• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama's Da'shawn hand arrested for DUI

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Danny Ocho

You going to back out on the avi bet? I called out your program saying he won't be suspended but you won't accept. It's alright to admit your star players get away with shit that regular people get far worse punishment for. But it's alright because it's just his first offense right?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so when a post is replied to, you do in fact think the response is in relation to the post quoted. Interesting.

So you're stupid even when it comes to your own team, good for you. What a tall horse you have sir.

Yes, they have talents and they get special priveldges. If they weren't good at football, they wouldn't be on the team to start with. If they aren't one of the better players on the team, they might get kicked off for something a better player wouldn't. Because it's a matter of weighing the pro's and con's.

That's life and it should be that way despite what bullshit someone's momma told them when they were young.

But you are pulling "historically" out of your ass. I got busted for weed in Alabama. I got much less punishment than our players get. I paid some money, pleaded guilty to just "paraphilia" and the possession charge was dropped. My entire punishment was a $1000 fine. No probation, no community service, nothing else. I did not fake being an Alabama player for this "special" treatment.

Oh yeah that's right, your players don't even have to worry about that shit. Oh and you don't have a police department that thinks it's the fucking devil and needs to be erradicated. Or all the other extra shit that goes a long with that.

In the case of a DUI, well he'll just have to own that. I got no love for drunk drivers, I wish the state was much more harsh on them. But overall, your players would probably get in even more trouble than our players if they lived in Alabama.

Hell, I can't believe this is the only trouble we've had this year. Doing pretty good if you ask me.
You are well in the minority if you really believe there shouldn't ever be substantial discipline including loss of games for crimes committed while on a college football team. Many might disagree on the severity, but most agree things like domestic abuse, weapons charges, drug/DUI, etc should have some level of substantial team discipline, not a slap on the wrist with extra reps.

BTW, ASJ went on to play for Tampa Bay and while with them, he got another DUI and they threw him off the team. Were they wrong as well? I mean the legal system also did whatever they needed to for that charge.

Lots of jobs and high profile positions in the world carry stiffer penalties for things they do outside of work/school/etc. It's the price you pay for having that privilege. PERIOD.

And if you really want to believe because you got off on some pot charge lightly that no football player is ever actually let off simply because they play football then ok? :L You had a link to a case at bama earlier in this very thread. It is very well understood that it has happened all throughout the history of college ball. Basketball players have seen that as well at high profile schools/players.

Hell, last year alone I think like 5 or 6 WSU players were charged in several different assault cases and not one of them were ever convicted despite at least two of them being on camera! I remember a few cases with the ducks as well. Don't be so naive. There are plenty of cases where they get special treatment. All it takes is for the officer or members of the court to be fans of the team or have pressure put on them by city leaders who want to protect it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are well in the minority if you really believe there shouldn't ever be substantial discipline including loss of games for crimes committed while on a college football team. Many might disagree on the severity, but most agree things like domestic abuse, weapons charges, drug/DUI, etc should have some level of substantial team discipline, not a slap on the wrist with extra reps.

BTW, ASJ went on to play for Tampa Bay and while with them, he got another DUI and they threw him off the team. Were they wrong as well? I mean the legal system also did whatever they needed to for that charge.

Lots of jobs and high profile positions in the world carry stiffer penalties for things they do outside of work/school/etc. It's the price you pay for having that privilege. PERIOD.

And if you really want to believe because you got off on some pot charge lightly that no football player is ever actually let off simply because they play football then ok? :L You had a link to a case at bama earlier in this very thread. It is very well understood that it has happened all throughout the history of college ball. Basketball players have seen that as well at high profile schools/players.

Hell, last year alone I think like 5 or 6 WSU players were charged in several different assault cases and not one of them were ever convicted despite at least two of them being on camera! I remember a few cases with the ducks as well. Don't be so naive. There are plenty of cases where they get special treatment. All it takes is for the officer or members of the court to be fans of the team or have pressure put on them by city leaders who want to protect it.

Where are you getting the information that it's just a slap on the wrist for the players? Because as far as I know, that information is never released.

Saban does what he thinks is in the best interest of the players and team. Period.

Everyone gets special treatment you talk about. Different states have different names for it, but basically the charges are dropped and removed completely from their record if they complete the requirements of the program, usually community service, pay a little money, etc.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trust Saban to know what is best for the kids. After all, no one knows them better than their coach.

Unless one of them does something horrible - then you have to understand that he can't possibly know what a kid's behavior will be like.

Round and round we go . . .

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Details emerge regarding Da’Shawn Hand’s DUI arrest

that Hand was in fact not driving his vehicle but was asleep in his parked car at the time of his arrest.

This does not mean the arrest was unwarranted. Aaron Suttles reports:

“According to Alabama state law, Hand was deemed to be in ‘constructive possession’ of the vehicle, and although he wasn’t driving and the vehicle was parked, the keys being in the car was the determinant that triggered the arrest.”

Wasn't even driving. He fucked up by putting keys in the car.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was in a car that was running and had its headlights on in a parking lot near the campus asleep behind the wheel.

Of course Saban won't do anything, but there is no chance this isn't a charged crime. He was lucky enough to have made it home and put the car in park before passing out. Thankfully no one was killed, but this was still a serious crime.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was in a car that was running and had its headlights on in a parking lot near the campus asleep behind the wheel.

Of course Saban won't do anything, but there is no chance this isn't a charged crime. He was lucky enough to have made it home and put the car in park before passing out. Thankfully no one was killed, but this was still a serious crime.
Wont disagree he needs to learn the gravity of this situation, but my opinion on this is missing a game or two is a slap on the wrist.
First punishment I would hand out is he has to attend substance abuse classes.
Second punishment I had out is he attends al anon keetings to see what real alcoholics are like, and how they ruin their lives with alcohol and substance abuse.
Next punishment i hand down is 100 hours of community service mandated to be finished before he gets a diploma from the University, and if he doesnt complete it, his scholarship has to be repaid in full. put skin in the game for him.
Last punishment i hand down is he is held to a zero tolerance policy and a bed check until this football season is over. His party days are over until he graduates, or completes his community service.

His missing playing time is not really a punishment, its a copout schools use to get out of teaching a manchild a life lesson he needs to learn.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont disagree he needs to learn the gravity of this situation, but my opinion on this is missing a game or two is a slap on the wrist.
Second punishment I had out is he attends al anon keetings to see what real alcoholics are like, and how they ruin their lives with alcohol and substance abuse.
Next punishment i hand down is 100 hours of community service mandated to be finished before he gets a diploma from the University, and if he doesnt complete it, his scholarship has to be repaid in full. put skin in the game for him.
Last punishment i hand down is he is held to a zero tolerance policy and a bed check until this football season is over. His party days are over until he graduates, or completes his community service.

His missing playing time is not really a punishment, its a copout schools use to get out of teaching a manchild a life lesson he needs to learn.

Funny how the Bama fans feel missing a game is'nt warranted . It's either too much , too little or it wont change their behavior. Anything but missing a game. That's exactly how the players feel and exactly why it's the only thing you can take away that they really care about.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I think one of the most misused conceptions in college football now is the suspension thing,” Bowden said. “Everybody is on the suspension kick. ‘Suspend them!’ Suspending doesn’t hurt him at all. He sits around twiddling his fingers. It hurts your team. Let’s get the kid, he’s the culprit.

Bowden in 2000.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where do you get that he drove home? The information is somewhat limited from what I've seen, it could be either way but:

I don't know what year car you have, but if you turn mine on at night, the headlights come on. And my car isn't new. My old Lexus couldn't even turn the damn things off.

It seems way more likely to me that he was drunk and rather than drive home he went to his car, turned the car on to get some AC and went to sleep. Yes, you need AC at night in Alabama in July. It's possible he drove home, but then why would you just sleep in your car after you arrive home? That just happened to be the magic moment when he could no longer keep it going? Somehow managed to drive home, but then was so drunk he just passed out?

