• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex better show something against the Raiders

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you believe he is a good QB if he sits his rookie year? And by your standard he would never have seen the field because we switched coaches/coordinators every year so he would never have gotten a chance to be comfortable with anything. I'm not saying I disagree on letting kap rest but each case is unique and some guys just play better by playing. We would have had this same discussion about Bradford and needing time from a wacky offense when he came out

Yes, if Kap has the luxury too. Exactly every situation is unique, Pat Shurmur placed Bradford in environment to be successful, hence the low YPA. He didn't let his rookie QB sit back in the pocket too long.

I believe, Mike Nolan would have ruined any QB they drafted in 2005. Also, Raye would have probably ruined Bradford.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, if Kap has the luxury too. Exactly every situation is unique, Pat Shurmur placed Bradford in environment to be successful, hence the low YPA. He didn't let his rookie QB sit back in the pocket too long.

I believe, Mike Nolan would have ruined any QB they drafted in 2005. Also, Raye would have probably ruined Bradford.

So we both agree they would have ruined anyone. The thing is, look so far at what we have kap doing in games. Dinks and dunks, lots of handing off. Stuff that irritates me because I want to see what the kid can do but it's clear they just want him to manage and build confidence first.

With gore behind him, edwards and davis on the outside, and walker as the safety valve (I'm not saying Davis here because I believe his biggest strength is seam routes deep) I think he could come alone nicely in real games.

The basis here for the entire argument is that, if Kap and Smith both show exactly the same thing in camp and preseason I want the one with potential to get better playing. If smith wins hands down so be it, heck even if he wins by a little so be it. But let us see what they both have with the same units and make it a fair competition. A true competition means the winner gets the spot and you've already made up your mind Kap can't have it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only thing that would have made Alex Smith even fairly successful, would be if it were him who was drafted by the Packers. I don't think he'd be on the same level as Rodgers by any means. I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious that Alex Smith needs the perfect situation to succeed, and Rodgers situation was pretty darn perfect to develop a QB who needed a lot of work to transition in the NFL.

I mean, let's not forget that 2005's QB class was incredibly weak. I remember everyone in the media, the draft gurus, even former QBs; were talking about how unfortunate it was that the 49ers needed a QB, and there wasn't anyone to get excited about. The only guy everyone was behind, was Leinart, and he stayed at USC just to avoid the 9ers.

Spot on, in some alternate universe 9er fans are griping about Rodgers and packers are glad they took and developed Smith the right way. I hate those people in that fancy alternate universe. They remind me that my hope every August is in vain

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's hard to blame Nolan, when for some god-forsaken reason the 49ers turned into the 1st stop to look for an offensive coordinator that you wanted to be the head coach in 2005-2006.

I can tell you one thing, I'm going to be really pissed if the 49ers do well this year and teams come around looking to steal Roman and/or Fangio away. I'll be like, what the fuck?? I could understand losing coordinators when the 49ers were winning Super Bowls, but losing coordinators over mild improvement is ridiculous.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he showed some growth. Now he needs to show consistency. That has been the problem for him. I hope they can keep him coached up, and he can play at a high enough level to keep kaep out till he is ready.

Kaepernick didn't look like his confidence level was high enough yet. His wheels are defiantly turning, I can see it clearly. I hope it's in the right way, and it's processing instead of grid locked. But I do believe there is such thing as ruining someone, because he played before he was ready. I'm not against starting him as a rookie if it comes to that, he has a natural talent level that is already showing, I just don't want him to get stuck there. He needs to show more progress, before I believe he is ready to be thrown into the fire.

I'm willing to take a little struggling from Smith too, if it means Kaep is developed right.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so.........getting back to the orginal question.......did Alex Smith show something?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would describe his night as being efficient. He moved the ball twice to the redzone and overall was accurate with the ball as nothing comes to mind offhand where he threw a really bad ball.

His only gaffe was the INT he threw which you could tell he didn't see the guy but that's still all on him.

It wasn't a performance to get you amped up for or one that made you feel it's going to be a long year.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing that he showed was that he could get back after a major mistake. That INT could have regressed and gotten more erratic. But he hung in there and moved the team to another scoring opportunity

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Revisiting this, I think he had one bad (very bad) throw and it led to the INT. Other than that, I was pretty pleased with what I saw. It wasn't sensational. I don't know that Smith has that in him. But he was as accurate in the short and mid-field as I've seen him (at least since the injury, probably ever), read the D well, and kept us moving early despite three blatant drops by his receivers. Nothing about this game made me think he's a pro bowler, but if he can correct the problems that led to the INT - and presumably he'll be watching more film of the opponent during the regular season, so it should be easier to recognize something like that - and continue to play this way, then I think we've got a shot in the division.

