• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL EAST 2017 Thread

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles acquired Hellickson??

I sort of figured they would be sellers not buyers

But, it only cost them some nobody pitcher stuck with a 7 ERA in double-A.

The cost is negligible, but I am not sure if this is for the long term or what.

Maybe they are trying to package (hellickson + Britton) as a deal for the Cubs or somebody??

Cleavinger pitched pretty well before this year, but command was always a bit of an issue. John Sickels wrote this about him before the season:

8) Garrett Cleavinger, LHP, Grade C+: Age 22, third round pick in 2015 from University of Oregon; posted 3.07 ERA with 102/34 K/BB in 76 innings between Low-A and High-A; fastball up to 96 along with a deceptive delivery and a quality curveball make him overpowering; command inconsistent and lack of a change-up makes him a reliever, albeit a high-leverage one who could close if his command sharpens up a bit. ETA late 2018.

He was ranked 8th in the O's system coming into the season, but that says a lot about the O's farm.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, I thought Hellickson was having a better year than he was. He has a 4.73 ERA and his strikeout rate has dipped to a poor 13.8%. And this is after he finally had a good season. Still didn't give up much for him, but I don't think he'll be much of an upgrade.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

edit: it cost them Hyun Soo Kim too.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe they are trying to package (hellickson + Britton) as a deal for the Cubs or somebody??

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's just to get them through the season. They're still trying to trade off Brach and Britton.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck's least favorite player in the universe seemingly

Screw You Buck.
Trade away a huge fan favorite, clubhouse favorite, and good player because you just dont like him.

Rangers, Diamondback, and Yankees fans warned me all the time about Buck's favorites.
Kim is a good player. Buck decided that since he struggled in spring training 2016, that Kim was horrible.

The great Showalter told us he was a bad player after only 2 weeks. He hates to be proven wrong.
So even when Kim became a good player, Buck always tried to sabotage his development.

Meanwhile, Buck will make sure that JJ Hardy and Kevin Gausman get lifetime extensions no matter how horrible.
They are Buck's favorite sons and can do no wrong ever

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, I thought Hellickson was having a better year than he was. He has a 4.73 ERA and his strikeout rate has dipped to a poor 13.8%. And this is after he finally had a good season. Still didn't give up much for him, but I don't think he'll be much of an upgrade.
Pretty much a get me by move and a looksie for the pitching coach to see if maybe there's something to tweak here and there.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw You Buck.
Trade away a huge fan favorite, clubhouse favorite, and good player because you just dont like him.

Rangers, Diamondback, and Yankees fans warned me all the time about Buck's favorites.
Kim is a good player. Buck decided that since he struggled in spring training 2016, that Kim was horrible.

The great Showalter told us he was a bad player after only 2 weeks. He hates to be proven wrong.
So even when Kim became a good player, Buck always tried to sabotage his development.

Meanwhile, Buck will make sure that JJ Hardy and Kevin Gausman get lifetime extensions no matter how horrible.
They are Buck's favorite sons and can do no wrong ever
Starting to get tired of Saint Buck's schtick and haven't liked Dumpster Dan since day one. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they both were gone at the end of the season, even though I know they won't.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much a get me by move and a looksie for the pitching coach to see if maybe there's something to tweak here and there.

yeah, I guess. I'd say see what some of the Norfolk arms could, but they're not very intriguing. Pretty baffling how horrible the Orioles have been at developing pitchers.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-0 Sox, but Eduardo's pitch count issues remain. 90 pitches in the 4th inning with only one out. That knee injury feels like a huge setback in his development. He had command issues when he came back last year too.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price really doesn't know how to shut up. He isn't too smart. Wow lol

Price challenges Eckersley to 'show your face'

I thought this comment on BBTF hit the nail on the head, especially the point on Pedroia.

I suspect that from Price's viewpoint (and I suspect that most players feel this way) if you are going to say something critical then you get your ass in the clubhouse to defend it. Just spouting off something critical then not being available for someone to refute it is likely viewed as cowardly.

It seems to me that Eck's comment was not that critical but I suspect that Price got it second hand (since he isn't watching the broadcast) and probably heard a version that made it sound like Eck was calling Rodriguez the worst pitcher ever or something.

What gets me about this "story" is that Eck hasn't said a word about it since that I've heard and Price doesn't want to deal with it but every other media member seems to be terribly bothered. Frankly it is a bit of bullying behavior, they know Price isn't popular so they aren't afraid of public backlash for ripping Price. It's interesting to view the way Price, who stood up for a teammate, has been treated by the media compared to Pedroia who threw a teammate under the bus in Baltimore. And of course there is another difference between Price and Pedroia besides relative popularity that has some history in Boston but for now I'll give the benefit of the doubt that that bit of ugliness isn't the cause.

BBTF's Newsblog Discussion :: David Price plagued with left elbow woes again | MLB.com

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go away Mitch Moreland

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2