• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Above Reproach

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you stop rooting for the team when you didn't like the coach? How exactly did you show that you were NOT compromising your own integrity if your team was successful yet your coach was disliked? Because your team has a bunch of dudes that had some cloudy piss yet you still root for them relentlessly...where is your moral compass then? Your integrity is ok with cheering for multiple players that cheat to win?

I frankly don't care about the cloudy piss but you are the one championing the purest of integrity. I am curious as to how exactly you aren't compromising your own integrity, as you said so eloquently in your post, by rooting for a team with proven cheaters yet you are morally outraged with Harbs talking shit or throwing a tantrum on the sideline, both not against the rules.

If you don't care, then it doesn't matter. But I'll explain anyway.

1) Of course I didn't give up on my teams just because I didn't like their personnel decisions. I would have thought a 9ers fan would have understood what it was like rooting for a team that had a coach you couldn't stand.

2) 17 teams have had players suspended in 2013 for PED, and 8 more in 2012. 25 of 32 teams have had their names attached to it. Like baseball, the increase in number of people caught does not show an increase in use, but in increase in the desire to catch them.

I don't really have a problem with PEDs, and I really don't think the use of them is all that rare. I wish people wouldn't use them, but I'm not overly offended when someone does.

3) I had second and third thoughts about that "integrity" line, but couldn't think of another word. I still can't, but I will agree the word is too strong for the point I was trying to make. I was trying to point out that winning doesn't always make people like someone. So, evidently, I failed to get that point across.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying if you were a losing team, and he took the Seahawks to the NFC Championship game his first year and the SB the next year, you'd still be complaining about the guy's comments? You can say that honestly?

Yes, I can. Just like I could say the same thing about Rex Ryan a couple years ago, despite going to back to back AFC Championship Games. My opinion of what Harbaugh said, actually has nothing to do with the identity of the man who said it.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't care, then it doesn't matter. But I'll explain anyway.

1) Of course I didn't give up on my teams just because I didn't like their personnel decisions. I would have thought a 9ers fan would have understood what it was like rooting for a team that had a coach you couldn't stand.

2) 17 teams have had players suspended in 2013 for PED, and 8 more in 2012. 25 of 32 teams have had their names attached to it. Like baseball, the increase in number of people caught does not show an increase in use, but in increase in the desire to catch them.

I don't really have a problem with PEDs, and I really don't think the use of them is all that rare. I wish people wouldn't use them, but I'm not overly offended when someone does.

3) I had second and third thoughts about that "integrity" line, but couldn't think of another word. I still can't, but I will agree the word is too strong for the point I was trying to make. I was trying to point out that winning doesn't always make people like someone. So, evidently, I failed to get that point across.

Fair enough. The statement "compromising your integrity" is where your stance made no sense, because to a Niner fan, you are bitching about the antics of a coach (quirky, incites opponents, tantrums....all not breaking rules) yet would be ok with players actually breaking rules. I understand that integrity would be a hang up word and I would take you at your word that you didn't mean it with the intensity that the word carries.

But I will ask you this. Please give me an example of a coach you truly disliked, like Harbaugh disliked, that coached one of your teams and got them to start winning. I'm guessing there isn't one. My point is that he is only annoying to you because he doesn't coach your team. The rest of us Niner fans see his behavior, get a good laugh out of them, and move along and focus on football. You can tell some of his comments are calculated, much like Phil Jackson, so it adds a sense of rivalry and intensity to games, which is also fun.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I will ask you this. Please give me an example of a coach you truly disliked, like Harbaugh disliked, that coached one of your teams and got them to start winning. I'm guessing there isn't one. My point is that he is only annoying to you because he doesn't coach your team. The rest of us Niner fans see his behavior, get a good laugh out of them, and move along and focus on football. You can tell some of his comments are calculated, much like Phil Jackson, so it adds a sense of rivalry and intensity to games, which is also fun.

I would love to, except that there really isn't an instance where that happened. Honestly, it's because the teams I have always been a fan of have not always been able to make those turnarounds.

I mean:

Cougars have been on steady decline since Mike Price. I can honestly say that my issues with Leach have plenty to do with is attitude, but he's not exactly a hot media interview, and he seems to not even want to be there in any of the interviews I have him in. But as of yet, he's taken a step back and so it's not like he's gonna play for but lose the National Title game this year.
Seahawks went from bad to mediocre with Erickson, so not really the same thing.
Wakamatsu took a 100 loss team to 85 wins his first year, but obviously didn't take them to the playoffs.
Sonics are gone, but their only Championship was before I was born.

