• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look back at the interest in the 49ers assistant coaches

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Fangio's name came up last year, or did it only come up in rumor mills without any actual interest and/or job offers?

If the 49ers are somewhere around their 2nd and 4th rankings in defense again this year and that defense carries them deep into the playoffs again... I think he might be the first one gone. (knock on wood)

Although I'd hate to see him leave, I'd be sort of OK with it after a Super Bowl win... you know? At least then there would be a really good reason for another team to hire him... I don't like it, but I'm OK with Super Bowl Champion 49ers losing coaches.

Basically the same talent that Manusky had for all those years, just added Aldon, Rogers, and Whitner right? Oh.. and Bowman... and he got a lot more out of them as a unit.

I'm not sure how the rest of the NFL views it, if they just think anyone could do that with such high levels of talent on Defense, or if they feel that Fangio had a big hand in making them a top unit when Manusky couldn't deliver with mostly the same players... at the very least, the same two best players in Willis and Justin Smith

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think we'll lose a guy or two on staff after this year but I think smart coaches which includes Harbaugh develops coaching talent and are able to bring in outside talent as well to keep things moving without a hitch.

Just look at the Patriots and how they never lost a step on offense going through 3 offensive coordinators.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll lose a guy or two on staff after this year but I think smart coaches which includes Harbaugh develops coaching talent and are able to bring in outside talent as well to keep things moving without a hitch.

Just look at the Patriots and how they never lost a step on offense going through 3 offensive coordinators.

It helps to have an established HOF QB when teams do that, I have to think they were able to keep it going because of Brady. Just like how the 49ers kept it rolling with Steve Young when they went though Holmgren, Shannahan, Trestman, Mooch/Mornhinweg. Good/Great coaching helped no doubt, but the quality of the QB certainly played a part too.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It helps to have an established HOF QB when teams do that, I have to think they were able to keep it going because of Brady. Just like how the 49ers kept it rolling with Steve Young when they went though Holmgren, Shannahan, Trestman, Mooch/Mornhinweg. Good/Great coaching helped no doubt, but the quality of the QB certainly played a part too.

True that Brady is a large reason for their success but that doesn't change the fact switching up offensive coordinators didn't cause him or the offense to take a "step back" for a season and have a completely smooth transition.

Which is what I think Harbaugh is trying to build with his staff in that if Roman or Fangio go elsewhere it's the next man up on the staff and you keep the ball rollling.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly! I would add that it was also helpful having the one of most innovative offensive schemes in the history of the NFL. There wasn't a lot to change because it wasn't broken.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that Brady is a large reason for their success but that doesn't change the fact switching up offensive coordinators didn't cause him or the offense to take a "step back" for a season and have a completely smooth transition.

Which is what I think Harbaugh is trying to build with his staff in that if Roman or Fangio go elsewhere it's the next man up on the staff and you keep the ball rollling.

I do agree with you, I think the 49ers are building that type of coaching staff under Harbaugh where the next man up can keep it going. I'd feel pretty good about Donatell taking over if the team lost Fangio, and maybe Geep Chryst could step in as O.C. if they lost Roman.

According to his Wikipedia he was the Chargers OC/QB Coach in 99 and 00, haha... with Harbaugh and Leaf as his QBs, which is kinda weird that he coached Harbaugh. Also hard to tell if Geep was the problem with the Chargers offense then, or if it was trying to go with a 37 year old Harbaugh as QB and Bustzilla Leaf. Harbaugh was a pretty stinky QB, well below the likes of Young, Marino, Aikman, Elway and Favre

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who knows, though? Maybe the Patriots would have three-peated this year if they had continuity in offensive coordinators? You don't need to totally implode to suffer from coaching turnaround. Having said that, all you can do is try to keep them, have the best personnel you can (players and surrounding coaches), have a system in place, do great research on replacements, develop those under the potential escapees, and pull your weight.