If I had to put money down, I'm putting it down on sleeping rather than driving. Seems way more likely. If it's the other, then I hope the state nails him hard.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So basically he will never really be punished for his actions until strike 5? Because you can't force him to payback a scholarship if he leaves early.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the Bama fans feel missing a game is'nt warranted . It's either too much , too little or it wont change their behavior. Anything but missing a game. That's exactly how the players feel and exactly why it's the only thing you can take away that they really care about.
The object is to show the young man what alcoholism and alcohol does to destroy lives. Making hik miss a game does not achieve this. All that does is make him miss a game and then he moves on, he doesnt get to see what the effects of alcohol can do to destroy lives. A punishment should teach a lesson. Not to mention, we likely have two or three players in rotation who can fill his spot and not miss much, so why should a Bama fan fear him missing a game? I personally dont care if Saban suspends him for a game either, I just dont see it as an adequate punishment.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically he will never really be punished for his actions until strike 5? Because you can't force him to payback a scholarship if he leaves early.
You didnt understand, all of those punishments are for one offense, not multiple offenses. The first strike, or offense, yields all of that and the player will be made to sign a statement that he agrees to repay the scholarship. If he doesnt sign it, his scholarship will be suspended pending a disciplinary hearing for violating his code of ethics. At that hearing he will be given the chance to sign again or have his scholarship terminated. Risking millions of dollars over something like this where the player knows he is wrong is stupid, so they would all sign.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didnt understand, all of those punishments are for one offense, not multiple offenses. The first strike, or offense, yields all of that and the player will be made to sign a statement that he agrees to repay the scholarship. If he doesnt sign it, his scholarship will be suspended pending a disciplinary hearing for violating his code of ethics. At that hearing he will be given the chance to sign again or have his scholarship terminated. Risking millions of dollars over something like this where the player knows he is wrong is stupid, so they would all sign.
And if he refuses to sign said document and is kicked off scholarship he is free to go to whatever school he wants immediately without sitting out a year. Again no punishment other having to spend an hour at an AA meeting. If you can play ball at a high enough to make it pro, no coach really gives a shit if you drink and drive. He will just go on to the next school and still go pro but drafted a little lower than before. He has to put people's lives in danger 5 times before you want to put a real punishment on him.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he refuses to sign said document and is kicked off scholarship he is free to go to whatever school he wants immediately without sitting out a year. Again no punishment other having to spend an hour at an AA meeting. If you can play ball at a high enough to make it pro, no coach really gives a shit if you drink and drive. He will just go on to the next school and still go pro but drafted a little lower than before. He has to put people's lives in danger 5 times before you want to put a real punishment on him.
Please explain the 5 times comment. I have not laid out a 5 step process for punishment per offense, my punishments are all for one offense, not one per offense. In my world its not three strikes you're out, it fool me once shame on me, fool me twice and its been nice knowin ya.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The object is to show the young man what alcoholism and alcohol does to destroy lives. Making hik miss a game does not achieve this. All that does is make him miss a game and then he moves on, he doesnt get to see what the effects of alcohol can do to destroy lives. A punishment should teach a lesson. Not to mention, we likely have two or three players in rotation who can fill his spot and not miss much, so why should a Bama fan fear him missing a game? I personally dont care if Saban suspends him for a game either, I just dont see it as an adequate punishment.

Thats such a crock . The objective is for them to not miss any game time. So they come up with this" internal punishment" .Any parent who has kids in sports knows that watching from the bench while the team is playing is something that makes them regret what they did. Why cant they do these classes and miss a game? I know why because Saban couldn't care less what they did and doen't care what hoops they are given they just better be able to play on Saturday.
Oh and everyone knows if you're drunk in your car and the keys are in the ignition you get charged with drunk driving. Half the time they don't even know if they drove or not. He could have gone ten feet rolled into a parking spot and passed out.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please explain the 5 times comment. I have not laid out a 5 step process for punishment per offense, my punishments are all for one offense, not one per offense. In my world its not three strikes you're out, it fool me once shame on me, fool me twice and its been nice knowin ya.
My bad, I was taking punishments as strikes.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats such a crock . The objective is for them to not miss any game time. So they come up with this" internal punishment" .Any parent who has kids in sports knows that watching from the bench while the team is playing is something that makes them regret what they did. Why cant they do these classes and miss a game? I know why because Saban couldn't care less what they did and doen't care what hoops they are given they just better be able to play on Saturday.
Oh and everyone knows if you're drunk in your car and the keys are in the ignition you get charged with drunk driving. Half the time they don't even know if they drove or not. He could have gone ten feet rolled into a parking spot and passed out.
You seem to know alot for someone who has never met the man. Truthfully, reading your post you sound bitter and very jaded, with a twinge of jealousy.

Note in my post i stated I dont care if he suspends him for a game and administers other punishments, yet you keep on whining like a jealous bitch.

So here is what you can do, as no one on here really cares about a bleeding pussy. Contact the University athletic department and voice your displeasure with how Saban handles his punishments. I am certain they will jump right on any recommendations you may have, since apparently you are a learned expert on punishments and how to deal with people you've never met.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, I was taking punishments as strikes.
Its all good. I just want the young man to learn a lesson and to me, sitting a game is not a lesson, its a slap on the wrist for a serious offense. He needs to see how alcohol destroys and kills people.