• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith's option picked up

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
ok good, i'll take it as the 49ers believing his issues aren't REAL bad. again, no one knows but based on what they know now, they're projecting its 'correctable'.

49ers meet with Aldon Smith, no option decision yet | ProFootballTalk

They did meet with him prior to picking up the option so they probably made it perfectly clear he has 0 room to screw up.

But whether they believe in him or not it makes more sense to pick up the option then it does not too.

They can easily cut him if he screws up again and it buys them even more time to see if stays on the straight and narrow.

And if they do for some reason want to trade him it gives him more value in a trade since whatever team gets him would have him locked up for another year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers meet with Aldon Smith, no option decision yet | ProFootballTalk

They did meet with him prior to picking up the option so they probably made it perfectly clear he has 0 room to screw up.

But whether they believe in him or not it makes more sense to pick up the option then it does not too.

They can easily cut him if he screws up again and it buys them even more time to see if stays on the straight and narrow.

And if they do for some reason want to trade him it gives him more value in a trade since whatever team gets him would have him locked up for another year.

But... But... But PR is king! Just kidding. Fielding the best team for cheapest and longest is while keeping your option open. That's what this does and it makes sense.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a monster and a beast on the field, we would have been dumb to let some young talent like him go, smart move from Trent

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does something really dumb again then I will have serious concern

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he does something really dumb again then I will have serious concern

wouldn't serious injury be a bigger concern? he obviously won't play at that point, his option would be guaranteed, and looking further down......no guarantee he returns to full health/full talent?

if he does something dumb he'll miss more games, but it might not be "season ending"? his health would still be good and hence tradable, should we go that route.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was a very smart thing to do. Not the easiest given the circumstances, but definitely the right thing to do. The dude is just too damn good.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, the swiriling rumors were that the 49ers were not going to pick up the option.

I thought that was for show. Partly for him and partly for PR. Now they waited and talked to him and can put it on the appearance and truth of talking to him and taking it seriously. They also waited for the airport thing to be resolved, but I don't think they thought that was going to be too much. The gun charges are an issue but PR-wise the already took the hit and if he gets convicted of something serious, they can cut him.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I like it.. I believe he will shape up and start catching small fish with P-Willy

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thought so. The "considering" not picking his option up was BS / public negotiating.

And people who wanted him cut... all I can say is :L

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never a doubt in my mind that they would pick it up. The alternative would have been to face him twice a year in a Seattle uniform.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally some good news.

That airport incident wasn't even all that bad. Incredibly stupid, sure. But not a big deal imo.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Finally some good news.

That airport incident wasn't even all that bad. Incredibly stupid, sure. But not a big deal imo.

That was my initial thought on the incident as well until I heard that he was probably drinking. Then it became a much bigger concern.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought so. The "considering" not picking his option up was BS / public negotiating.

And people who wanted him cut... all I can say is :L

I call BS on your BS call. No way.

How do I know? You, like the rest of us, are just an idiot on the Internet. And you saw through it. The people that run the NFL are MUCH smarter/savvier than you or I. So if you saw through it, what does that say about them? They're not stupid, they know where they and everyone else stand. Again, if our GM is wasting any precious little of his time concocting retarded smokescreens like this then they need to fire his ass. Now.

I don't get why you always think you're smarter than everyone else. You're not. None of us are. We certainly aren't smarter than the powers that be that run NFL teams and those individuals that negotiate NFL contracts. They never would have ascended to that position if they were know-nothing nobodies like us.

You know I love ya Sick but come on buddy. Most likely what happened was some idiot journalist (who, now that I think of it, is almost assuredly stupider than even you or I based on the quality of their "work") pulled some bullshit out of his ass to use as clickbait. I know Kawakami said it was "very unlikely" or something like that and Florio reposted that in his own "article." Talk about two clickbait retard fucknuckles posing as "journalists."

I think it's fair to read a lot of what we read with a large amount of skepticism. But that's just because of the retards that be, not the powers that be. The powers that be have much more important things to do than waste time playing shitty, pointless games than even us message board losers can see right through.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said, facepalm indeed to the people who say we should cut Aldon right now. That's the most retarded thing of all.