• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AD will not sign extension and has requested a trade.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD is a top 5, maybe top 3, maybe top 1 player...

... he has super immense value to a bonafide team... that doesn't change 6 months from now.

Team has to be a championship contender, of course... that would be the only caveat.
And that wasn't true of Kawhi last summer?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Siakam Jonas or Ibaka whichever they prefer and Wright or OG as well as picks which could be quite good if they don't wind up resigning AD and Kawhi.

There are quite a few options to make it work. Pascals value is very high. He already beat the Pelicans in the preseason as the Raptors feature player playing against AD and and a complete Pelicans squad sitting no one. Raptors sat most of their starters. He also fits seamlessly as a glue guy as he is an elite defender capable of defending 1 to 4 and some 5s.

Ibaka and Jonas both playing great too. Fit well with Siakam.

Siakam? Sure. OG? Sure.
Ibaka at $21M. No thanks. Jonas at $16M. No thanks. And they dno't have any draft picks to offer. Jonas/Ibaka would just be to try to match up the money but sorry I name a handful of teams that can offer better players AND picks.

Knicks
Celtics
Nuggets
Lakers

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, you're gambling that the Celtics will be in a position to do so. If they lose Kyrie, there's no chance they're moving major assets for AD just to potentially lose him too in a year.
I know there is a lot of wild speculation about Kyrie going to various teams this offseason...

... but that's all it is: wild speculation. I'm thinking NBA executives are not as taken in by such as the average fan is.

That aside: again, this isn't just a Celtics thing. The bidding war is likely to be better this offseason regardless of any one team, and there is virtually no risk that the bidding war is worse. Why wouldn't the Pel's wait?

BBB said:
The point I'm making is that I don't think LA is capable of giving them the best package either today or in the summer. It's not like Magic can go offer a 20% stake in his movie theatres in a trade for AD lol
Oh... I don't disagree with you on this point then.
And that wasn't true of Kawhi last summer?
I don't follow you. What's your point with this question?

How does it change the fact that it's a low risk, high benefit proposition for the Pel's to merely wait until the Summer?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the team who wants him for two playoff runs be putting up their best package today rather than 6 months from now?

What's the logic in paying more for less later?

Well for one thing, he's injured right now.

For another you will need to get AD to fit under your current roster and salary cap. And given he will likely cost several pieces that are important to your team now, you can't be sure how much he will ultimately help you.

It's possible that the Lakers will go all in for him right now. But I can't see any other team doing it.

You are also assuming that a team would assume that they are nly getting 1 or 2 seasons out of him. The Pelicans need teams to think they can resign him to get the biggest haul.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popovich must have gotten to them!! :D
Lol, you'd think the Lakers have been dominating the league(and not the lottery) for this past decade with the hate we get

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think the Lakers have been dominating the league(and not the lottery) for this past decade with the hate we get
lol... in fairness, the Pel's aren't likely to trade to anybody before the deadline... that's true regardless of any hate for the Lakers, or directives from Pops.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is a lot of wild speculation about Kyrie going to various teams this offseason...

... but that's all it is: wild speculation. I'm thinking NBA executives are not as taken in by such as the average fan is.

That aside: again, this isn't just a Celtics thing. The bidding war is likely to be better this offseason regardless of any one team, and there is virtually no risk that the bidding war is worse. Why wouldn't the Pel's wait?
Kyrie may definitely stay. I'm far less sure of his intentions than I am of my personal conviction that AD fully intends to be a Laker in the future.

But he may not. And that move alone would make any Celtics deal for AD seem kind of pointless, would you not agree?

I don't follow you. What's your point with this question?

How does it change the fact that it's a low risk, high benefit proposition for the Pel's to merely wait until the Summer?
There is more value to a team in a contention window of having AD for two playoff runs than for one. That's the value there. They will likely pay more today for him than they will come summer knowing they very likely only have him for one full season.

My point with Kawhi is that I think if he were traded a year ago (and had played the entire season) he'd have fetched the Spurs much more than what they got, which wasn't much. If the Pels look at what the Spurs got in the summer for a guy very much considered a top 5 player in the league and then compare that to some of the offers they may receive in the next week I think they may very well see that the best option is trading him now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible that the Lakers will go all in for him right now. But I can't see any other team doing it.
You really don't think the Raptors would let NO have their pick of their assets?

You are also assuming that a team would assume that they are nly getting 1 or 2 seasons out of him. The Pelicans need teams to think they can resign him to get the biggest haul.
But nobody believes that other than LA. They've already lost that battle.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie may definitely stay. I'm far less sure of his intentions than I am of my personal conviction that AD fully intends to be a Laker in the future.

But he may not. And that move alone would make any Celtics deal for AD seem kind of pointless, would you not agree?
If and when Kyrie jumps ship in Boston... then sure.

None of that changes the fact that the Pel's are likely to get better value for AD in the summer than they are now.

