• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Above Reproach

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey dkmightyhammer,
I was going to go back to your post about coming to Seattle and watching the Seahawks. Did that happen and if so did you enjoy your stay?

Oh hell yeah! We came last weekend and watched that beat down on the Niners. What an incredible experience, it was insane how Seattle embraces the Hawks on game day. We spent saturday doing the tourist things like the Space Needle, Columbia Tower, the piers and Pike Market and then Sunday we watched the early games in the hotel and then went downtown. Ended up at a place called Double Header (I think) and that place was rockin'. They had a Red Bull dj pumping tunes out the back of a custom made dj truck on one side of the parking lot and a live band on the other side ( guy named Ayron Jones who could play Hendrix as good as Hendrix), and for the cherry on top Blue Thunder came in and wailed away for a bit. That was fun.

The game was incredibly fun. Its Saturday now and I still can't speak right. What a blast. Me and my son were so stoked when Alexander raised the flag. What a moment for us. The 9er fans around us sure were quiet all night. LOL. Already starting to plan a return trip. I love Seattle. Even the Bud Light had Seahawks on it.

This is going to be a special season I think.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've stated before, he opened himself up to scrutiny when he made that statement. Cheating or wrecking your car after drinking all night are both reproachable acts.

Also both show that you just can't stop individuals from being stupid, no matter how much you educate and preach.
I know you must get tired of all this non football talk, I know we do. Lets get back to football.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest about something, though... pretty much every team is going to give the benefit of the doubt to a superstar way before they give it to a replaceable backup. It's standard practice at this point. Even college teams do it and they don't have big salaries to worry about. The more talent you have, the more leeway you're gonna get.

The only times you'll see most teams "punish" a superstar player (when it's still within their control to do so, anyway) is when they're playing a team they know they can beat without that player or when the player does something so heinous that the PR hit they know they'd take for letting him play would be enough to keep it from happening. As much as we'd like to think that our teams would do the right thing, they're just as likely to do with any of their superstar players who get into trouble what San Francisco is doing with Smith. They'll punish the players, but they'll do it in a way that effects their ability to win the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest about something, though... pretty much every team is going to give the benefit of the doubt to a superstar way before they give it to a replaceable backup. It's standard practice at this point. Even college teams do it and they don't have big salaries to worry about. The more talent you have, the more leeway you're gonna get.

The only times you'll see most teams "punish" a superstar player (when it's still within their control to do so, anyway) is when they're playing a team they know they can beat without that player or when the player does something so heinous that the PR hit they know they'd take for letting him play would be enough to keep it from happening. As much as we'd like to think that our teams would do the right thing, they're just as likely to do with any of their superstar players who get into trouble what San Francisco is doing with Smith.

Fair enough, however other coaches don't spout off saying their players are "above reproach" ethically. That is where Harbaugh steps in it as far as I'm concerned.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only times you'll see most teams "punish" a superstar player (when it's still within their control to do so, anyway) is when they're playing a team they know they can beat without that player or when the player does something so heinous that the PR hit they know they'd take for letting him play would be enough to keep it from happening. As much as we'd like to think that our teams would do the right thing, they're just as likely to do with any of their superstar players who get into trouble what San Francisco is doing with Smith.

Sure every team wants their important players playing, doesn't mean that they are not working overtime to get the player straighten out. Cowboys have gone so far as hire a babysitter. No NFL team just turns a blind eye to problems with important players, in fact it's just the opposite IMO. They just don't want the team to suffer for it. That should be understandable to all of us.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, however other coaches don't spout off saying their players are "above reproach" ethically. That is where Harbaugh steps in it as far as I'm concerned.

And he's gonna have to live with that quote for as long as he's the coach of the 49ers any time his players get in any sort of trouble. It's the downside to opening your mouth and talking about things you don't really have much control over until after they've happened.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure every team wants their important players playing, doesn't mean that they are not working overtime to get the player straighten out. Cowboys have gone so far as hire a babysitter. No NFL team just turns a blind eye to problems with important players, in fact it's just the opposite IMO. They just don't want the team to suffer for it. That should be understandable to all of us.

