• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith's option picked up

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All that being said, facepalm indeed to the people who say we should cut Aldon right now. That's the most retarded thing of all.

To be fair, 90% of the talk regarding cutting Smith were isolated to a day or two after another incredibly stupid incident performed by an extrordinary, uber-talented player... AGAIN...

Its the type of reaction that is to be expected from a fan message board. I bet that most of the people that called for Smith's head had previously stuck up for him in the past during Smith's first three or four Fuck-ups...

At the end of the day, its probably a good idea to pick up the option. But at the same time, it has become a gamble (that has nothing to do with production or on-field talent)...

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a monster and a beast on the field, we would have been dumb to let some young talent like him go, smart move from Trent

No one is questioning his talent. It is about him growing up and becoming a responsible adult. He needs to start being accountable and think about how his actions affect himself and the team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
To be fair, 90% of the talk regarding cutting Smith were isolated to a day or two after another incredibly stupid incident performed by an extrordinary, uber-talented player... AGAIN...

Its the type of reaction that is to be expected from a fan message board.

I heard some people on sports radio saying it was time to "cut ties" with him as well. It was really, really stupid. Aldon Smith is the best player on the entire team. Stick with him after he passes out behind the wheel at 7am, but cut him 'cause he said he had a bomb at an airport. :rolleyes2:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
As far as Baalke saying he was considering not picking up the option goes: I don't think it's beneath him to make statements that try to lower Aldon's perceived (actual) value when a 100+ million dollar contract is probably inevitable. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't put it past 'em to make the Niners look less interested than they really are.

Guess I could be wrong. :noidea: But I was right predicting they'd pick up the option.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I heard some people on sports radio saying it was time to "cut ties" with him as well. It was really, really stupid. Aldon Smith is the best player on the entire team. Stick with him after he passes out behind the wheel at 7am, but cut him 'cause he said he had a bomb at an airport. :rolleyes2:

Its about the big picture...

It wasn't that he said the word "bomb" in an airport (incredibly stupid on its own, though), its the pattern of him continually doing stupid things. To compound this it seems to be alcohol related for the most part. Which takes us back to LAX where it was reported that he appeared intoxicated, which lead to this current incident. The fact that he just missed part of last season in a rehabilitation center, only to be arrested (again) just months later involving what? The same thing he was in rehab for just a few months ago. No, no, no... It wasn't the word "bomb" that caused people to react the way they did. It was and is the pattern that concerns most people...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Its about the big picture...

It wasn't that he said the word "bomb" in an airport (incredibly stupid on its own, though), its the pattern of him continually doing stupid things. To compound this it seems to be alcohol related for the most part. Which takes us back to LAX where it was reported that he appeared intoxicated, which lead to this current incident. The fact that he just missed part of last season in a rehabilitation center, only to be arrested (again) just months later involving what? The same thing he was in rehab for just a few months ago. No, no, no... It wasn't the word "bomb" that caused people to react the way they did. It was and is the pattern that concerns most people...

There's a difference between "stupid" and conduct that has a detrimental effect on the 49ers' on-field performance. The drunk-driving incident was the latter. The LAX incident was the former.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Willie McGinest: San Francisco is a 'safe haven' for linebacker Aldon Smith - NFL Videos

Also I understand the argument that picking up the Option could send a bad message to Aldon but on the flipside it could serve as a motivator as well.

Since it's only guaranteed for injury if he screws up again that money will be off the table and it's unlikely another team is going to offer him 9 million with his rap sheet.

So I can think of 9 million reasons to get myself help and get my act together.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie McGinest: San Francisco is a 'safe haven' for linebacker Aldon Smith - NFL Videos

Also I understand the argument that picking up the Option could send a bad message to Aldon but on the flipside it could serve as a motivator as well.

Since it's only guaranteed for injury if he screws up again that money will be off the table and it's unlikely another team is going to offer him 9 million with his rap sheet.

So I can think of 9 million reasons to get myself help and get my act together.

But how sbout Aldon and cleaning up his act? How does him getting paid motivate you in 9 million ways? Just kidding.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a difference between "stupid" and conduct that has a detrimental effect on the 49ers' on-field performance. The drunk-driving incident was the latter. The LAX incident was the former.

