a QB(even know its a weak class) and move forward. We just cant miss on QB. We need to hit on it. im not talking about MVP but at least a pro bowl type QB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Im jealous of teams that have a real front office.

Pats just made a nice trade. That is going to be a scary combo with Gronk. It might bring back the days they have Hernandez and Gronk.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I saw that article. Just shows how bad Baalke has done. Crazy how other teams are doing so well. Did baalke forget about trading. LOL

Im telling you he is on vacation. He is taking this year off.

Sad to see as a fan.

What did he say last year that we are not rebuilding we are retooling. LOL He is blind as hell.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anthony Davis hasn't filed his paperwork yet, but the season opens April 4th. April 4th isn't THAT far off, just two weeks from now. Granted the opening of the season is only work outs, but if you were REALLY serious about returning, why wait till the last minute?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chip Kelly lauds 49ers' plan with free agency

“I think you just have to look at who fits and who’s the right fit for the organization. I don’t know if it’s let big money deals go or not go, it’s just what exactly are you looking for. Our guys do a great job of targeting what we want the San Francisco 49ers to be, and see how it works out from a contract standpoint.”

Kelly said there are a lot of elements to take into account when entering free agency, including how a player fits into the salary structure of the team.

“Are we going to take this player and pay him more than anybody on our team? And is that player worth more than anybody on our current team?” Kelly said. “You also have to kind of look at that.

“Some of the money that was being thrown around at the beginning, you got to be able to manage that. You got to pay some guy who’s never been to a Pro Bowl that’s going to make more than anybody on your roster. That’s a little bit difficult. There are a lot of things that get involved in some of these things.”

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly lauds 49ers' plan with free agency

“I think you just have to look at who fits and who’s the right fit for the organization. I don’t know if it’s let big money deals go or not go, it’s just what exactly are you looking for. Our guys do a great job of targeting what we want the San Francisco 49ers to be, and see how it works out from a contract standpoint.”

Kelly said there are a lot of elements to take into account when entering free agency, including how a player fits into the salary structure of the team.

“Are we going to take this player and pay him more than anybody on our team? And is that player worth more than anybody on our current team?” Kelly said. “You also have to kind of look at that.

“Some of the money that was being thrown around at the beginning, you got to be able to manage that. You got to pay some guy who’s never been to a Pro Bowl that’s going to make more than anybody on your roster. That’s a little bit difficult. There are a lot of things that get involved in some of these things.”

I like most of this...but, this isn't college...it's not a popularity contest via cash...if the need is there, you pay for it...you don't sign retreads, has beens, or never-will-bes at a bargan price, turn around and piss into the wind expecting no piss to get all over your rig.

Either you're paying top dollar to fill a position of need, or you're relying on your draft skills to fill those needs (ie hitting on a few mid range pics, packaging to move up, or finding a gem late). Thus far, Baalke has shown the skill of a trunk Stevie Wonder playing darts in the dark in both respects. I'll eat two of those words if Smelter comes on the scene like an angry bull...but as we all know...a QB needs more than 3 seconds to make it through ONE progression.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Kelly is saying means crap because he knows he needs to back his boss. Trust me Kelly wants players. He has to play it low after what happen with the Eagles. Just like him saying he wants Kap if he stays. Of course you do, you have to say that so you dont throw Baalke under the bus.