I'm sure that every team is working hard behind the scenes to put these players on the right path and that they really do have those players' best interests at heart in most cases. The problem is that it's hard to convince people outside of the organization that you're doing that when the best interests of the team on the field seem to come first in nearly every instance. Outwardly, they almost always appear to be more worried about the potential on-field consequences of missing that player than the off-field lessons that player needs to learn. It is especially egregious when it's a repeat offender.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he's gonna have to live with that quote for as long as he's the coach of the 49ers any time his players get in any sort of trouble. It's the downside to opening your mouth and talking about things you don't really have much control over until after they've happened.

From now until forever.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh hell yeah! We came last weekend and watched that beat down on the Niners. What an incredible experience, it was insane how Seattle embraces the Hawks on game day. We spent saturday doing the tourist things like the Space Needle, Columbia Tower, the piers and Pike Market and then Sunday we watched the early games in the hotel and then went downtown. Ended up at a place called Double Header (I think) and that place was rockin'. They had a Red Bull dj pumping tunes out the back of a custom made dj truck on one side of the parking lot and a live band on the other side ( guy named Ayron Jones who could play Hendrix as good as Hendrix), and for the cherry on top Blue Thunder came in and wailed away for a bit. That was fun.

The game was incredibly fun. Its Saturday now and I still can't speak right. What a blast. Me and my son were so stoked when Alexander raised the flag. What a moment for us. The 9er fans around us sure were quiet all night. LOL. Already starting to plan a return trip. I love Seattle. Even the Bud Light had Seahawks on it.

This is going to be a special season I think.

Good to hear you enjoyed. Wished I could of shared a cool one with you. Where were you sitting at the Clink?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember on ESPN when a poster or two took a mock.com post seriously. Funny stuff.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember on ESPN when a poster or two took a mock.com post seriously. Funny stuff.

Its not quite as good, now (or maybe just not quite as fresh), but the first time I read the NFL QB's on Facebook I laughed so hard I cried, multiple times.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear you enjoyed. Wished I could of shared a cool one with you. Where were you sitting at the Clink?

We were in 329. Pretty high but still could see everything great. I would have gladly sat on the roof to be honest. Anywhere in the building would have been fine with me for my first NFL game live and in person.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were in 329. Pretty high but still could see everything great. I would have gladly sat on the roof to be honest. Anywhere in the building would have been fine with me for my first NFL game live and in person.

Agree. Hope you get another chance to see a game.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've stated before, he opened himself up to scrutiny when he made that statement. Cheating or wrecking your car after drinking all night are both reproachable acts.

I agree and knew it the moment he said it that those words would come back to haunt him.
He is somewhat bright on the football side but a true dunce when he opens his mouth.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is only "above reproach" when it doesn't involve a tough opponent and losing a star player. This same exact incident happened last November with a 9er player Macellus Dobbs who is a back-up LB. He wasn't allowed by Harbaugh to travel with the team that Sunday. But now that its sack-machine Aldon Smith suddenly Harbaugh says "“I’m not going into the specifics and the dissecting of what the policies are,” Harbaugh said. “If you want to question those, so be it.”

What a tool bag that guy is. Hypocrite doesn't even begin to describe that idiot.

Jim Harbaugh: 2005 DUI ?made me a better counselor,? and Aldon Smith provides a serious test*case | Audibles - SI.com

Well I guess that PC is in the same boat since he has yet to suspend Marshawn Lynch for his 2nd DUI???

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess that PC is in the same boat since he has yet to suspend Marshawn Lynch for his 2nd DUI???

However he never claimed that his team would be beyond reproach. No team wants the team to suffer because a player did something stupid. The idea that some coach feels that he so "God like" that a player on his team would never do something stupid is just so....well stupid. It really makes no difference what the problem is, at the end it falls on the individuals players and no amount of education or preaching can change that. To have someone claim otherwise invites the storm that is sure to follow.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When did Carroll suspend another player in the same situation as Lynch? When did Carroll call out other teams and claim that his keeps their nose clean? If you make bold statements like that to the media, I would think that you would make bold statements to your players when they fuck up.

They are both in boats as far as not suspending a player. But Harbaugh is in his own boat, full of foot-in-mouth and double standards.

Last edited by a moderator: