• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex better show something against the Raiders

NinerFaitful

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Smith is horrible, than what was Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, JTO? To me, those QBs were horrible.

Alex is not great nor horrible, he is an average, middle of the road QB. He simply does contain the skill set to overcome horrendous pass protection and poor play calling. Its very irritating when people blame him for everything, even when the whole offense is/was underperforming. If those around him are going to be playing shit, than he will be playing like shit....though I do expect Smith to improve on last season.

IMO, this will be a long season if the o-line play doesn't improve.

I agree with most of what you are saying, however this is a QB league. You need an elite QB to compete for a SB. Just look at the last few SB Champ QB's. There are only a couple of exceptions.

Rogers
Brees
Roth
E. Manning
P. Manning
Roth
Brady
Brady
etc.

Unless you have a insane defense, you need an elite QB.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Smith is horrible, than what was Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, JTO? To me, those QBs were horrible.

Alex is not great nor horrible, he is an average, middle of the road QB. He simply does contain the skill set to overcome horrendous pass protection and poor play calling. Its very irritating when people blame him for everything, even when the whole offense is/was underperforming. If those around him are going to be playing shit, than he will be playing like shit....though I do expect Smith to improve on last season.

IMO, this will be a long season if the o-line play doesn't improve.
Alex and JTO have been horrible. Jamarcus and Leaf were abysmal.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that your criteria? Because you listed JTO under the "horrible" category and he's still in the NFL.

He is? I thought he was in the UFL.

My criteria does not go like this:
If QB X is not similar to P.Manning than he is horrible.

And I'm not going ignore factors that effect a players growth, such as incompetent coaching.

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see better accuracy on the deep ball. Also, some better pocket awareness would be nice. Alex needs to step up in the pocket to buy time and not roll right 20 yds behind the line of scrimmage.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I'm not going ignore factors that effect a players growth, such as incompetent coaching.

How many super bowls did Dungy win without Manning? How many super bowls did Shanahan win without Elway (he's won one playoff game since Elway retired; Elway played in three SB's before Shanahan was installed in Denver)? How many super bowls did Holmgren win without Favre? How many super bowls did Belichick win without Brady? Was Billick the best coach in the league when he won with Dilfer? Was Coughlin the best coach in the league when he won with Eli?

Smith has shown that he can't compete at this level, regardless of the coach, and regardless of the scheme. I'm a bit surprised that anybody is still "looking" for him to turn into something he isn't. That would be an NFL quarterback.

Has his O-line been HOF? No. Has his offensive scheme been HOF? No. Has his defense been the 2000 Ravens? No. If he needs ALL THREE of those things to succeed at this level, is he REALLY not the problem?

Come on. This experiment should have ended three seasons ago. Sticking with Smith is a guaranteed loser. It's like hitting on 20 in black jack when the dealer has a 7 showing.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I should revise that. JTO spent 8 seasons in the NFL. If he was horrible, according to your criteria/definition, he wouldn't have lasted that long. And apparently your criteria doesn't involve much more than X > Ryan Leaf then X = mediocre.

Oh, so you wanna include "other factors"? Would you also like to include the "other factors" for JTO? Joey Harrington? David Carr? Jimmy Clausen? Should I keep going? Quite frankly, I don't give a fuck why Alex Smith is horrible. He just is.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smiths decision making costs games.

We need a QB that won't LOSE the game. It ain't Smith. He isn't suddenly going to get better.

Start him but once he hits trouble during the season roll the dice with the rookie.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Starting Kaep this season is short sighted. Ruining another QB just to bench Smith isn't the right way to do this. He needs to stay on the bench and develop for at least a year before we throw him into the fire.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Kaep this season is short sighted. Ruining another QB just to bench Smith isn't the right way to do this. He needs to stay on the bench and develop for at least a year before we throw him into the fire.

The we've given up on the season before it starts.

We have seen all to well what Smith is capable of.

Let him start the season, then a few games in when Smith crashes bring Kap in. Or be resigned to another under performing year.

