• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Discussion

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray finished 4th in WAR among SP according to Baseball Reference- an amazing season. 5.3 WAR

Other s in the AL Central? bibee was 6th in the AL at 3.6 Rodriguez 8th in the AL at 3.5

Cole was #1 in the AL at 7.5--- he is def. your Cy Young winner. Only AL pitcher with a WHIP less than 1.0 also. least hits per 9. Most innings pitched. missed out on triple crown by strikeouts. He was third behind Gausman and Lopez.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough matchup for the Twins with Verlander vs. Ober for the opener. I am DEFINITELY rooting for the Twins. I think the whole world outside of Houston is. Twins have not announced a Game 2 starter vs. Framber Valdez yet. Lopez pitched Tuesday- so that would give him 4 days rest (Wed., Thur., Fri., Sat.) so I gotta believe it would be him.

I dont think they would bring Gray back on short rest- and I doubt they plan on starting Maeda.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rays really took a huge hit because of Franco's disgusting behavior. I wonder when/if Franco will be back.

A lot of rumors about Cash maybe leaving managing the Rays for Cleveland on the radio in Cleveland. Cash is the guy Francona has recommended and his contract is kind of uncertain in Tampa.

It doesnt sound like its likely to happen but I would be satisfied with hiring Cash.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rays really took a huge hit because of Franco's disgusting behavior. I wonder when/if Franco will be back.

A lot of rumors about Cash maybe leaving managing the Rays for Cleveland on the radio in Cleveland. Cash is the guy Francona has recommended and his contract is kind of uncertain in Tampa.

It doesnt sound like its likely to happen but I would be satisfied with hiring Cash.
Cash or someone else, it’s a great opening.

No turmoil, no pressure, not anchored down by any lousy contracts, young talent, solid base of guys with experience under an experienced manager… it’s a great situation.

Buck Schowalter seems like a guy worth talking to, too.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cash or someone else, it’s a great opening.

No turmoil, no pressure, not anchored down by any lousy contracts, young talent, solid base of guys with experience under an experienced manager… it’s a great situation.

Buck Schowalter seems like a guy worth talking to, too.
Schowalter would be interesting- however I think they will go with a younger guy who is a little more analytics driven.

If it is not Cash, i would be surprised if it was someone with prior managing experience. I think they will go with a young guy who is more up and coming. It will be interesting to see.

What I really wonder is - since the Guardians are likely to have the youngest team in baseball again (for the 3rd straight year) what direction they go.

Do they:

A. Keep Bieber and go to win-now and get a legit major league RF

or

B. Go more of a development year, trade Bieber.

I mean- right now really the only guys that are veterans with a fair amount of experience are Ramirez and somewhat, Josh Naylor in the lineup- and Bieber and Quintrell on the pitching side.

Manzardo, Valera, DeLeatuer, Cantillo, Espino, Rocchio are all still prospects that have solid futures.

Its tough. I could easily see them trade Bieber and Quintrell, not sign anyone and go young and develop......or I could see them make a move for a RF- move Kwan to center, and sign another bat that can play corner-outfield/DH/1B and go for it.

Its hard to say.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see what Lopez does in the biggest start of his career. If he can even up the series and pitch like an ace- it would be huge for the Twins.

Easily the biggest start of his career coming up. Can Lopez establish himself as an ace and beat a very solid Astros lineup? Ober reminds me a lot of Quintrell- solid regular season guy but just not someone you want pitching in the playoffs if you can avoid it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins look like they are going to get the split on the road and come home with Gray vs. Javier. Fucking put the Astros out!!!!! Would be awesome.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did @mr.hockey4242 go right in the middle of the playoff series? have not seen him for days.

Huge game for Joe Ryan- see what he is made out of.

Gotta say- surprised Gray got hit like he did. -but really the story of the game is that Javier shut the Twins down- he has not been good this year.

I hope so much Ryan pitches well. I hate the Astros and want tosee the Twins represent.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimenez and Kwan with their back to back Gold Gloves.

both were great in the field. Hopefully both improve with the bat- not that either was bad this year- but both have the talent to be better- and more like 2022 than 2023.

Kwan could really be a great leadoff guy and Gimenez is unlikely to be another guy who is 6th in the MVP race but he has a lot of talent.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second baseman Andrés Giménez, a 2022 winner, totaled more defensive runs saved (23) than any major leaguer not named Fernando Tatis Jr. He landed in the 99th percentile in Statcast’s fielding run value category. Though he’s a natural shortstop, and the Guardians will hold auditions for their vacant shortstop position, they remain hesitant to shift Giménez off of a position where he has become an annual award favorite.

