• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Akers costing us games

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The weird thing is that the Chargers cut Kaeding this year because he has a groin injury, so, I didn't get that move... why workout an injured guy to replace an injured guy?

Wouldn't you also have assumed that since he has gotten workouts that maybe he's healthy enough to play again? Anyways, here...

Nate Kaeding's agent says San Diego Chargers avoiding $1.2 million owed to kicker - ESPN

Nate Kaeding passes physical, no longer a Charger | UTSanDiego.com

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, he should have made the kicks in both Rams games that would have won the game. I wasn't trying to make excuses for his misses, but both times I felt like the 49ers settled for kicks when they didn't have to...

The first game, yes. But a field goal of over 50 yards is always a crapshoot. He certainly is struggling, but it was the pitiful performance of the O line that was the main culprit for yesterday's loss.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a hard time blaming Akers when this team is playing for FGs instead of TDs in OT... there was absolutely no reason to settle for a FG once the 49ers got to the 35 yard line. Which they did, by giving up and playing not to lose and just accepting a long kick with two running plays with an injured Gore, and then some awkward pass that gave CK nowhere to go so he had to throw it away on 3rd down.

Let's be honest, the 49ers lost and tied the Rams this year because both times in OT they have played for FGs instead of TDs. Which is pretty goddamn stupid when your kicker is having a shitty year and is playing injured, injured just enough that you had to bring in kickers for tryouts. Really? Playing for FGs when your kicker is struggling?? Just stupid. I mean hey, it's an OK strategy when your kicker is damn near perfect like last year, but when he is struggling... just stupid.

The coaches' decisions at times irks the :ss: out of me. I first realized that earlier this year when we defeated the Seahawks. We had them by the balls when we got that "safety" at the end of the game. Yet we decided to take away pts off the board for whatever reason. That was a perfect example of being overly conservative and it falls in line with their approach/thinking - "playing not to lose the game" instead of playing to win.

Again, I don't want to use that game to argue anyone because there were tons of fans who suppported that decision (take the pts off the board)...My point here is to illustrate their emphasis of being extra careful / overly conservative. My intent is not to argue about the outcome of the Seahawks' game earlier this year. We already had an exhausting conversation about it in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaches' decisions at times irks the :ss: out of me. I first realized that earlier this year when we defeated the Seahawks. We had them by the balls when we got that "safety" at the end of the game. Yet we decided to take away pts off the board for whatever reason. That was a perfect example of being overly conservative and it falls in line with their approach/thinking - "playing not to lose the game" instead of playing to win.

Again, I don't want to use that game to argue anyone because there were tons of fans who suppported that decision (take the pts off the board)...My point here is to illustrate their emphasis of being extra careful / overly conservative. My intent is not to argue about the outcome of the Seahawks' game earlier this year. We already had an exhausting conversation about it in another thread.

I agree. When you have a team on the ropes, you have to go for the jugular. I figured Harbaugh would be that but so far he seems trying to conserve leads.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. When you have a team on the ropes, you have to go for the jugular. I figured Harbaugh would be that but so far he seems trying to conserve leads.

He doesn't quite trust his team yet.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
when you lose a game, multiple things went wrong. this thread has touched on all the main ones including.....O-line.

i'm not on Kaep because poor plays are expected. but while watching the game couldn't help think what if Alex was the QB? it would've been deja vu all over again. :-)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you lose a game, multiple things went wrong. this thread has touched on all the main ones including.....O-line.

i'm not on Kaep because poor plays are expected. but while watching the game couldn't help think what if Alex was the QB? it would've been deja vu all over again. :-)

I hate mental errors much more than I do physical ones so I think Kaepernick's most egregious error was voluntarily running out of bounds right before Akers' field goal which either saved the Rams 40 seconds or saved them their final timeout. Either way, the Rams would then lose the game. It was a complete mental failure and showed that his head was not in the game. Physical mistakes happen but being stupid is unacceptable. I would think that when the play was called they must have told him "do not run out of bounds". If not, then shame on the coaches.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it Akers fault that the niner ran into the middle preferring to set up a long field goal rather than going downfield for mores yards or a td. This loss is more on piss poor coaching than it is players

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He doesn't quite trust his team yet.

Harbaugh either doesn't trust them or is just too conservative regardless of who you have (out of Smith and Kaepernick, not discussing Manning here). I read on an articles comments someone claiming that we didn't attack because if Kaep threw a game-ending INT to go with the pitch and incorrectly called safety, everyone would be going for Smith. But I don't think Harbaugh makes decisions on the field based on press conference pressure, lol.

Having said that, the drives have been all over the place in my mind, I felt we did attack for a TD when we passed to Walker - that could have been an INT or a TD - knowing Walker, if that pass weren't on the spot, he wouldn't have prevented an INT. But I agree, overall, that we were conservative and know I might be wrong on which drive was which. I think the Walker pass was on the go ahead FG in regulation (obviously). In OT, all conservative except the pass to Moss on third and 3. (Not risky either.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate mental errors much more than I do physical ones so I think Kaepernick's most egregious error was voluntarily running out of bounds right before Akers' field goal which either saved the Rams 40 seconds or saved them their final timeout. Either way, the Rams would then lose the game. It was a complete mental failure and showed that his head was not in the game. Physical mistakes happen but being stupid is unacceptable. I would think that when the play was called they must have told him "do not run out of bounds". If not, then shame on the coaches.

I hate them too, but you can learn from mental mistakes more than physical mistakes (all mistakes have a mental aspect to them - just being beat isn't a mistake). If QBs could learn from physical mistakes or physical limitations, Smith would be our QB - having learned to overcome them. I think his risk adverse personality is in part physical.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, Coaches should be clear to players on game circumstances. more so in the 4th when emotions are running high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why is it Akers fault that the niner ran into the middle preferring to set up a long field goal rather than going downfield for mores yards or a td. This loss is more on piss poor coaching than it is players

it is partly his fault...........for missing it. yeah, it was long and not a gimmie, so how much is "part", is up to opinion.

yeah, went too conservative similar to when Alex was starting. :-)

let me clarify, we were TOO conseervative in that situation, not all game. i'm actually ok with the pass calls near our own end zone. the pitch was questionable, but not so much i'm cursing it.

my reason is......these plays expand our offense, defenses now have to defend all kinds of plays. we're not as predictable as in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Especially when Harbaugh just finished telling us that Akers is dealing with a pelvic injury. Why the fuck would he pin his hopes on an injured kicker hitting a 51 yarder? It seems the guy cannot think in the heat of battle because he gets so worked up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate them too, but you can learn from mental mistakes more than physical mistakes (all mistakes have a mental aspect to them - just being beat isn't a mistake). If QBs could learn from physical mistakes or physical limitations, Smith would be our QB - having learned to overcome them. I think his risk adverse personality is in part physical.

Agreed. I'm talking about dropped passes, fumbles and the like though I suppose you could say there is a mental aspect to those as well, ie lack of concentration. Guys drop the ball, but there is no excuse for not knowing the situation.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, Coaches should be clear to players on game circumstances. more so in the 4th when emotions are running high.

Unfortunately, no one's emotions seem to run higher in the 4th quarter than our beloved head coach's do.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is partly his fault...........for missing it. yeah, it was long and not a gimmie, so how much is "part", is up to opinion.

yeah, went too conservative similar to when Alex was starting. :-)

let me clarify, we were TOO conseervative in that situation, not all game. i'm actually ok with the pass calls near our own end zone. the pitch was questionable, but not so much i'm cursing it.my reason is......these plays expand our offense, defenses now have to defend all kinds of plays. we're not as predictable as in the past.

Boy, I sure was cursing it. I couldn't believe it.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately, no one's emotions seem to run higher in the 4th quarter than our beloved head coach's do.

Harbaugh isn't the only coach, and we're not only talking about the QB.

this even applies to ST's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Boy, I sure was cursing it. I couldn't believe it.

the play call, the execution, or both? obviously, the execution was bad, no argument here.

fans have been asking for more creative plays for years, to expand the offense? so there is an example of it.

won't argue the call in that particular situation, but the call by itself wasn't so bad.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the play call, the execution, or both? obviously, the execution was bad, no argument here.

fans have been asking for more creative plays for years, to expand the offense? so there is an example of it.

won't argue the call in that particular situation, but the call by itself wasn't so bad.

The execution and the call at the time. I was like what the fu..? and then it was a stream of &*^%$#@!() after I saw it go over Ginn's head. It was so bad even my parrot was cursing.