• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Actual Baseball News: Fielder for Kinsler Blockbuster

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure everybody has heard about the BIG trade by now between Detroit and Texas, but I wanted to break down the deal.

Texas gets Prince Fielder and $30mm cash from the Tigers in exchange for Ian Kinsler.

Pro's for Detroit:

1. they save the last 3 years and $72mm from Fielder's contract, when he could actually be a liability.
  2. they can move Cabrera to 1B, and even switch Miggy and V-Mart between 1B and DH, with Nick Castellanos getting a shot at 3B.
  3. Kinsler gives them athleticism in the top of the order with A-Jax
  4. maybe money saved helps them re-sign Max Scherzer
Con's for Detroit:

1. Kinsler hasn't been been nearly the player for the last 2 years that he was for his first 6 years
  2. the Tigers lineup suddenly doesn't look so intimidating
  3. Miggy had 54 IBB combined in 2010 and 2011 before Fielder, and 36 when Fielder joined the team the last 2 seasons. Expect Miggy to be pitched around more.
  4. the Tigers are effectively paying Kinsler $92mm over the next 4 years, when you factor the $62mm left on Kinsler's contract and the $30mm Detroit gave to Texas
Pro's for Texas:

1. They open up 2B for Jurickson Profar
  2. They add a potent middle of the order bat at a reasonable yearly cost. The Rangers will now owe Fielder $138mm over 7 years instead of $168mm.
Con's for Texas:

1. They will own Fielder and his never decreasing waist size for the next 7 years. If they do not save some of that $30mm received from Detroit for the back end of Fielder's contract, they will be paying him $24mm annually for his age 35-37 seasons.
In the end, I think this is a big loss for Detroit. Fielder is still playing at a high level, and Kinsler seems on the decline and now moves from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park.

V-Mart is signed for one more season and then his bat could be gone.

Even if the Tigers are able to extend Scherzer, that could be a risky deal.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would a playoff contender want to trade for fielder? he's quite possibly the worst post-season slugger in recent memory.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think tigers win this in the long run Do u really want prince in his late 30s:suds:

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure everybody has heard about the BIG trade by now between Detroit and Texas, but I wanted to break down the deal.

Texas gets Prince Fielder and $30mm cash from the Tigers in exchange for Ian Kinsler.

Pro's for Detroit:

1. they save the last 3 years and $72mm from Fielder's contract, when he could actually be a liability.
  2. they can move Cabrera to 1B, and even switch Miggy and V-Mart between 1B and DH, with Nick Castellanos getting a shot at 3B.
  3. Kinsler gives them athleticism in the top of the order with A-Jax
  4. maybe money saved helps them re-sign Max Scherzer
Con's for Detroit:

1. Kinsler hasn't been been nearly the player for the last 2 years that he was for his first 6 years
  2. the Tigers lineup suddenly doesn't look so intimidating
  3. Miggy had 54 IBB combined in 2010 and 2011 before Fielder, and 36 when Fielder joined the team the last 2 seasons. Expect Miggy to be pitched around more.
  4. the Tigers are effectively paying Kinsler $92mm over the next 4 years, when you factor the $62mm left on Kinsler's contract and the $30mm Detroit gave to Texas
Pro's for Texas:

1. They open up 2B for Jurickson Profar
  2. They add a potent middle of the order bat at a reasonable yearly cost. The Rangers will now owe Fielder $138mm over 7 years instead of $168mm.
Con's for Texas:

1. They will own Fielder and his never decreasing waist size for the next 7 years. If they do not save some of that $30mm received from Detroit for the back end of Fielder's contract, they will be paying him $24mm annually for his age 35-37 seasons.
In the end, I think this is a big loss for Detroit. Fielder is still playing at a high level, and Kinsler seems on the decline and now moves from a hitter's park to a pitcher's park.

V-Mart is signed for one more season and then his bat could be gone.

Even if the Tigers are able to extend Scherzer, that could be a risky deal.

fielder is still owed 168 million, tigers pay 30 million of that

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would a playoff contender want to trade for fielder? he's quite possibly the worst post-season slugger in recent memory.

look at Cano's numbers

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade seems a total wash to me. I just don't see any major advantage for either side to have made the gamble. Has anyone heard a possible justification for it? I can only imagine Harold Reynolds' opinion... :rollseyes:

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade seems a total wash to me. I just don't see any major advantage for either side to have made the gamble. Has anyone heard a possible justification for it? I can only imagine Harold Reynolds' opinion... :rollseyes:

the rangers did a favor much like the dodgers did for us?

next, a-rod to the mets? :laugh3:

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the rangers did a favor much like the dodgers did for us?

next, a-rod to the mets? :laugh3:

Nope but Cano's a possibility. Rumors that Jay-Z's been in talks with them

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

straight up, Texas got better

i don't see it as a wash

its what it allows Detroit to do that remains to be seen

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope but Cano's a possibility. Rumors that Jay-Z's been in talks with them

and that JayZ's presentation to the Mets was "over the top"

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at Cano's numbers

One thing being overlooked here. You need guys to carry you to get to the postseason at all. Fielder will help Texas do that, as that is much more of a hitter friendly park than Comerica, especially for homers, which will help Fielder succeed.

As for Kinsler, while he plugs the 2B hole in Detroit VERY well, I don't yet see how he and his bat will fit in that lineup. My guess is that his hitting and SB numbers will continue to trend down. But, the Kinsler/Iglesias D.P combo will be special.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first domino to fall from this trade, IMO, will be Mitch Moreland.

He gone.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
straight up, Texas got better

i don't see it as a wash

its what it allows Detroit to do that remains to be seen

texas may be better for the regular season

still a wash. fielder is not worth that money. if money wasn't involved, i'd agree and say texas got better.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano in postseason: .222/.267/.419 in 217 PA
Fielder: .194/.287/.333 in 164 PA

Small sample size anyway.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just what everyone wants. More Mariano!!!

Mariano Rivera got quite the sendoff from Major League Baseball during his retirement tour, and New Era has capped off Mo's retirement season pretty nicely.
The baseball cap company presented the first of 42 limited-edition 59FIFTY Yankees caps to Mr. Sandman himself and is offloading the remaining 41 caps to fans. The hat is white with navy blue pinstripes and has a Yankees logo and Mariano Rivera patch on the front.
The side of the cap features images of the five World Series rings Rivera won during his 18-year career with the Yankees. The box the hat comes in is pretty cool, too.
Check it out in the photo below.

New Era Cap @NewEraCap
Follow
Peep the limited-edition Mariano Rivera 59FIFTY. Only 42 exist & we're giving you the chance to win one later today.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just what everyone wants. More Mariano!!!

Mariano Rivera got quite the sendoff from Major League Baseball during his retirement tour, and New Era has capped off Mo's retirement season pretty nicely.
The baseball cap company presented the first of 42 limited-edition 59FIFTY Yankees caps to Mr. Sandman himself and is offloading the remaining 41 caps to fans. The hat is white with navy blue pinstripes and has a Yankees logo and Mariano Rivera patch on the front.
The side of the cap features images of the five World Series rings Rivera won during his 18-year career with the Yankees. The box the hat comes in is pretty cool, too.
Check it out in the photo below.

New Era Cap @NewEraCap
Follow
Peep the limited-edition Mariano Rivera 59FIFTY. Only 42 exist & we're giving you the chance to win one later today.

hammer will buy one