So the possible (sounding more like probable) suspension is not detrimental to the 49ers on-field performance? Not having Bowman (due to injury) and Smith (due to stupidity) sounds pretty detrimental to the on-field performance...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the possible (sounding more like probable) suspension is not detrimental to the 49ers on-field performance? Not having Bowman (due to injury) and Smith (due to stupidity) sounds pretty detrimental to the on-field performance...

Depends on how long. 4 games is shorter than terrible and we have him anyway for that time unless trade (the option pertains to after that). That could be standard injury time. If four games, he should challenge the suspension, drag it out for awhile, and drop the appeal at the bye. Those next four are most winnable without him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how long. 4 games is shorter than terrible and we have him anyway for that time unless trade (the option pertains to after that). That could be standard injury time. If four games, he should challenge the suspension, drag it out for awhile, and drop the appeal at the bye. Those next four are most winnable without him.

Selfishly, I would want it to be weeks 5-9 (includes bye). I want to beat KC but avoid Alex Smith injury. Winnable without Aldon plus no one ever gets to Peyton (good oline and against the rules to pressure/hit Manning), so it's not like the hardest game in that stretch is affected much.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I don't think letting the whole thing linger for half the season would be healthy for the team either...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think letting the whole thing linger for half the season would be healthy for the team either...

Sure, but the concern of him doing something stupid will always be there regardless, the hit to SFs rep already happened, the suspension may be inevitable at that point, so why not try to find the football timing advantage? I feel us wondering if it will be 4 games or a season (unlikely) is a looming thing, but a question whether a challenge could reduce an already handed out suspension does not. We would know the worse case scenario and be handling/serving it when we wanted.

I believe Seattle did that in 2012 with one of their PED players. He ended up serving the suspension, but it was the next season, I think. That was better than the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure, but the concern of him doing something stupid will always be there regardless, the hit to SFs rep already happened, the suspension may be inevitable at that point, so why not try to find the football timing advantage? I feel us wondering if it will be 4 games or a season (unlikely) is a looming thing, but a question whether a challenge could reduce an already handed out suspension does not. We would know the worse case scenario and be handling/serving it when we wanted.

And this all goes back to the original point of it being detrimental to the team. I understand you are trying to find the best case scenario that helps the team. But at the end of the day, none of it is good or needed...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this all goes back to the original point of it being detrimental to the team. I understand you are trying to find the best case scenario that helps the team. But at the end of the day, none of it is good or needed...

But we have him on our roster this year even without the option and he has to serve the suspension this year (likely). It's a cost that we likely have to pay either way. So yes it's detrimental, but what are we to do with it other than trade or keep the best pash rusher less the suspension games? So I don't know how that applies to picking up the option. So the question is, will he do something later that is detrimetal to the team. And even then, we can cut him.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All points on this thread are valid . I think everyone agrees that Aldon has no issues when he is on the field. His actions off of the field are the issue. The DUI charges will likely lead to a suspension in the NFL. The 'bomb' charge will be shot down in court as a stupid remark. The felony gun charges are my biggest concern here. Three felonies that could have him in jail if they don't plea bargain. Cosmetic differences of the rifles are the only issue but California is just like CT when it comes to what they call "assault rifles". I wish him luck with that one. He has never had a suspension by the NFL so it should be at most 4 games for his first.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

You're right. If he gets suspended for the LAX incident then it's a big deal (not a huge deal though; more regular-season rep's for future-stud Lemonier). But I think he'll just get a fine for that one. He'll get suspended for the driving incident.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. If he gets suspended for the LAX incident then it's a big deal (not a huge deal though; more regular-season rep's for future-stud Lemonier). But I think he'll just get a fine for that one. He'll get suspended for the driving incident.

Why? He already missed games for that one. All they have to do is fine him the pay checks and suspension complete.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why? He already missed games for that one. All they have to do is fine him the pay checks and suspension complete.

Goodell might want to have the last word. We'll have to see what he decides to do with Aldon after all the court stuff plays out.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was under the impression that the LAX incident was a repeat offender (so to speak) situation that would cause Smith to miss some games due to suspension?