• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s doing the Jacoby Ellsbury impersonation from 2007(and Johnny Damon before that). Somehow, Cora doesn’t view him as an everyday player, however. Cora has been particularly lousy this year overall.
He should be their everyday CF. He runs well and throws well enough to do the job. No errors this year (1 last year) and a couple of assists.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would take Big Unit over Pedro, and I might take hiim over Maddux too. I recognize Maddux as fairly masterful whle on the Braves, but he wasn't great after he left, and benefitted a lot from longevity.

When Maddux was on, he was lights out. When he wasn't, his stuff was hittbale because he'd lose his pinpoint location.

Definitely a HOFer though.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would take Big Unit over Pedro, and I might take hiim over Maddux too. I recognize Maddux as fairly masterful whle on the Braves, but he wasn't great after he left, and benefitted a lot from longevity.

When Maddux was on, he was lights out. When he wasn't, his stuff was hittbale because he'd lose his pinpoint location.

Definitely a HOFer though.

I think peak Pedro was more dominant than peak Randy Johnson as far as rate stats go, but not enough to offset his advantage in innings. Randy was more of a workhorse, his peak was a little longer, and he pitched longer. In fact, Randy had around 1300 more innings... it's not just because he pitched 4 more years.

I think Maddux was the "least dominant" of the three, but he also pitched significantly more innings than the other two. He doesn't have the sexy strikeout rates that the other two had, but he was also the stingiest with walks and home runs. I do think Maddux benefitted a little more from his defenses than the other two (at least going by RA9def). Career wise, I'd go Johnson/Maddux/Pedro. Peak wise, I'd go Johnson/Pedro/Maddux.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should be their everyday CF. He runs well and throws well enough to do the job. No errors this year (1 last year) and a couple of assists.

A year or two ago, it would have been Kiké... but his bat has become unplayable and even his defense in center seems to have tailed off. It's a shame because he looked great in CF in 2021

Duran has done a nice job improving defensively even if he isn't great. He seems to be making far fewer mental errors and looks a lot more focused. As far as the bat goes, he is outperforming his Statcast numbers significantly (.320 vs. .272 xBA, .519 SLG vs .414 xSLG, .377 wOBA vs .328 xwOBA). His .429 BABIP is also very unsustainable, it's extremely rare for someone to have a .400+ BABIP in a full season.. but I do think he's still capable of putting up high BABIPs with his speed and power (say .350+). That being said, he's still shown a lot of improvement at the plate and his statcast numbers would still make for a solid player. I do wonder how much his speed plays a role in him outperforming his metrics. I would like to see him cut down on the K's, but his contact rate and whiff rate look fine IMO

I think Duran's earned the starting gig

Last edited:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye bye Dominguez, Austin Wells, Pereira, Sweeney, Warren and Clayton Beeter. Still may not be enough

and then you pretty much have to extend him IMO

I'd much rather let him hit free agency and sign him then. He's going to cost a ton of money regardless, but trading the farm system away? And what if you fail to sign him?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 102.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd much rather let him hit free agency and sign him then. He's going to cost a ton of money regardless, but trading the farm system away? And what if you fail to sign him?

A rental would be a disaster……

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Extension would need to be signed before the best parts of Scranton and Trenton head west, I would expect.