I don't see Kap as the future either but a stop gap. Niners still need to draft that future QB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would that ruin Kap? Not every QB is as mentally weak and physically incapable as Alex Smith. If he's ready, throw him in there. He's gonna learn squat watching Smith from the benches.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would that ruin Kap? Not every QB is as mentally weak and physically incapable as Alex Smith. If he's ready, throw him in there. He's gonna learn squat watching Smith from the benches.

He might pick up some bad habits.................

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brilliant, so let's turn Kaep into Alex Smith. That is a brilliant long term strategy to throw a QB out way before he's ready and risk ruining his confidence and mechanics. News flash: we're going to struggle this year anyway, so why would we take a chance on destroying a potential franchise QB?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lets be reason-able...

Alex Smith age 23 24 25 26, that is when a QB should be judged up or down. I would prefer 2-3 good years as a sample you could have some confidence in going forward.

How many of those years did he have even just an avg or better situation? Don't see-saw the standards to HOF.

The defense rarely has helped Smith and the offense.
PPG in his starts? 23.0
That would of been 19th last year.

In 2006 I'd say we were close to avg with our offense unit. Held back by Kwame Harris failure and leading WR having 2 less catches than Frank Gore.

Since then it is LAUGHABLE to claim we ever had a better than avg. offense outside of the QB play. Lets not throw in another QB in a doo-doo situation and hope he can learn on the run.

Last edited by a moderator:

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many super bowls did Dungy win without Manning? How many super bowls did Shanahan win without Elway (he's won one playoff game since Elway retired; Elway played in three SB's before Shanahan was installed in Denver)? How many super bowls did Holmgren win without Favre? How many super bowls did Belichick win without Brady? Was Billick the best coach in the league when he won with Dilfer? Was Coughlin the best coach in the league when he won with Eli?

Smith has shown that he can't compete at this level, regardless of the coach, and regardless of the scheme. I'm a bit surprised that anybody is still "looking" for him to turn into something he isn't. That would be an NFL quarterback.

Has his O-line been HOF? No. Has his offensive scheme been HOF? No. Has his defense been the 2000 Ravens? No. If he needs ALL THREE of those things to succeed at this level, is he REALLY not the problem?

Come on. This experiment should have ended three seasons ago. Sticking with Smith is a guaranteed loser. It's like hitting on 20 in black jack when the dealer has a 7 showing.

Dungy turned a perennial loser, the Bucs, into a Super Bowl team. His part of the reason the Bucs won a SB.

Elway,P. Manning, Favre, Brady - ZERO SB rings without their respective HC.

Were you trying state: Teams win Super Bowls, not QBs?

I'm not going call Smith "horrible" or completely write him off, when the whole team has been mediocre.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are QB's who can start day one. I strongly believe Kaep is not one of them. He's not mentally weak like Alex Smith, but he still needs time to develop. Give him this year to develop and he'll be a way better QB. I'm telling you if we start him this year, it is not going to be good for him. He'll be way better served to sit on the bench this year, especially with the lockout.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant, so let's turn Kaep into Alex Smith. That is a brilliant long term strategy to throw a QB out way before he's ready and risk ruining his confidence and mechanics. News flash: we're going to struggle this year anyway, so why would we take a chance on destroying a potential franchise QB?

Well, you're operating under the assumption that any QB that starts as a rookie will turn into Alex Smith part deux. I disagree, now more than ever you're seeing young QBs start early, and I think Kap will have enough talent around him to promote, not stagnate, his development.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should revise that. JTO spent 8 seasons in the NFL. If he was horrible, according to your criteria/definition, he wouldn't have lasted that long. And apparently your criteria doesn't involve much more than X > Ryan Leaf then X = mediocre.

Oh, so you wanna include "other factors"? Would you also like to include the "other factors" for JTO? Joey Harrington? David Carr? Jimmy Clausen? Should I keep going? Quite frankly, I don't give a fuck why Alex Smith is horrible. He just is.

-We(49er fans) saw first hand that JTO is indeed HORRIBLE SHIT.

-I never watched or followed Harrington, so I don't have an opinion on him(except for being on the cover of NCAA 03). The moment he was drafted by the Lions, his career was over.

-David Carr, a atrocious O-line ruined his career. His "horrible" because of it.

-Jimmy Clausen, FUCK HIM. He went to Oaks Christian.