So, I can honestly say this is all theory, but I can point to the fact that as much as I love the Cougars, I couldn't stand Ryan Leaf. Despite all his success at WSU his Jr. year, I was glad he left a year early.

As for annoying, I can honestly say I thought he was annoying when playing in Chicago, he was annoying coaching at Stanford and annoying now. It isn't something that has happened the last couple years, just because he is the coach of the Niners (I actually really like the niners, surprisingly enough). This is something that has been around for 2+ decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A list of teams whose players were suspended for failing the drug policy since 1998:

Washington Redskins 8
Seattle Seahawks 7
Baltimore Ravens 6
Minnesota Vikings 6
St Louis Rams 5
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5
Chicago Bears 3
Cleveland Browns 3
Indianapolis Colts 3
New Orleans Saints 3
New York Giants 3
Oakland Raiders 3
Denver Broncos 2
Detroit Lions 2
Houston Texans 2
Jacksonville Jaguars 2
New England Patriots 2
New York Jets 2
Tennessee Titans 2
Arizona Cardinals 1
Atlanta Falcons 1
Buffalo Bills 1
Cincinnati Bengals 1
Kansas City Chiefs 1
San Diego Chargers 1
San Francisco 49ers 1

List of teams without a suspension
Carolina Panthers
Dallas Cowboys
Green Bay Packers
Miami Dolphins
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to, except that there really isn't an instance where that happened. Honestly, it's because the teams I have always been a fan of have not always been able to make those turnarounds.

I mean:

Cougars have been on steady decline since Mike Price. I can honestly say that my issues with Leach have plenty to do with is attitude, but he's not exactly a hot media interview, and he seems to not even want to be there in any of the interviews I have him in. But as of yet, he's taken a step back and so it's not like he's gonna play for but lose the National Title game this year.
Seahawks went from bad to mediocre with Erickson, so not really the same thing.
Wakamatsu took a 100 loss team to 85 wins his first year, but obviously didn't take them to the playoffs.
Sonics are gone, but their only Championship was before I was born.

So, I can honestly say this is all theory, but I can point to the fact that as much as I love the Cougars, I couldn't stand Ryan Leaf. Despite all his success at WSU his Jr. year, I was glad he left a year early.

As for annoying, I can honestly say I thought he was annoying when playing in Chicago, he was annoying coaching at Stanford and annoying now. It isn't something that has happened the last couple years, just because he is the coach of the Niners (I actually really like the niners, surprisingly enough). This is something that has been around for 2+ decades.

Fair enough assessment. Can I ask why you didn't like Leaf? Totally off topic, just curious as a Coug fan why you wouldn't like arguably the best QB to come out of WSU. Did he have the same level of immaturity he showed in the NFL? Was it obvious to fans who took notice his behavioral issues?

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough assessment. Can I ask why you didn't like Leaf? Totally off topic, just curious as a Coug fan why you wouldn't like arguably the best QB to come out of WSU. Did he have the same level of immaturity he showed in the NFL? Was it obvious to fans who took notice his behavioral issues?

Leaf thought he was the greatest football player of all time and at WSU, he was. However, in the real world outside of Pullman, WA, he was an immature spoiled jerk and it showed. I don't think SD did enough to find out about his character before the draft and didn't invest any time in helping him off the field after drafting him and he self destructed for all to see, which was sad really. One of the main reasons Eli Manning didn't want to be a Charger was because Peyton talked to Leaf and found out the organization didn't help him succeed or even not fail.

Drew Bledsoe was the best QB to come out of WSU, by the way. Top 5 Quarterbacks in WSU History - BeyondU Sports

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as PC and JS are together Harbaugh and Baalke (is that correct? ) will play second fiddle.

:laugh3:

So when is that going to start? The second fiddle thing has been exclusively owned by PC & JS the past couple of years.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Leaf was a world class prick at WSU. Entitled doesn't even begin to describe what he seemed to feel, and the way he acted you'd think that he felt he was God's gift to all living things. I originally thought it was just immaturity, but it's become pretty evident that this is just how he really is. His implosion in San Diego was only surprising in the fact that it seemed that San Diego themselves didn't seem to care what happened with him, and actually appeared to set him up to fail.

