• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex better show something against the Raiders

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith plays QB like I play golf. If his drives are great, he can't put. If he can chip he's hitting his drives out of bounds. If his irons are working, he can't put to save his life.

On that note, if a drive's going great and he gets around the other team's 40 yard line, that's when I almost can't watch. Once he gets about right there you can feel him pressing to make something happen and the T.O. meter goes nuts (see Phi fumble).

Now with his regular face mask, maybe Harbaugh can hypnotize him before he gets on the field.

But as a side note, according to some stats out there, he's his most efficient and one of the "best" inside the 20(redzone)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the spread will be about the same as it was for the Saints game though I would like to see the starters out there a little longer to get some valuable reps.

I agree that if the O line holds up their is no excuse for Smith to not having a productive outing. I don't have the expectations every pass he throws is perfect as this is still only the second preseason game with a new offense but I do want to see him move the chains and at least come out of the night with a TD drive.

That still shouldn't be an excuse for Smith. His pocket presence is beyond dreadful, and that contributed to the sacks and hurries as much as the OL.

I want Alex Smith to show me that he can walk his ass to the bench. I want Prime in there as much as possible.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That still shouldn't be an excuse for Smith. His pocket presence is beyond dreadful, and that contributed to the sacks and hurries as much as the OL.

I want Alex Smith to show me that he can walk his ass to the bench. I want Prime in there as much as possible.

Do you see Smith or Kap starting week 1?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who we'll see and who I want to see are completely different.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But as a side note, according to some stats out there, he's his most efficient and one of the "best" inside the 20(redzone)

I would put Kaep in until the barrier has been safely crossed! Then AS he can throw it repeatedly to VD and sprinkle in a few to Gore in the red zone like always. Although the more he actually gets into the redzone, the more his production there should drop.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would think there would be marked improvement. Another week of learning the offense, they should know a lot more blitz protection, I'm pretty sure that we are proficient at checkdowns. I would like to see solid throws from the pocket, TEs catching several passes and slot WR and RBs getting RAC after the catch! This will open up the running game Go 49ers!!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't disagree that Smith needs to improve his pocket presence markedly, but it's worth noting that over the last two years he has taken fewer sacks than the guys he's replaced (namely Hill and Troy). Not that those guys are experts in the pocket, but it's not like we're talking about sidestepping a single rusher the way our OL has played over the past two years. The pocket, all too often, has just disintegrated.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that Smith needs to improve his pocket presence markedly, but it's worth noting that over the last two years he has taken fewer sacks than the guys he's replaced (namely Hill and Troy). Not that those guys are experts in the pocket, but it's not like we're talking about sidestepping a single rusher the way our OL has played over the past two years. The pocket, all too often, has just disintegrated.

Thanks, Crimson. You just repeated what I said.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said Hill and Troy took more sacks? Must have missed that.

I said that both, Alex and the OL, attributed to the sacks/pressures. Thank you for expanding on my idea. All you added was that Shaun freakin Hill and Troy freakin Smith have even worse pocket presence than Smith, which somehow vindicates him in some weird way.

Last edited by a moderator:

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could care less about his yards or tds, but as long as he doesnt turn it over and makes good reads I will be happy

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The saints blitz more than most teams in the nfl, and greg williams implements great schemes and the players execute very well. First pre-season game was a wake up call, but most teams will not blitz any where near as much I think you will see some baby steps today. More reps the players get together the more comfortable they will get with one another and the more cohesive the will become. I do not see the raiders sending the house on every down as the saints did, allowing alex to have more time in the pocket and relieving some pressure off the o-line. Alex should make some better decisions today.......

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I said that both, Alex and the OL, attributed to the sacks/pressures. Thank you for expanding on my idea. All you added was that Shaun freakin Hill and Troy freakin Smith have even worse pocket presence than Smith, which somehow vindicates him in some weird way.

