• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ALCS: Yankees vs Astros

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a let up compared to fucking going 1. McClanahan- top 10 starter in baseball. 2. Glasnow- top 10 starter in baseball when healthy 3. Cole - top 10 starter in baseball (twice!), and Cortes- who is probably around 20-25 twice.

30 strike outs in two games is a let up?? LOL

We have a 24 yr old arm just called up a couple months ago... I hope you get to see him...

He bumped Will Smith off the 26 man roster... Will Smith was the braves closer last year in the world series... Can't even crack this roster..

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "Cy Young Predictor" has nothing to do with determining the best pitchers. It's a model used for predicting the Cy Young voting based on certain measures (ERA, W-L, shutouts, VB (victory bonus from pitching on division winners), etc.). it's pretty outdated now that a lot of voters generally ignore W-L and put more weight into more advanced metrics (FIP, SIERA, WAR).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 strike outs in two games is a let up?? LOL

We have a 24 yr old arm just called up a couple months ago... I hope you get to see him...

He bumped Will Smith off the 26 man roster... Will Smith was the braves closer last year in the world series... Can't even crack this roster..
I am not saying they are not very good- of course they are- its just not Glasnow, MCClanahan, Cole twice, Cortes twice good. Cole, Glasnow, McClanahan aare arguably 3 of the top 10 pitchers in baseball

Valdez has had a great year- really his first great year where he threw a full season- but forgive me if I am not elevating him to the top of the elite starting pitchers in baseball when the dude is 28, 5' 11" (listed) and has had one superb year

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "Cy Young Predictor" has nothing to do with determining the best pitchers. It's a model used for predicting the Cy Young voting based on certain measures (ERA, W-L, shutouts, VB (victory bonus from pitching on division winners), etc.). it's pretty outdated now that a lot of voters generally ignore W-L and put more weight into more advanced metrics (FIP, SIERA, WAR).
I mean- especially if Jordan Romano is above Shane McClanahan- who is going to be 2nd in the Cy Young almost assuredly and was not in the top 10- behind Cal Quintrell.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying they are not very good- of course they are- its just not Glasnow, MCClanahan, Cole twice, Cortes twice good. Cole, Glasnow, McClanahan aare arguably 3 of the top 10 pitchers in baseball

Valdez has had a great year- really his first great year where he threw a full season- but forgive me if I am not elevating him to the top of the elite starting pitchers in baseball when the dude is 28, 5' 11" (listed) and has had one superb year

Valdez has a better career ERA a far better FIP and far more innings than cortes.

Valdez is younger than Glasnow has a better career ERA, FIP and more innings.

Glasnow is 29 and been in the league since 2016 and he topped 100 innings 1 time and his ERA was over 4. And he faced the Guardians with like 7 innings under his belt since early last summer. Yeah, thats the scariest arm possible

But Valdez just had his first really great year?

Youre talking out of your ass

The astros pitching shits on both the Yanks and Rays pitching staffs. Not 1 team in baseball even the Guardians would say they would rather face Astros pitching than either of those two.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valdez has a better career ERA a far better FIP and far more innings than cortes.

Glasnow is 29 and been in the league since 2016 and he topped 100 innings 1 time and his ERA was over 4. And he faced the Guardians with like 7 innings under his belt since early last summer. Yeah, thats the scariest arm possible

The astros pitching shits on both the Yanks and Rays pitching staffs. Not 1 team in baseball even the Guardians would say they would rather face Astros pitching than either of those two.
last year Valdes was solid/good- def. not great. bad walk rate, mediocre whip and made 22 starts- about 2/3 of a full work load- maybe slightly more.. At 28 he has had his first year where he has been really very good and anything close to a top 30 SP in baseball. I dont think he even qualified last year.

you are right about glasnow- always hurt - I just think his stuff is scary. Last 4 years his K/BB average rate is almost 5:1 and a whip that averages out to slightly less than 1. thats pretty filthy. Well over 1 k per 9.

I said in that post- assuming health----- and assuming health im taking the 6'8" monster with a crazy K rate, great walk rate, great WHIP, over the 5'11" guy who tends to walk guys and really had his first year where he would be considered a top 30 guy--- and thats on results....talent wise I dont think anyone talks Valdez top 25-30 if you are betting long term. WE shall see.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Valdez and Cortes are actually very similar makeup wise. Both kind of short chubby lefties that rely on control. Cortes a year younger. Really- this is only Valdez 2nd year as a starter- and first year with a full time work load at 28. Both guys became "full time" starters last year with 22 a piece (not enough to qualify) and had a pretty full workload (Valdez did impressively make 5 more starts and one of a few pithchers in all of baseball to get to 200 innings). Cortes was better last year and was better this year than Valdez- and its pretty impressive for him to do it in that park and division.

If going forward I would pick a guy to have long term success I would prob. pick Cortes if we are not factoring in ball park. Valdez is an extreme ground ball guy that has a very mediocre walk rate.....he was kinda lucky this year the stats tell you.

better K rate, less walks.....less hits per nine.....better ERA's, better WHIP's....for Cortes- I would say Cortes solidly 2nd tier while Valdes low 2nd tier, high 3rd tier. Cortes prob. low twenties for best SP in baseball- Valdez a little behind that. Id take a healthy Severino and his stuff over Javier.

Verlander is great but I would rather have Cole going forward.

This was a recent writeup on Verlander:

Justin Verlander (HOU/FA?) – Verlander’s four-seamer dropped from a 14%+ SwStr in 2019 to just under 11% this year, while his slider was great, but not elite. In other words, this year didn’t make sense and mix in age with expected regression and you have a bigger risk than his Cy Young season would suggest. Most of the time when we ask “wait, how is this working?” the answer is “Oh, it actually doesn’t.”

I def. still have JV top 10......but I would take MCClanahan over him going forward. One guy just entering his prime- the other about to turn 40...

Astros def. have more depth also having McCullers, Urquidy, Garcia, etc....but 7 game series- your 4th guy start once.

Last edited:

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valdez and Cortes are actually very similar makeup wise. Both kind of short chubby lefties that rely on control. Cortes a year younger. Really- this is only Valdez 2nd year as a starter- and first year with a full time work load at 28. Both guys became "full time" starters last year with 22 a piece (not enough to qualify) and had a pretty full workload (Valdez did impressively make 5 more starts and one of a few pithchers in all of baseball to get to 200 innings). Cortes was better last year and was better this year than Valdez- and its pretty impressive for him to do it in that park and division.

If going forward I would pick a guy to have long term success I would prob. pick Cortes if we are not factoring in ball park. Valdez is an extreme ground ball guy that has a very mediocre walk rate.....he was kinda lucky this year the stats tell you.

better K rate, less walks.....less hits per nine.....better ERA's, better WHIP's....for Cortes- I would say Cortes solidly 2nd tier while Valdes low 2nd tier, high 3rd tier. Cortes prob. low twenties for best SP in baseball- Valdez a little behind that. Id take a healthy Severino and his stuff over Javier.

Verlander is great but I would rather have Cole going forward.

This was a recent writeup on Verlander:

Justin Verlander (HOU/FA?) – Verlander’s four-seamer dropped from a 14%+ SwStr in 2019 to just under 11% this year, while his slider was great, but not elite. In other words, this year didn’t make sense and mix in age with expected regression and you have a bigger risk than his Cy Young season would suggest. Most of the time when we ask “wait, how is this working?” the answer is “Oh, it actually doesn’t.”

I def. still have JV top 10......but I would take MCClanahan over him going forward. One guy just entering his prime- the other about to turn 40...

Astros def. have more depth also having McCullers, Urquidy, Garcia, etc....but 7 game series- your 4th guy start once.

Lil baby lol

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last year Valdes was solid/good- def. not great. bad walk rate, mediocre whip and made 22 starts- about 2/3 of a full work load- maybe slightly more.. At 28 he has had his first year where he has been really very good and anything close to a top 30 SP in baseball. I dont think he even qualified last year.

you are right about glasnow- always hurt - I just think his stuff is scary. Last 4 years his K/BB average rate is almost 5:1 and a whip that averages out to slightly less than 1. thats pretty filthy. Well over 1 k per 9.

I said in that post- assuming health----- and assuming health im taking the 6'8" monster with a crazy K rate, great walk rate, great WHIP, over the 5'11" guy who tends to walk guys and really had his first year where he would be considered a top 30 guy--- and thats on results....talent wise I dont think anyone talks Valdez top 25-30 if you are betting long term. WE shall see.

But the Guardians faced these guys RIGHT NOW. Not where you assume health in the future for a 29 year old that has never been both healthy and good and typically ends his season with innings the same as good relivers.

Also using stuff and size to be the reason for why Glasnow is better is like saying Chris Sale is better than Greg Maddux because well, size and stuff.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are so good .... they are sitting on their ass at home watching us play..

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Guardians faced these guys RIGHT NOW. Not where you assume health in the future for a 29 year old that has never been both healthy and good and typically ends his season with innings the same as good relivers.

Also using stuff and size to be the reason for why Glasnow is better is like saying Chris Sale is better than Greg Maddux because well, size and stuff.
he said montas/lynn are better than valdez i knew i was wasting my time
btw glasnow and his 2 starts wins the CY:suds:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing baseball. That play in the OF cant happen

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking