• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama has played UT-Chattanooga 3 times since 2008

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when it was still the PAC-10 the UW would have goofy ass OOC games in the middle of the season ... not FCS teams but G5 teams. That all changed once the conference moved to a 9 game conference schedule. It was too difficult to try and fit those teams in the schedule later on in the season.
Do explain why it is difficult to schedule those games late in the season when the number of OOC games didn't change.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do explain why it is difficult to schedule those games late in the season when the number of OOC games didn't change.
Because those teams have their own conference games to deal with. It's a pain in the ass to try and fit your schedule around your conference so you can play a nobody when everyone in your conference only has 3 OOC games. USC and Stanford pull it off with ND but it also cost them. USC didn't have a bye week last season because of it.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when it was still the PAC-10 the UW would have goofy ass OOC games in the middle of the season ... not FCS teams but G5 teams. That all changed once the conference moved to a 9 game conference schedule. It was too difficult to try and fit those teams in the schedule later on in the season.
Its really common logic.When you play 9 conference games.The conference games become more meaningful.That extra loss has a major effect.But you also have the ripple effect where teams have to try to schedule more competitively with the three OOC games.Or they lose more SOS.Its not that hard to see

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really common logic.When you play 9 conference games.The conference games become more meaningful.That extra loss has a major effect.But you also have the ripple effect where teams have to try to schedule more competitively with the three OOC games.Or they lose more SOS.Its not that hard to see

If this was the case, the Pac12 would be leading the way in SoS, rather than being 2nd to last.

True Strength of schedule does start with the conference, but it's way more about the strength of your conference than it is the number of games played.

QXOyibL.png

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was the case, the Pac12 would be leading the way in SoS, rather than being 2nd to last.

True Strength of schedule does start with the conference, but it's way more about the strength of your conference than it is the number of games played.

QXOyibL.png
Let's get back to mathematical facts shall we.

Here's two conferences. Conference Xray plays a 5 game conference schedule. Conference Zulu plays a 4 game conference schedule. Which conference is going to suffer more conference losses?

Conference Xray
Team Alpha
Team Beta
Team Charlie
Team Delta
Team Echo
Team Foxtrot

Conference Zulu
Team Golf
Team Hotel
Team India
Team Juliet
Team Kilo
Team Hotel

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know something ... I only have a GED and some college credits that were work required. So why in the fvk am I having to explain basic math on here?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because those teams have their own conference games to deal with. It's a pain in the ass to try and fit your schedule around your conference so you can play a nobody when everyone in your conference only has 3 OOC games. USC and Stanford pull it off with ND but it also cost them. USC didn't have a bye week last season because of it.
So those teams weren't in conferences of their own before the PAC10 gained two teams? Or maybe it is that the PAC12 decided it was in their best interest to start the season with extra wins to try and get ranked earlier and encouraged their teams to play scrubs early. I'm pretty sure those FCS teams would tell the conference to fuck off if they told them they couldn't take the million dollar pay day that funds their entire athletic department because they have to play conference games at the end of the year.

If you want to say that Georgia, Florida, Florida State couldn't schedule an FCS at the end of the year because they don't want to finish with two of their three non conference games, I'll buy that. But it will not effect Auburn or Alabama who play 3 of their non conference games to open up most years.

And fun fact, not that long ago, USC had three byes in one year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get back to mathematical facts shall we.

Here's two conferences. Conference Xray plays a 5 game conference schedule. Conference Zulu plays a 4 game conference schedule. Which conference is going to suffer more conference losses?

Conference Xray
Team Alpha
Team Beta
Team Charlie
Team Delta
Team Echo
Team Foxtrot

Conference Zulu
Team Golf
Team Hotel
Team India
Team Juliet
Team Kilo
Team Hotel

Why do you keep bringing up this stupid shit? It's already been acknowledged that the difference in the number of wins is 7 total for the entire season - fucking years before this thread even existed.

Of question is - so fucking what.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So those teams weren't in conferences of their own before the PAC10 gained two teams? Or maybe it is that the PAC12 decided it was in their best interest to start the season with extra wins to try and get ranked earlier and encouraged their teams to play scrubs early. I'm pretty sure those FCS teams would tell the conference to fuck off if they told them they couldn't take the million dollar pay day that funds their entire athletic department because they have to play conference games at the end of the year.