Honestly, getting the shit blitzed out of us by the Saints is probably the best thing that could have happened to us. In one week with Harbaugh, we made more changes on offense than we have done in the last four (maybe six) years under Nolan and Singletary. The team made very nice strides in correcting a problem that has plagued us for years.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Revisiting this, I think he had one bad (very bad) throw and it led to the INT. Other than that, I was pretty pleased with what I saw. It wasn't sensational. I don't know that Smith has that in him. But he was as accurate in the short and mid-field as I've seen him (at least since the injury, probably ever), read the D well, and kept us moving early despite three blatant drops by his receivers. Nothing about this game made me think he's a pro bowler, but if he can correct the problems that led to the INT - and presumably he'll be watching more film of the opponent during the regular season, so it should be easier to recognize something like that - and continue to play this way, then I think we've got a shot in the division.

Honestly, getting the shit blitzed out of us by the Saints is probably the best thing that could have happened to us. In one week with Harbaugh, we made more changes on offense than we have done in the last four (maybe six) years under Nolan and Singletary. The team made very nice strides in correcting a problem that has plagued us for years.

I agree with your assessment and what surprised me the most his trademark inaccuracy wasn't on display. He was a little behind Ginn on one throw but it wasn't terribly inaccurate and Ginn did have a shot making a catch. Even his INT throw looked accurate just a bad decision on his part.

I'm by no means sold on him after one game but if he can build on this and play like this for the season than we have a realistic shot at winning the division.

Also concerning the INT:

Said Jim Harbaugh of Smith's interception, "We talked about it. We feel like it's a correctable thing. We know why it happened and we have to do a little better job with our eyes and we will get that corrected."

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex looked like he could be a serviceable stop gap. He made some good throws, put the ball where it needed to be and moved the offense. The interception he didn't see the guy and that needs to be worked on.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your assessment and what surprised me the most his trademark inaccuracy wasn't on display. He was a little behind Ginn on one throw but it wasn't terribly inaccurate and Ginn did have a shot making a catch. Even his INT throw looked accurate just a bad decision on his part.

I'm by no means sold on him after one game but if he can build on this and play like this for the season than we have a realistic shot at winning the division.

Also concerning the INT:

Said Jim Harbaugh of Smith's interception, "We talked about it. We feel like it's a correctable thing. We know why it happened and we have to do a little better job with our eyes and we will get that corrected."

I think his trademark inaccuracy is still there, it's just being covered up by better talent. Remember how high Edwards had to reach to catch that quick screen that was eventually stripped.

I kind of said it jokingly before, that Edwards size is going to help with Smith's tendency to throw the ball high, but, apparently there was more truth to that than a bad joke.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Also concerning the INT:

Re: the interception, I should have said bad decision. The throw seemed fine, just didn't see Shaughnessy sitting there.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hate for Kap? What exactly have you seen that indicates he has no potential whatsoever to be a franchise QB?

It isn't hate it's reality and I watched him play the WAC.

He is not the niner franchise QB he's a stop gap.

He will get tossed in when Smith goes belly up again. No team out there properly develops QB's anymore. They get tossed in and they sink or swim. He'll be an improvement over Smith but he isn't the future.

Saying he isn't the future isn't hating, it's an opinion.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nt

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How I feel too. I hope we can continue doing it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't hate it's reality and I watched him play the WAC.

He is not the niner franchise QB he's a stop gap.

He will get tossed in when Smith goes belly up again. No team out there properly develops QB's anymore. They get tossed in and they sink or swim. He'll be an improvement over Smith but he isn't the future.

Saying he isn't the future isn't hating, it's an opinion.

Rodgers wasn't developed in Green Bay? (4th year Starter)
Kolb wasn't developed in Philadelphia? (4th year Starter)
Cassel wasn't developed in New England? (4th year Starter)
Romo wasn't developed in Dallas? (4th year Starter)
Rivers wasn't developed in San Diego? (3rd year Starter)

You're flat out wrong about teams not developing QB's properly. These are just 5 guys off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rodgers wasn't developed in Green Bay? (4th year Starter)
Kolb wasn't developed in Philadelphia? (4th year Starter)
Cassel wasn't developed in New England? (4th year Starter)
Romo wasn't developed in Dallas? (4th year Starter)
Rivers wasn't developed in San Diego? (3rd year Starter)

You're flat out wrong about teams not developing QB's properly. These are just 5 guys off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.

Rookie starting QB's in the NFL are the exception not the rule, you are absolutely right.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok good, Alex Smith improved in the second pre-season game.

for the next two pre-season games, just want to see him operate the offense well. just execute from his spot efficiently, allowing others to do their thing. don't need to see him have big passing stats, so if its check downs and short throws, so be it.