• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted for child abuse

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example.....?

With a 4 year old? They are what 2 feet tall? And you're six ft tall? If the angry, serious tone of your lecture isn't enough to give them a message then maybe being grounded to the room to sit and think about will do. And then when that's over, give them another angry serious lecture and send them back to think about it some more.

If you even have to do that. You don't think your kid can figure out he did something really wrong? You don't need to hit the kid to set boundaries.

I think I spanked my kid once in my life and that was a mistake on my part because it was more anger than anything else.

I'm sure there are times where a swat or something quick makes sense but for the most part you have more power as a parent then you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does spanking become abuse?
While it may be true that many of today's parents were spanked as children and are now well-adjusted, previous studies have also shown that those who were spanked are at a higher risk to be depressed; use alcohol; hit their spouse or own children; and engage in violent or criminal behaviors.
bttn_close.gif

Physical punishment doesn't help, it hurts
The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Canadian Paediatric Society discourage spanking and other forms of physical punishment. It is unlawful in 32 countries -- not including the United States or Canada -- for parents and other caregivers to use physical punishment against children.
....Can spanking cause mental illness? - CNN.com

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the thread, I was expecting the pictures to be a lot worse than they were. They were a bunch of 2 inch slashes on the arm. He went a little overboard, sure, but none of those bruises look that bad when you realize how zoomed in they are. It's clear he felt bad about the injuries.

He deserves a conviction of what Texas calls a "state prison felony" which is a low class of felony that usually comes with probation. I'm not sure why anyone would view this as a career-ending event or anything. It's not like he killed or even moderately injured the kid. It's not near as bad, as say, a DWI which poses serious risk to any kid on the crowd. If a 1st offense DWI is a 2 game suspension, that sounds fine to me.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a 4 year old? They are what 2 feet tall? And you're six ft tall? If the angry, serious tone of your lecture isn't enough to give them a message then maybe being grounded to the room to sit and think about will do. And then when that's over, give them another angry serious lecture and send them back to think about it some more.

If you even have to do that. You don't think your kid can figure out he did something really wrong? You don't need to hit the kid to set boundaries.

I think I spanked my kid once in my life and that was a mistake on my part because it was more anger than anything else.

Getting serious and giving them a lecture works fine with some children, others not so much. When it comes to their safety you need to get their attention and for some children that means a swap on their butt. Raised 5 kids and have 5 grand kids, so far , and one great grand child. Trust me some need that swat on the butt and others just need a frown.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with spanking a kid on the ass, (no need to make a kid drop trow either)or slapping them open handed in the face. If they're putting themselves and others at risk and need to pay attention and never repeat their actions.

This AP shit ain't even close to okay.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure there are times where a swat or something quick makes sense but for the most part you have more power as a parent then you think.

And what if the kid will not go to his room after repeatedly being told to?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of one reason for an adult to hit a kid.

Ok, so I hit my kid once and I don't regret it. He was teething and latched onto to my groin dead-center. I hit him on the thigh to get him off of me and I don't regret it to this day. Call me crazy, but talking him out of it softly just didn't seem like an option.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the thread, I was expecting the pictures to be a lot worse than they were. They were a bunch of 2 inch slashes on the arm. He went a little overboard, sure, but none of those bruises look that bad when you realize how zoomed in they are. It's clear he felt bad about the injuries.

He deserves a conviction of what Texas calls a "state prison felony" which is a low class of felony that usually comes with probation. I'm not sure why anyone would view this as a career-ending event or anything. It's not like he killed or even moderately injured the kid. It's not near as bad, as say, a DWI which poses serious risk to any kid on the crowd. If a 1st offense DWI is a 2 game suspension, that sounds fine to me.

So you have him on your Fantasy Football team....

He deserves to be in prison. That's where he deserves to be.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is wrong with AP? Why isn't he being a responsible parent and giving them a pill when they act up?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can say AP went over the line but just remember that Adrian Peterson probably had his ass whipped as a kid, so he was just doing what his dad did. Almost every adult that commits child abuse was abused as a kid. That's how it works. It worth trying something else first.

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duct tape and cig burning...yeah....that's the ticket. :)

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can say AP went over the line but just remember that Adrian Peterson probably had his ass whipped as a kid, so he was just doing what his dad did. Almost every adult that commits child abuse was abused as a kid. That's how it works. It worth trying something else first.

:agree:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My dad was beat to a pulp as a kid.

30 years later he did nothing more than spank me. Why? Because he learned that beating a kid does nothing but bad.

Also, it's not 1965 anymore. We aren't under the impression that kids need to be whipped by belts in 2014.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why make excuses for the guy?

He's a grown ass man with every resource available.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah he most likely got some harsh ass whooping as a child, but nobody notice, still you got to try not to repeat the mistakes of your parents. Moderation in all things.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If reports are to be believed, AP said he was beaten as a child as part of his defense here. He basically said he learned some tough love growing up and believes in that kind of parenting himself.

Problem is, this kid was 4 and it sounds like he beat him bad.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not have to fire that shit stain Goodell. By this point he may be thinking this bullshit isn't worth $44 million a year. As for AP bad timing dude, you're gonna get screwed. I guess Emmit Smiths' record is safe for another decade or two. As for the owners, if they had a collective brain between them they would be scrambling for a way to get out of the criminal justice business and back into the football business. Ef'ing morons.:gaah:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting serious and giving them a lecture works fine with some children, others not so much. When it comes to their safety you need to get their attention and for some children that means a swap on their butt. Raised 5 kids and have 5 grand kids, so far , and one great grand child. Trust me some need that swat on the butt and others just need a frown.

Well there's serious and then there's REALLY angry, serious. Kids aren't stupid. They can tell the difference. I can go with a hard swat on the butt in some cases. I may even have done it myself although I can't remember but the whipping/switching as something normal is a thing of the past. It's time to move on.