If you want to say that Georgia, Florida, Florida State couldn't schedule an FCS at the end of the year because they don't want to finish with two of their three non conference games, I'll buy that. But it will not effect Auburn or Alabama who play 3 of their non conference games to open up most years.
Let's cut the bs shall we. The PAC, the B1G and the Big 12 all play a 9 game conference schedule. Now other than USC and Stanford who play ND every year, show me a team from those conferences that play their OOC games in mid November. Don't try to make this more complicated than it has to be.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back in the old days, getting ranked high and quick was important. It was damn near impossible to knock someone out of the #1 spot unless they lost a game.

These days, it doesn't mean shit where you are ranked early in the season.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's cut the bs shall we. The PAC, the B1G and the Big 12 all play a 9 game conference schedule. Now other than USC and Stanford who play ND every year, show me a team from those conferences that play their OOC games in mid November. Don't try to make this more complicated than it has to be.
So you would rather artificially raise up the rankings early in the year then.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would rather artificially raise up the rankings early in the year then.
One more time motherfvker: Show me a team from those three conferences (other than SC & Stanford) that play their OOC games later in the season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also back in the day, getting ranked was important because it increased your chances of being on TV and getting regional/national coverage.

If you weren't ranked and you were on TV, you were basically the guy in the poster getting dunked on.

These days pretty much all games are televised and it doesn't matter anymore.

Shit is so much better now and people complain about the most petty shit imaginable.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more time motherfvker: Show me a team from those three conferences (other than SC & Stanford) that play their OOC games later in the season.

do you think this has to do with the number of conference games a year or something?

Because it doesn't. Alabama and Auburn just moved those games back recently and it had nothing to do with number of conference games.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think this has to do with the number of conference games a year or something?

Because it doesn't. Alabama and Auburn just moved those games back recently and it had nothing to do with number of conference games.
It has a lot to do with it. Try being in a conference that has 3 OOC games. It makes scheduling tight as fvk. USC lost a bye week because of it and Stanford had to take their by week in the second week of the season last year. Both those schools don't want to miss out on playing ND every year so they pay a price for it. They don't complain about it because they know playing ND is a money maker so they take the bad with the good.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so you prefer to artificially raise up rankings early in the season.

The committee showed in Year one that they start with a clean slate every week when they dropped a team that won their last game by 50 from 3 to 6. So why does it matter if you play your scrub game early or late when your opponent is doing the exact same thing.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has a lot to do with it. Try being in a conference that has 3 OOC games. It makes scheduling tight as fvk. USC lost a bye week because of it and Stanford had to take their by week in the second week of the season last year. Both those schools don't want to miss out on playing ND every year so they pay a price for it. They don't complain about it because they know playing ND is a money maker so they take the bad with the good.

But again, the FCS teams are the most flexable and if scheduling gets tougher, it only makes them more likely.

I don't know about other conferences, but all it takes in the SEC is a request to get those dates open. That's how Alabama keeps having to play half the SEC coming off bye weeks every year.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QXOyibL.png
Yeah you posted your finger painting before. That still doesn't address the effect of the conference losses. In a 9 game conference schedule. Pertaining to SOS, conference and rankings. As well as compensating for the lower conference SOS with 3 OOC games. It's really quite simple. You're over compensating stats doesn't change the facts

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you posted your finger painting before. That still doesn't address the effect of the conference losses. In a 9 game conference schedule. Pertaining to SOS, conference and rankings. As well as compensating for the lower conference SOS with 3 OOC games. It's really quite simple. You're over compensating stats doesn't change the facts

The "finger painting" I posted actually punishes teams for playing FCS schools because they are treated as offering 0 resistance. And win% and such has no bearing on FEI rankings, so again my "finger painting" isn't affected by such things.

And the rest is such a huge deal that.....nobody talks about it, except for some USC and Washington fans who just happened to get their asses kicked by Alabama last year.

:think:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "finger painting" I posted actually punishes teams for playing FCS schools because they are treated as offering 0 resistance. And win% and such has no bearing on FEI rankings, so again my "finger painting" isn't affected by such things.

And the rest is such a huge deal that.....nobody talks about it, except for some USC and Washington fans who just happened to get their asses kicked by Alabama last year.

:think:
Your Twister board doesn't address the topic.Still nothing to do with the effects of a 9 game conference schedule on a conference. Conference losses, SOS based on those losses....... Anyone can use data to deflect or skew a topic. But the simple math speaks volumes