• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Actual Baseball News: Fielder for Kinsler Blockbuster

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tailoring your lineup to your home ballpark can be carried too far.

My Red Sox have been much more successful since they ceased basing as many
of their personnel decisions on Fenway Park's dimensions.

You play as may games on the road as at home, and too much tailoring can result in teams that win
ONLY at home. That's not what you want. BALANCE should be your goal.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You play as may games on the road as at home, and too much tailoring can result in teams that win

While I agree with your assessment, you must also agree that Fenway is a much different animal to any other park out there.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont know if I would make the jump that the Red Sox winning last year had to do with anything other than having a lot of damn good talent

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the most shameless earwig is MIA's Paper Planes.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Red Sox players are getting an extra $307K for winning the World Series, while the runner-up St. Louis Cardinals are each getting a bonus of $228K for their playoff run.
Major League Baseball announced Thursday how it will distribute the $62,683,966 in extra player money from the postseason. Each team that makes the postseason gets a cut — playoff shares, they're called — depending on how well they fared. The Red Sox get the most, the Cardinals get the next highest amount and so on.
This year's per-player playoff share for the Red Sox is a nice chunk of change, but it doesn't match last season's record of $377,000 that the San Francisco Giants received.
Here's the team-by-team rundown of the 2013 paydays:
Boston Red Sox: $307,322.68
• St. Louis Cardinals: $228,300.17
Detroit Tigers: $129,278.22
Los Angeles Dodgers: $108,037.06
Oakland Athletics: $37,316.25
Pittsburgh Pirates: $35,558.58
Tampa Bay Rays: $35,280.10
Atlanta Braves: $34,012.30
Cincinnati Reds: $15,284.85
Cleveland Indians: $15,107.00
The teams that lose each series get the same amount of cash, but players vote how they'll distribute the money and that's why the individual payouts differ. For example: Both the Tigers and Dodgers received $7,522,076, but Dodgers players voted to award 58 full shares while the Tigers gave out only 48. Some players get partial shares or cash awards too.
MLB explains where the money comes from:
The players’ pool was formed from 50 percent of the gate receipts from the Wild Card Games presented by Budweiser; 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first three games of the Division Series; 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first four games of the League Championship Series; and 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first four games of the World Series.
Who's the happiest about this? Perhaps the young St. Louis Cardinals. The Cards had a handful of rookies who were making the major-league minimum of $490,000 this season, so getting an extra $228K is quite a bonus. David Ortiz, for example, made $14.5 million in 2013, so an additional $307K is nice, but it's not a huge bump.
Michael Wacha, Trevor Rosenthal, Carlos Martinez, Matt Adams, Pete Kozma, Seth Maness, Shelby Miller and Kevin Siegrist are among the Cardinals who made $490K this season and now will enjoy a 47% bonus.
If anyone of those dudes owes you money, today is a good day to send 'em a text message.

Jerzyjeff

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a.k.a earwigs.

Like "Walking on sunshine" or "Tainted love"

They just stick in the head forever it seems.

TeddysHead would have a field day with this, I'd imagine.... ;)

Not that anyone really cares but:

Originally, "Iko, Iko" was done by the Dixie Cups of "Chapel of Love" fame, in the 60's.

One of my previous employers was married to the guy who produced "Tainted Love" for Soft Cell. He gave me a copy of the record with a Swedish label.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TeddysHead would have a field day with this, I'd imagine.... ;)

Not that anyone really cares but:

Originally, "Iko, Iko" was done by the Dixie Cups of "Chapel of Love" fame, in the 60's.

One of my previous employers was married to the guy who produced "Tainted Love" for Soft Cell. He gave me a copy of the record with a Swedish label.

Another hit and run check in Jeff?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Rodriguez made headlines yesterday when he stormed out of his arbitration hearing and vented with Mike Francesa on WFAN Radio, but his case against MLB ended with little fanfare this afternoon.
Rodriguez stayed true to his word and was not in attendance at MLB headquarters today, but his lawyers were still present. While there was some thought that the hearing would end tomorrow, the New York Daily News [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]403666651172069376[/MEDIA]"]reports[/ame] that it has concluded a day early. The next step calls for independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to make a ruling on the 211-game suspension rendered by MLB. He has up to 25 days to decide.
Of course, A-Rod’s team is already looking past Horowitz’s ruling and toward a possible date with MLB in federal court. In other words, this fight is far from over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy crap was going to post that....why can't I give more thumbs up...has to be one of the top 5 remakes ever...
I still prefer the original and Im in the demographic that should like the Manson one more.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Red Sox players are getting an extra $307K for winning the World Series, while the runner-up St. Louis Cardinals are each getting a bonus of $228K for their playoff run.

Doesn't seem like that big of a difference between one and two

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why I think its a necessary evil. Always lock up starting pitching. But the Rangers are in a really good spot right now, imo.

Lock up the starters in their mid to late twenties. Scherzer will be 30 next season and looking for 6 years at least. He has been a durable arm, but the reason the D-Bax traded him in the first place was because they thought he would develop arm issues down the road.

The Tigers unloading of Fielder only helps them from 2018-2020. By that time, most of the nucleus of this team will be either gone or past their prime. They still have to pay Kinsler $62mm over the next 4 seasons. They save $9mm per year by unloading Fielder, and half of that is the cost of signing Joe Nathan for 2 seasons.

A team that is built to win now has to try to win NOW. The Rangers dd exactly that with this deal.

Indians fans should be loving this deal. CaptO?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals can win that division next year. Not that I want to hear from their fanbase...

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton;403134 3 said:
Royals can win that division next year. Not that I want to hear from their fanbase...

Anything's possible, but I still don't like their pitching, and Moustakas and Butler regressed. They will regret trading Wil Myers.

If the Indians can get themselves a starter like Garza, they can win that division. Even a guy like Colby Lewis if he is healthy. They may even do just that without them. They also have Asdrubal Cabrera to trade for help. They didn't bring Francona there and get Bourn and Swisher to finish 2nd every year. I think they will make a splash with a signing or trade.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will regret trading Wil Myers.
They should regret it right now. But just like every guy that gets stuck in the wrong relationship, they usually make a move to double down before things go south and I think thats where the Royals are. They are going to go all in next year and we'll see how far that goes

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should regret it right now. But just like every guy that gets stuck in the wrong relationship, they usually make a move to double down before things go south and I think thats where the Royals are. They are going to go all in next year and we'll see how far that goes

I agree. The Royals and Phillies have two of the worst GM's in baseball in Moore and Amaro. They just keep sinking their teams further and further away from contention while giving up top prospects in the process.

I said after the Royals got Shields that no matter what he did it would be an awful trade for the Royals because he will never lead them to the World Series, and likely not even the playoffs.