Steven Kwan led all left fielders with 15 defensive runs saved and ranked in the 95th percentile in Statcast’s Outs Above Average metric.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Gray signs in St. Louis, creating a big whole in the Twins rotation. Not a crazy deal either- 3 years 75 seems fairly reasonable.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Gray signs in St. Louis, creating a big whole in the Twins rotation. Not a crazy deal either- 3 years 75 seems fairly reasonable.
With him and Maeda both gone, seems like they’re really planning on Chris Paddack to more than bounce back.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With him and Maeda both gone, seems like they’re really planning on Chris Paddack to more than bounce back.
They have Lopez, Ryan, Ober, Paddack, Varland right now? ehhhhhh some serious question marks. Ryan had some injury issues- Ober got sent down at one point.

Maeda was a nice signing by the Tigers- weaken a Central rival and get a guy who can stabilize the middle/back end a little bit.

Kind of surprised the Twins were not in on Gray more. 3 years 75 seems more reasonable then I thought he would be.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty happy with how Manzardo has looked in the AFL.

Looks like it was a great trade--- of course very pre-mature to say so- but Civale really came back down to earth once he was dealt- and Manzardo got healthy and crushed the ball.

Still- surprised Quintrell was dealt- they obviously didnt want to pay him 8 million or so this year- but if they trade Bieber they need some SP depth unless they think CAntillo and Espino will be healthy/ready.

I cant wait to see how the offseason shakes out. Already getting excited for the season- esp. with how the Twins have had their SP weakened pretty significantly.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have Lopez, Ryan, Ober, Paddack, Varland right now? ehhhhhh some serious question marks. Ryan had some injury issues- Ober got sent down at one point.

Maeda was a nice signing by the Tigers- weaken a Central rival and get a guy who can stabilize the middle/back end a little bit.

Kind of surprised the Twins were not in on Gray more. 3 years 75 seems more reasonable then I thought he would be.
That’s what I think they have left now. Not awful, but big losses for that staff.

If Detroit manages to keep ERod, I assume Maeda is 4/5. But if they don’t, idk. He’s not really a replacement for ERod imo.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s what I think they have left now. Not awful, but big losses for that staff.

If Detroit manages to keep ERod, I assume Maeda is 4/5. But if they don’t, idk. He’s not really a replacement for ERod imo.
if they get Erod back what does the rotation look like you think?

Skubal, Erod, Olson, Maeda, Mize?

thats pretty good- especially if Mize can get healthy and realize some of his potential.

Right now Guardians look like Bieber, McKenzie, Williams, Bibee, Allen- which I think is best in the division by a fair amount- but I think its better than 50/50 Bieber is dealt- which is why I was a little surprised they dealt Quintrell. Cantillo and Espino are interesting choices if they are ready though.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Guardians offense will be a step above last year

1. Bo Naylor really came around the last couple months and will be a huge addition for a full season at catcher.

2. I think Manzardo will do well at 1B/DH

3. Having Josh Naylor healthy for a full season (hopefully) will be big

4. I expect Jose to have a better year than last year

5. I expect Kwan and Gimenez to be better than last year

6. I expect them to do something in the outfield and move Straw to the bench- at least I hope so.

7. The one move I expect them to make is to get some kind of outfield help either at center or RF.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Naylor with some experience at Christian Bethancourt at catcher really gives them a much better chance to have a solid hitting catching position over last year--- mostly it was a disaster last year.

Naylor came up in June- and was terrible for June, July and the first half of August- and then settled down and hit the crap outta the ball.

Zunino was trash when he played. Their #2 catcher- Cam Gallagher was absolute trash. Between those 2- they had nearly 300 at bats of about a .150 average.

Naylor and Bethancourt will give them a much more respectable catching position - and I think likely at least above average power.

they kept Laureano who I think will get some significant CF at bats if Straw does not turn it around quick- and then have someone in RF- whether its a pick up -or Valera.

biggest question marks are still

1. CF- right now the options are STraw, Lauerano and Brennan

2. RF- right now options are???- Brennan, Laureano.

3. SS- right now options are Arias, Freeman, Rocchio

gotta do something to improve at least 1 or 2 of those positions. I expect the young guys to take SS- but they need a legit outfielder to add to the mix.