• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some alarming Steelers stats to chew on...

Out of 26 first half drives this season Matt Canada's offense has only moved into the Red Zone 1 time.

61% of their drives result in 3rd downs, and 55% of drives fail to achieve a single 1st down. These ranks are both dead last in the NFL right now.

Steelers are 32nd in 3&out rate & plays per drive.

Under Matt Canada (since 2021): 31st in yardage & 31st in points scored

The Steelers are 19-3-1 (86%) if their defense holds their opponent to less than 22pts, and 1-15 (0.06%) if they score more than that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even though the Steelers have marginally better team stats... They are still achieving less on an efficiency basis.

What this might mean is, the Bengals get 1-2 more 1st downs than the Steelers...

Small victories

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bit of a cherry picked, skewed stat given the Steelers have only been in the red zone like 1 or 2 times but...

3rd down conversion % inside FG range
71% - Baltimore Ravens
59% - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
58% - Denver Broncos
53% - Dallas Cowboys
48% - New Orleans Saints
47% - Kansas City Chiefs
46% - New York Giants
44% - San Francisco 49ers
43% - Cincinnati Bengals
42% - Chicago Bears
40% - Houston Texans
40% - New York Jets
39% - Philadelphia Eagles
39% - Los Angeles Chargers
39% - Minnesota Vikings
38% - Buffalo Bills
38% - Los Angeles Rams
38% - Green Bay Packers
38% - Tennessee Titans
36% - Miami Dolphins
35% - Indianapolis Colts
33% - Atlanta Falcons
29% - Arizona Cardinals
29% - Jacksonville Jaguars
24% - Las Vegas Raiders
24% - Detroit Lions
22% - Cleveland Browns
21% - Washington Commanders
21% - Carolina Panthers
21% - Seattle Seahawks
18% - New England Patriots
10% - Pittsburgh Steelers

(2023, within 35 yards of the end zone)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even though the Steelers have marginally better team stats... They are still achieving less on an efficiency basis.

What this means is, the Bengals get 1-2 more 1st downs than the Steelers...

Small victories
And yet, if we can agree for a moment...the Bengals have much better talent on offense, which is the crux of my argument. No one gets less out of more than Taylor.

I mean...Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Mixon....should be nowhere near the stats this offense is putting up. Even with Burrow limited.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, if we can agree for a moment...the Bengals have much better talent on offense, which is the crux of my argument. No one gets less out of more than Taylor.

I mean...Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Mixon....should be nowhere near the stats this offense is putting up. Even with Burrow limited.
Yes. Definitely agree with you here. That's absurd to have the talent they have and to be anywhere near the bottom of the league in any statistical category.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, I would be more sad if I were a Steeler fan. I mean, Tomlin can do something about it. Or, I mean he should've already done something about it. Are you telling me that he couldn't have gone to ownership this offseason and said that they needed a change on the offensive staff? Tomlin is a defensive coach - Why the hell doesn't he hire the best damn offensive staff that money can buy and then just get out of the way? He can still do all of his motivational shit, he can still dabble with the defensive gameplan, etc., etc. But, he hasn't done a damn thing. Why? It doesn't make any sense. There wasn't a single person that I've ever talked to that said that Canada would be fine and he just needed another year. It's criminal what Tomlin is doing to that franchise and it's not entirely different than what Belicheck is currently doing to the Pats.

For the Bengals, Taylor is the HC and he has always insisted on calling his own plays. He's probably not going to change and this is going to be a part of what you get when you get Zac Taylor. To his credit, he had a good run the last two years and has a built-in excuse right now given Burrow's calf.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, I would be more sad if I were a Steeler fan. I mean, Tomlin can do something about it. Or, I mean he should've already done something about it. Are you telling me that he couldn't have gone to ownership this offseason and said that they needed a change on the offensive staff? Tomlin is a defensive coach - Why the hell doesn't he hire the best damn offensive staff that money can buy and then just get out of the way? He can still do all of his motivational shit, he can still dabble with the defensive gameplan, etc., etc. But, he hasn't done a damn thing. Why? It doesn't make any sense. There wasn't a single person that I've ever talked to that said that Canada would be fine and he just needed another year. It's criminal what Tomlin is doing to that franchise and it's not entirely different than what Belicheck is currently doing to the Pats.

For the Bengals, Taylor is the HC and he has always insisted on calling his own plays. He's probably not going to change and this is going to be a part of what you get when you get Zac Taylor. To his credit, he had a good run the last two years and has a built-in excuse right now given Burrow's calf.
I agree huge difference is the Bengals have proven talent on offense. The Steelers is all contrived in potential.

Hate to use the excuse but if Burrow was healthy they would be on top in offensive production.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO.

Tomlin is a diva and meddler and rather than hire 'the best damn offensive staff that money can buy', he wants someone he can control.

Bruce Arians got pushed out because he and Ben got too chummy.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another excuse for Tomlin to give Canada a three year extension. :L

AFCN passing yardage:

Steelers:737
Ravens: 735
Browns: 690
Bengals: 664

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO.

Tomlin is a diva and meddler and rather than hire 'the best damn offensive staff that money can buy', he wants someone he can control.

And Todd Haley got pushed out because they catered to Ben.

Tomlin is absolutely all about control though. You will never see anyone reference Tomlin's coaching tree.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really get all the hate for the Steeler OC, but after looking at the numbers, I have to admit that It IS a little surprising that the Steelers offense has only scored 4 total TDs in the 4 games this season.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really get all the hate for the Steeler OC, but after looking at the numbers, I have to admit that It IS a little surprising that the Steelers offense has only scored 4 total TDs in the 4 games this season.
The number of 3 and outs is flabbergasting.

Drives ending in a punt or turnover: Steelers, Bears, and Browns 67%, Patriots 71%. That's the bottom of the league.

The offense as a whole is lateral, and slow. And it's predictable, which is a sin. 85% of the time if they are in shotgun it's a pass, if they are under center it's a run. The announcers are even keying in on how predictable they are. Opposing defenses are laughing about how they saw the play before either IN THAT GAME or in film study and knew exactly what to do to counter it. Canada runs the same plays over and over. It's excruciating.

“It was just all film study, man,” Nelson said. “You know, watching what they do, what they were successful at. They hit the same player, same formation look like last week, they scored on the touchdown versus Vegas. And I was just ready for it. Recognizing the formation and the player who they run the post with, and it just allowed me to go out there and make a play on the ball.”​

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...thinking ahead last week in fantasy, i benched the Jets D and P/U Pittsburgh thinking steelers and rookie QB. It wasn't the reason I took the L, BUT it made me look football stupid.

Two things watching the game somewhat closely.
1 Stroud looks every bit the part after being abused by the media and thus 60% footba fans out there. Good for him.

2 While I can understand Steeler nation seeing the OC as the problem. I see as one of the problems. Your QB was by no uncertain terms was plug and play. It takes a village more times than not to develope a good NFL QB. That isn't all at the OC's feet IMO

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO.

Nothing but net here.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...thinking ahead last week in fantasy, i benched the Jets D and P/U Pittsburgh thinking steelers and rookie QB. It wasn't the reason I took the L, BUT it made me look football stupid.

1 Stroud looks every bit the part after being abused by the media and thus 60% footba fans out there. Good for him.

2 While I can understand Steeler nation seeing the OC as the problem. I see as one of the problems. Your QB was by no uncertain terms was plug and play. It takes a village more times than not to develope a good NFL QB. That isn't all at the OC's feet IMO
2... Don't think anyone would refute that. That's well understood. The problem for us is, the OC is the most OBVIOUS problem and HAS BEEN for going on 3 seasons now. The saddest part is that this has been Canada's M-O all throughout college. Can't for the life of me understand how this man continues to have a reputation of a great offensive mind. Outside of 1 years of decent success, the stats on the paper show an abysmal coordinator throughout his career. No clue how this guy keeps getting jobs.

Simply put... It's increasingly impossible for any of these players to excel when the defense KNOWS what they are going to do. The coaches are ok with putting them in a losing situation, with the cards stacked against them, and telling them to EXECUTE!

Last edited:

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's on the coaching staff as a whole's feet. And that includes Tomlin. Lots of us have been calling for Tomlin to be replaced for years. We're approaching a decade of this team being the most average of teams you could ever find, and it's getting worse, not better.