I wouldn't disagree that there is some worse case scenrio where waiting hurts the Pel's... anything's possible. Best best is on waiting, though... and it's not even close.
BBB said:
There is more value to a team in a contention window of having AD for two playoff runs than for one. That's the value there. They will likely pay more today for him than they will come summer knowing they very likely only have him for one full season.
Teams are likely to give up a king's ransom either way, though. I would completely disagree with the proposition that any team wanting AD would somehow lowball if the Pel's make them wait until the summer.
BBB said:
My point with Kawhi is that I think if he were traded a year ago (and had played the entire season) he'd have fetched the Spurs much more than what they got, which wasn't much. If the Pels look at what the Spurs got in the summer for a guy very much considered a top 5 player in the league and then compare that to some of the offers they may receive in the next week I think they may very well see that the best option is trading him now.
That Kawhi situation was very peculiar. Kawhi's "injury" was peculiar... the totally broken relationship between the parties involved was peculiar... Coach Pops and his attitude on the trade was peculiar...

Not sure how much we can gleen from that and apply to this, frankly.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really don't think the Raptors would let NO have their pick of their assets?

I dunno. I also don't know if the Pelicans would want that trade which would basically boil down to Siakim and OG and some other random parts.

But nobody believes that other than LA. They've already lost that battle.

I highly doubt that. 2 years ago "everyone" thought that PG13 was going to LA. Last year "everyone" thought that Kawhi was going to LA. Now "everyone" thinks that AD is going to LA. The Lakers would be an amazing team if "everyone" knew what they were talking about.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, y'alls package is not particularly strong... especially for a rebuilding team.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean this makes sense to me. I wouldnt want to be the team that led the Lakers back to dominance that could not be challenged.

Lebron and Davis together- esp. if they got a third player, would be ridiculous in the short term while LeBron is still a great talent.

And Davis gives them the franchise center peice for the next decade to attract other players. If the Pelicans trade the Lakers Davis they would likely be creating a monster they could never defeat.

I am sure they are looking at every other option before that one.

The Lakers have been down a long time- and no one is in a rush to help them get back on top since if they get good- its a franchise that has the ability to stay good for a very long time-- esp. with Davis who could be the NBAs best player soon.

If the Lakers get Davis, what ancillary pieces would not want to go there and play with him and LeBron? It would just open up the floodgates.

the entire league should be terrified of that scenario if you ask me. The only thing that could derail it is if LeBron goes the way of Kobe at age 34 and falls off a cliff.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of that changes the fact that the Pel's are likely to get better value for AD in the summer than they are now.
We're going to have to disagree on this. I think it becomes a much tougher sell in July.

Keep in mind that they'll be going up against potential free agents that teams won't have to give anything up for. If you can pay Kawhi or Durant or Butler and keep your roster intact why would you go nuke it for AD? Are you really that confident if you're the Pelicans that Boston is going to come up and give you everything you want? What's the logic there other than the Pelicans GM is secretly a Celtics fan lol

That Kawhi situation was very peculiar. Kawhi's "injury" was peculiar... the totally broken relationship between the parties involved was peculiar... Coach Pops and his attitude on the trade was peculiar...

Not sure how much we can gleen from that and apply to this, frankly.[/QUOTE]
Really the only thing that's even a little pertinent is that maybe teams were concerned about Kawhi's "injury". Which is a concern that could be alleviated in an hour-long medical.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to have to disagree on this. I think it becomes a much tougher sell in July.

Keep in mind that they'll be going up against potential free agents that teams won't have to give anything up for. If you can pay Kawhi or Durant or Butler and keep your roster intact why would you go nuke it for AD? Are you really that confident if you're the Pelicans that Boston is going to come up and give you everything you want? What's the logic there other than the Pelicans GM is secretly a Celtics fan lol
Fine with agreeing to disagree... we've both said our piece, no use going round and round.
BBB said:
Really the only thing that's even a little pertinent is that maybe teams were concerned about Kawhi's "injury". Which is a concern that could be alleviated in an hour-long medical.
Faking an injury in order to miss that many games because he was mad is the obvious issue you're overlooking.

Coach Pop's peculiar ideas... (such as his hate for the Lakers)... are another aspect you're overlooking.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. I also don't know if the Pelicans would want that trade which would basically boil down to Siakim and OG and some other random parts.
Well, say those random parts include first rounders in '21 and '23 when the Raptors will likely no longer have either Kawhi nor AD. Looks a bit sweeter now than Kuzma, Lonzo (who's already putting out there that he doesn't want to go to NOLA) and some dead firsts no?

I highly doubt that. 2 years ago "everyone" thought that PG13 was going to LA. Last year "everyone" thought that Kawhi was going to LA. Now "everyone" thinks that AD is going to LA. The Lakers would be an amazing team if "everyone" knew what they were talking about.
I mean, I still think Kawhi's going to LA. I'd like for him not to but I'm not very hopeful.

If there isn't a signed contract you should just assume the guy's leaving. In the NBA for the past decade that has generally been a safe assumption.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Faking an injury in order to miss that many games because he was mad is the obvious issue you're overlooking.

Coach Pop's peculiar ideas... (such as his hate for the Lakers)... are another aspect you're overlooking.
True but it was pretty clear that he was going to have to play somewhere this season if he wanted to get the contract he wanted from a team he wanted to play for next summer. It's not like sitting out again was much of an option.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, say those random parts include first rounders in '21 and '23 when the Raptors will likely no longer have either Kawhi nor AD. Looks a bit sweeter now than Kuzma, Lonzo (who's already putting out there that he doesn't want to go to NOLA) and some dead firsts no?

The Lakers picks would be the same picks yet you call them dead picks. Regardless, the argument is why would the Pelicans feel compelled to take THAT trade now?