• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AD chasing Emmitt

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has pin-up calender from 1987 still hanging in the garage.
LOL
*Schmoop sneaks out to his garage to take down his calander*

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a sec now.....P-day is the only guy on this board who is old enough to have seen Sayers play:laugh3:

LOL used to be espn classic.... I always watched the old games.
Id rather judge players seeing them play... that read their numbers.

numbers dont show vision or heart. and Pday would probably be higher on Sayers than me (I'm guessing)

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just being difficult, Imma get Erik for you lol :lol:

HAHAHAHAA really I'm not..

My kid says im not a fan I'm obsessed. HAHAHA ... in the offseason I rewatch games. and always watch the classic games when I can. :hope:

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The best running backs of alltime were 1. Jim Brown 2. Me 3. Barry Sanders." - William Sanders (father of Barry)

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro he had a crappy team, I dare you to name w/o google 10 players on that team outside of Sanders and Moore.

I dont think he did..

I remember Perriman and Grey.

remember they had 2 1000 yard receivers ... think they even had 3 one year. ( I havent looked this up yet)
I remember they ran the run and shoot offense. Which was the pro version of Spurrier's crappy fun and gun .

I do remember they had several pro bowlers on the O-line. The defense always took the blame for their losses.
20 years ago .. give or take .... That team wasnt piss poor ... not at all

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several Lions' pro-bowlers = Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover. Unfortunately for Barry they were never teammates and both released in their respective primes.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he did..

I remember Perriman and Grey.

remember they had 2 1000 yard receivers ... think they even had 3 one year. ( I havent looked this up yet)
I remember they ran the run and shoot offense. Which was the pro version of Spurrier's crappy fun and gun .

I do remember they had several pro bowlers on the O-line. The defense always took the blame for their losses.
20 years ago .. give or take .... That team wasnt piss poor ... not at all
I remember Rodney Peete having a pretty good year in the run & shoot offense. Which if you think about it was taylor made for a runner like Sanders. Spread out the defense. Seemed to me another QB had some good stats too. Want to say Mitchell but I just cant get myself to think he had a good year LOL

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several Lions' pro-bowlers = Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover. Unfortunately for Barry they were never teammates and both released in their respective primes.

I give Barry a lot of respect for his running but I subtract a lot of that for never trusting the 10 men around him. If you watch Emmitt run he wouldn't wait to run his route. He'd get the ball and get going to his spot. More often than not the designed hole he was going to would open as he got there not before. Barry too often would wait then excel after the whole opened. Now yes he was fast enough to sill get through but the hole often would close as he got there. I think if he just trusted his line and coordinator he'd of broke Payton's record before Emmitt did. I'm not sure if he'd have kept going long enough to keep Emmitt from breaking his record.

Barry was a better runner, but Emmitt could catch better, block better, and had a whole hell of a lot more heart.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The best running backs of alltime were 1. Jim Brown 2. Me 3. Barry Sanders." - William Sanders (father of Barry)

Career
Emmitt
Walter
Jim Brown
Barry

2-3 years stretch
AD
Earl
T Davis
Dickerson

Too bad we'll never know
Bo

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Barry a lot of respect for his running but I subtract a lot of that for never trusting the 10 men around him. If you watch Emmitt run he wouldn't wait to run his route. He'd get the ball and get going to his spot. More often than not the designed hole he was going to would open as he got there not before. Barry too often would wait then excel after the whole opened. Now yes he was fast enough to sill get through but the hole often would close as he got there. I think if he just trusted his line and coordinator he'd of broke Payton's record before Emmitt did. I'm not sure if he'd have kept going long enough to keep Emmitt from breaking his record.

Barry was a better runner, but Emmitt could catch better, block better, and had a whole hell of a lot more heart.

Disagree.... Rb isnt running the 40

Thats the only aspect of the game Barry was better than Emmitt.
Didn't have the vision didnt lower his shoulders, didn't the have 10% of the heart, not pass bla=ock block .

Barry was fun to watch ....... but no one building a winning team would list him as their starting runningback. No one with an IQ over 2.

fantasy footbal maybe ....

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask Bosworth, He knows Bo. Bo could have been #1 all time. He was a beast with speed.

coulda woulda shoulda ..

He was badass..... no doubt about that

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was actually a nice one manster.....

Bo was something special.... at the time baseball payed batter... but he was something to watch....
Had he focusued on football ( and kept his health).......... he wuld have been up there..... He was special

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since some people didn't read all of my original post, my list was made based on who I have watched play the game. Any opinion that I have on guys who played prior to 1991 would not be a very informed opinion. Yes, I have watched all the highlights and heard all the talk from the greats who say this about Jim Brown, or that about Walter Payton, and so on and so on. But anyone looks great in highlights, anyone can look amazing for a game -- and those are usually the only moments and games you see on t.v anymore. I never got to watch those guys go through a 14 or 16 game season, or to watch them play from one season to the next, so my opinion is not worth much when it comes to those players. Therefor I chose not to include anyone prior to 1991.

As for all the Sanders bashing, I don't get it. Barry was without question the greatest RB I ever saw play and his numbers stack up favorably against anyone's.

Barry averaged 5.0 yards per carry for his career.
Payton - 4.4
Jim Brown - 5.2
Emmitt - 4.2

Barry averaged 20.01 carries per game over 153 games
Payton - 20.2 carries per game over 190 games
Brown - 19.99 carries per game over 118 games
Emmitt - 19.5 carries per game over 226

Barry rushed for over 1450 yards 7 times in a 10 year career
Payton - 5 times in 13 years
**Brown - 4 times in 9 years (I gave Brown credit for '64, rushed for 1446. Brown played fewer games per season)
Emmitt - 5 times in 15 years

Barry averaged 99.8 yards per game for his career
Payton - 88.0
Brown - 104.3
Emmitt - 81.2

Barry averaged .71 touchdowns per game for his career
Payton - .65
Brown - 1.06
Emmitt - .77

Without posting all the receiving numbers, the order of the most accomplished receiver according to the stats goes like this:

1. Brown
2. Payton
3. Sanders
4. Smith

If we are going by the stats the all time list goes like this:

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4, Emmitt Smith

Jim Brown is regarded by many as the best football player ever. The stats say he is the best RB ever.

Barry Sanders is arguably second best. And most definitely the best RB I have ever watched play.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry was fun to watch ....... but no one building a winning team would list him as their starting runningback. No one with an IQ over 2.

fantasy footbal maybe ....

Strictly your opinion. And in my opinion, not very sound.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does post season matter? Does TD's Matter? Does championships matter? Does it matter that Barry was the only RB on the list who wasn't a 3 down back? When you start comparing the numbers amongst the great ones you can make those numbers appear to say what ever benefits your argument. I'm not saying Barry wasn't the greatest im not saying he is either. What I am saying though is you can make a strong argument for each of the 4 greatest. It depends on What your looking for in a RB. Emmitt may be 2nd or 3rd on the list, but he was the right player for our team. Don't think you can just insert Barry In the Cowboys dynasty and assume the team would have been the same or better.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does post season matter? Does TD's Matter? Does championships matter? Does it matter that Barry was the only RB on the list who wasn't a 3 down back? When you start comparing the numbers amongst the great ones you can make those numbers appear to say what ever benefits your argument. I'm not saying Barry wasn't the greatest im not saying he is either. What I am saying though is you can make a strong argument for each of the 4 greatest. It depends on What your looking for in a RB. Emmitt may be 2nd or 3rd on the list, but he was the right player for our team. Don't think you can just insert Barry In the Cowboys dynasty and assume the team would have been the same or better.

I made reference to TD's. I chose not to include post season and super bowls in the comparison. That is largely reliant on TEAM success. Sanders had the misfortune of being in the same conference as Dallas, San Francisco, and Green Bay in the 90's. Not to mention the Lions were not even in the same universe as a team compared with the dominant teams of that era. Emmitt had the great fortune of being surrounded by Hall of Fame caliber players. I would love to see what Barry could of done if he were in Emmitt's shoes.

Signed: a Cowboy fan

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly your opinion. And in my opinion, not very sound.

well since you like throwing numbers....

I dont know you hoss... this a game you dont want to play with me

top10 rushing TDs ever scored in a season

Only one man is on that list TWICE ... Only ONE RB EVER scored 20+ in a season (rushing) in his career.

Emmitt Smith

You can jump on Sanders if you want ... He aint number #1 ... To me he ain't #3

Now check those stats hoss

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well since you like throwing numbers....

I dont know you hoss... this a game you dont want to play with me

top10 rushing TDs ever scored in a season

Only one man is on that list TWICE ... Only ONE RB EVER scored 20+ in a season (rushing) in his career.

Emmitt Smith

You can jump on Sanders if you want ... He aint number #1 ... To me he ain't #3

Now check those stats hoss

couldnt edit ....

Only ONE RB ever hit 20 rushing TDs+ twice