Try to get the panties out of a bunch, Clyde. You said something, I agreed with the premise and expanded upon it. That's kind of how a message board works. I pointed out that, as poor as Smith's pocket presence has been, his replacements have taken more sacks. That doesn't vindicate Smith, but it does cast additional doubt on his OL IMO.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of anything to say about Alex.. I'm hoping the O-Line remembers to block this week. They do that I think Alex will be serviceable and things will be good. If hes laying on his back and looking out his earhole again it will increase my worries about the teams successs this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He better do something better then 2/7 for 10 yards, this 1st quarter against the Raigirls is very important IMO.[/QUOTE

to me, the entire offensive Unit needs to something better.

no arguing the QB gets the most blame, but he doesn't get all of it.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Instead of just doing a casual warm-up with a stationary target on the sidelines, Smith should actually take some snaps, drop back, and throw to a WR running a route before games start. Get some of those jitters out. I hope working on his footwork wth Harbaugh will have some effect here, as well.

Though I would point out, Smith also has some history of starting out with a nice drive and then falling apart. We've had plenty of games under him where we went out, drove down for a TD or FG, and then didn't put together another good drive that half. Could have something to do with scripting and knowing what to expect.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying about trying something different to get Smith 'game ready'. To that end, I thought both teams had open field practice time before each game, but maybe not.

You know, perhaps better than most, that I am solidly in Smiths corner and I have defended him, passionately, but realistically, until last year. Now, however, there are simply no more excuses left for Alex Smith.

I have been saying for quite a while now that there is not a single coach that can fix what is wrong with Alex Smith. Smith is broken between the ears and no amount of footwork improvement is going to fix that. (Perhaps Anthony Robbins can fix him?)

As for his opening drive performance, yes, of course Smith has had a few opening drive TD's, some even impressive. Nevertheless, viewed as a whole, Smith is horrible whether it is the first drive, the seventh drive or the last drive.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hear what you are saying about trying something different to get Smith 'game ready'. To that end, I thought both teams had open field practice time before each game, but maybe not.

You know, perhaps better than most, that I am solidly in Smiths corner and I have defended him, passionately, but realistically, until last year. Now, however, there are simply no more excuses left for Alex Smith.

I have been saying for quite a while now that there is not a single coach that can fix what is wrong with Alex Smith. Smith is broken between the ears and no amount of footwork improvement is going to fix that. (Perhaps Anthony Robbins can fix him?)

As for his opening drive performance, yes, of course Smith has had a few opening drive TD's, some even impressive. Nevertheless, viewed as a whole, Smith is horrible whether it is the first drive, the seventh drive or the last drive.

If Smith is horrible, than what was Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, JTO? To me, those QBs were horrible.

Alex is not great nor horrible, he is an average, middle of the road QB. He simply does contain the skill set to overcome horrendous pass protection and poor play calling. Its very irritating when people blame him for everything, even when the whole offense is/was underperforming. If those around him are going to be playing shit, than he will be playing like shit....though I do expect Smith to improve on last season.

IMO, this will be a long season if the o-line play doesn't improve.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try to get the panties out of a bunch, Clyde. You said something, I agreed with the premise and expanded upon it. That's kind of how a message board works. I pointed out that, as poor as Smith's pocket presence has been, his replacements have taken more sacks. That doesn't vindicate Smith, but it does cast additional doubt on his OL IMO.

I just don't understand why you forced Shaun Hill and Troy Smith into the discussion. The only reason I can think of is to make Alex Smith look better. I made what I thought was a pretty indisputable statement about Alex Smith's lack of pocket presence and that not only was the OL responsible for the sacks/hurries, and you somehow injected Hill and T. Smith into the debate.

What do you want me to say, that Alex's pocket presence is better than both Hill's and Troy's? Ok fine, if it makes you feel better about Alex Smith I can say it all day.

:frusty:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith is horrible, than what was Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, JTO? To me, those QBs were horrible.

Alex is not great nor horrible, he is an average, middle of the road QB. He simply does contain the skill set to overcome horrendous pass protection and poor play calling. Its very irritating when people blame him for everything, even when the whole offense is/was underperforming. If those around him are going to be playing shit, than he will be playing like shit....though I do expect Smith to improve on last season.

IMO, this will be a long season if the o-line play doesn't improve.

Actually, horrible is a pretty decent word to describe Smith.