• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Akers costing us games

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what's out there, but we can't keep trotting Akers out there. If its just an injury then rest him, but something has to be done. These are big games that counts towards playoff positioning. And this isn't even accounting making fg's in the playoffs.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck finding someone who will make the 50yd FGs that these fans insist on

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already cost us both rams games.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50+ yarders are tough. The coaches went into a shell and should have tried to get him closer. I feel sorry for Akers but with each miss the pressure builds on him. I don't know what the answer is with him. He's a good kicker but missing the big ones was what got him run from Philly. The pattern appears to be recurring.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They brought Nate Kaeding in for a try out. They should have signed him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time blaming Akers when this team is playing for FGs instead of TDs in OT... there was absolutely no reason to settle for a FG once the 49ers got to the 35 yard line. Which they did, by giving up and playing not to lose and just accepting a long kick with two running plays with an injured Gore, and then some awkward pass that gave CK nowhere to go so he had to throw it away on 3rd down.

Let's be honest, the 49ers lost and tied the Rams this year because both times in OT they have played for FGs instead of TDs. Which is pretty goddamn stupid when your kicker is having a shitty year and is playing injured, injured just enough that you had to bring in kickers for tryouts. Really? Playing for FGs when your kicker is struggling?? Just stupid. I mean hey, it's an OK strategy when your kicker is damn near perfect like last year, but when he is struggling... just stupid.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time blaming Akers when this team is playing for FGs instead of TDs in OT... there was absolutely no reason to settle for a FG once the 49ers got to the 35 yard line. Which they did, by giving up and playing not to lose and just accepting a long kick with two running plays with an injured Gore, and then some awkward pass that gave CK nowhere to go so he had to throw it away on 3rd down.

Let's be honest, the 49ers lost and tied the Rams this year because both times in OT they have played for FGs instead of TDs. Which is pretty goddamn stupid when your kicker is having a shitty year and is playing injured, injured just enough that you had to bring in kickers for tryouts. Really? Playing for FGs when your kicker is struggling?? Just stupid. I mean hey, it's an OK strategy when your kicker is damn near perfect like last year, but when he is struggling... just stupid.

Shitty year or not. Akers have missed them. I've seen the pats win 2 Super Bowls off gf kicks. I realize the coaching should be better. But the other team is trying to win as we'll and these games will come down to Fgs. And Akers had looked like he has had no confidence.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We shouldn't have to come down to akers kicks, but when it does happen he needs to make them. A lot of things happen in the NFL that shouldn't, that's no excuse.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shouldn't have to come down to akers kicks, but when it does happen he needs to make them. A lot of things happen in the NFL that shouldn't, that's no excuse.

I agree, he should have made the kicks in both Rams games that would have won the game. I wasn't trying to make excuses for his misses, but both times I felt like the 49ers settled for kicks when they didn't have to...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, one drive in OT they didn't even play for a FG like they did in the 4th quarter. Ran again on 2nd and 20. Punt. Ugh.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex's weaknesses contributed to this and Alex bought into it to the extreme, but I think this shows coaching tendencies as well. Smith takes what they preach to heart and the three things they stressed were limiting turnovers, getting some points on the board (Dallas loss last year we refused a first down to keep our FG) and taking what the defense gives you. This plus Alex's limitations led to taking sacks, settling for field goals, and short passes. I had assumed that this was just the coaches managing Alex, but this makes it seem likes it more the coaching staff. However, I assume we're doing it this way with Kaep because of inexperience and will open up later when he's more polished.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Kaeding has no history of missing a big kick.

We need a new kicker and Kaeding is the man they brought in for a try out. I don't care about his history, only his future. Akers has done nothing but miss big kicks this season

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a new kicker and Kaeding is the man they brought in for a try out. I don't care about his history, only his future. Akers has done nothing but miss big kicks this season

The weird thing is that the Chargers cut Kaeding this year because he has a groin injury, so, I didn't get that move... why workout an injured guy to replace an injured guy?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex's weaknesses contributed to this and Alex bought into it to the extreme, but I think this shows coaching tendencies as well. Smith takes what they preach to heart and the three things they stressed were limiting turnovers, getting some points on the board (Dallas loss last year we refused a first down to keep our FG) and taking what the defense gives you. This plus Alex's limitations led to taking sacks, settling for field goals, and short passes. I had assumed that this was just the coaches managing Alex, but this makes it seem likes it more the coaching staff. However, I assume we're doing it this way with Kaep because of inexperience and will open up later when he's more polished.

Well, I sort of remember people bringing up that Harbaugh was also really conservative at Stanford, I can't confirm because I don't watch college ball. That kind of got ignored though because the :lm: only wanted to hear that it was Smith's limitations that made the offense conservative.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the coaches shouldn't have had Akers try a 51 yard field goal in overtime, knowing his recent history, and punted it deep in Rams territory instead. The 49er defense had only given up 3 points all game, and if he misses the Rams have a much shorter field.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walkers drop cost us this game. How does he make the impossible catches and drop the sweet drop of morning dew that is laid down right in his hands??

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I sort of remember people bringing up that Harbaugh was also really conservative at Stanford, I can't confirm because I don't watch college ball. That kind of got ignored though because the :lm: only wanted to hear that it was Smith's limitations that made the offense conservative.

I figured he would still be conservative but I thought Kaep would be able to capitalize a little more on some downfield stuff. The problem is that the plays called today were basically taking any opportunities away. I think that since Kaep is such a multi threat QB, they try and figure all these gadget plays for him, instead of just letting him play football and using his mobility as an escape. Like Steve Young. I'm alright with the occasional bootleg, but can we finally put this option bullshit to rest?

Maybe the coaches shouldn't have had Akers try a 51 yard field goal in overtime, knowing his recent history, and punted it deep in Rams territory instead. The 49er defense had only given up 3 points all game, and if he misses the Rams have a much shorter field.

Exactly. You can literally see when the coaches decide "This is far enough" and settle for long attempts. Why not try and make it a chip shot? He should have made one of the kicks (this game or the first game) but the coaches shouldn't be sending him out there from mid field.