2) I wouldn't say that Leaf is a top 5 QB in WSU histoy. He had one of the best individual seasons, but he also had the Cougars version of the Fab 5 WR (Kevin McKenzie, Chris Jackson, Shawn Tims, Shawn McWashington and Nian Taylor) while also having Michael Black at RB. That 1997 team was stacked with offensive talent. The fact that 4 of the 5 WRs and Black were all leaving is the reason Leaf left, if he'd stayed I'm sure he would have been left more vulnerable in 1998. Leaving early is one of the few decisions he made in his life that actually seems to be the correct one.

My top 10 WSU QBs:

1. Drew Bledsoe
2. Jack Thompson
3. Jason Gesser
4. Alex Brink
5. Tim Rosenbach
6. Mark Rypien
7. Jeff Tuel
8. Ryan Leaf
9. Matt Kegel
10. Chad Davis

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners really should not be complaining about PED's etc when cooking the books to go to the SB like they did and being slapped for 10 years because of it.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners really should not be complaining about PED's etc when cooking the books to go to the SB like they did and being slapped for 10 years because of it.

Can you kindly point to a rule they broke? Pre-salary cap, they were willing to pay top dollar for top talent. What exactly is the correlation to being a first class organization vs PED use other then justification you feel you need to minimize what your players did?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Leaf was a world class prick at WSU. Entitled doesn't even begin to describe what he seemed to feel, and the way he acted you'd think that he felt he was God's gift to all living things. I originally thought it was just immaturity, but it's become pretty evident that this is just how he really is. His implosion in San Diego was only surprising in the fact that it seemed that San Diego themselves didn't seem to care what happened with him, and actually appeared to set him up to fail.

2) I wouldn't say that Leaf is a top 5 QB in WSU histoy. He had one of the best individual seasons, but he also had the Cougars version of the Fab 5 WR (Kevin McKenzie, Chris Jackson, Shawn Tims, Shawn McWashington and Nian Taylor) while also having Michael Black at RB. That 1997 team was stacked with offensive talent. The fact that 4 of the 5 WRs and Black were all leaving is the reason Leaf left, if he'd stayed I'm sure he would have been left more vulnerable in 1998. Leaving early is one of the few decisions he made in his life that actually seems to be the correct one.

My top 10 WSU QBs:

1. Drew Bledsoe
2. Jack Thompson
3. Jason Gesser
4. Alex Brink
5. Tim Rosenbach
6. Mark Rypien
7. Jeff Tuel
8. Ryan Leaf
9. Matt Kegel
10. Chad Davis

I apologize for jumping the gun there...totally forgot about Bledsoe!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

So when is that going to start? The second fiddle thing has been exclusively owned by PC & JS the past couple of years.
It started late last year.
You missed the game?

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you kindly point to a rule they broke? Pre-salary cap, they were willing to pay top dollar for top talent. What exactly is the correlation to being a first class organization vs PED use other then justification you feel you need to minimize what your players did?

Niners lost picks and were fined it was a slap on the writ imo,the league does not like showing dirty laundry.

"The National Football League finally handed out the penalties stemming from its investigation of the San Francisco 49ers salary-cap situation. San Francisco was docked a fifth-round pick in the 2001 draft and a third-rounder in 2002. The 49ers were also fined $300,000 for violating the bylaws of the NFL salary-cap system."

CNNSI.com - NFL Football - SI's King: 49ers fined for salary cap violations - Friday December 01, 2000 06:38 PM

There was likely more.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes, I can. Just like I could say the same thing about Rex Ryan a couple years ago, despite going to back to back AFC Championship Games. My opinion of what Harbaugh said, actually has nothing to do with the identity of the man who said it.

Well if you hate Rex Ryan too, I can see how you wouldn't like Harbaugh. I commend your consistency in the matter. Nevertheless, I think 95% of the non-football related criticism head coaches get is because of jealousy. I think the same thing could be said of Lebron James. People were just looking for a reason to hate the guy IMO.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It started late last year.
You missed the game?

ohh the game where you lost to the Falcons and then we beat the falcons the next week? or are you talking about a regular season game? Last time I checked our FO has got us to the NFC champ game and the super bowl the last two years. Where were the Hawks?

I am not stupid enough to think the Hawks are not a good team. they are a great team and playing it that stadium is ridiculously hard. A victory is going to be hard this week for sure.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon Smith arrested for second time for DUI. So talented, yet can't seem to say out of trouble off the field.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: