• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who screwed up what in the LMA meetings doesn't really matter. Even if they aced it, why would LMA choose the Lakers over the Spurs? He already lives in LA, so you can't sell him on the location. The Spurs are reloaded AND have the cap space to sign him. He steps right in and makes a perennial contender even better, and eventually takes the reigns from Duncan. Lakers have some strong unproven prospects, a legend at the end of his career, cap space, and are coming off their two worst seasons ever. It's a very easy choice.

My question with all of this is why even look elsewhere? Why take two meetings with the Lakers? The money is even better in the Spurs situation (tax advantages). If he doesn't pick the Spurs, something is rotten in the state of Denmark...

He probably took the 2nd meeting for two reasons: 1) He really had seriously considered the Lakers beforehand and couldn't believe they blew it that badly so he's giving a mulligan just to make sure and 2) Goodwill between the agency and the team for future dealings.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tobias Harris gone!!l

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are considering Jason Smith and Amare, I'd prefer Smith since he's younger.

He's a big body, a decent passer and rebounder and occasional scorer. He should be relatively cheap, 2 years and 5-6 million should be enough to sign him. And good for 25mpg, allowing Upshaw enough PT to develop as a backup.

Last edited:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are considering Jason Smith and Amare, I'd prefer Smith since he's younger.

He's a big body, a decent passer and rebounder and occasional scorer. He should be relatively cheap, 2 years and 5-6 million should be enough to sign him. And good for 25mpg, allowing Upshaw enough PT to develop as a backup.

He's also a good FT shooter, made 83% last season and 78.2% for his career.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we re-sign Hill....Smith can play PF and C. He'd be a solid backup imo if we decide to bring back Hill to start.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we re-sign Hill....Smith can play PF and C. He'd be a solid backup imo if we decide to bring back Hill to start.

i'm with you here. Amare simply ain't doin' it for me because of his age, though he'd probably be on the cheap if we DID sign him...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article you cut and pasted an excerpt is from ESPN where they highlighted how behind the Lakers are. Yes, its more than just Rudy and son. But its 6 people some of whom aren't even on site. It pails in comparison to other teams. You're undervaluing the role analytics plays not just with on court stuff but also decision making with roster building. Having a shitty roster doesn't devalue the empirical data. All teams have access to loads of raw data that details not only their own team but others as well. From that, its up to them to create various models and metrics to show strength and weaknesses of their own team, other teams, and also point out strength and weaknesses of individual players. Armed with that you can do everything from game planning, tailor specific lineups, to finding free agents that could fit what you're trying to do. It's not an end all be all, but its a tool that goes hand in hand with making a better basketball team. To use a rough analogy, its the computer entering the workspace. Sure, you can still do work the old way, but the new way came along to give you greater perspective, open up more possibilities, and make things more efficient. The Lakers are one of the very few teams that have been late to even begin this. There's no good reason for them to be behind. They were and to some degree just voluntarily denying themselves advantages and opportunities. It's not like they have to pinch pennies or the doors will close. The Aldridge stuff should be a good wake up call. You're a basketball team and its time to start doing everything in your power to sell basketball. Analytics is a big part of that now. It's time to catch up.

Back to free agents, yeah, in a vacuum, you can look at and find reasons for each individual situation. But this isn't the case. This happened over the course of years, all similar stories (not verbatim, but similar) all with the same outcome. Whiff. That can't be written off when landing at least one of those guys was a central part of the post Howard/Nash/Kobe/Pau team. I'm not overly emotional about it either. It's not like its ruined my day and I'm unproductive. But I think its silly for fans, many of whom were all about the plan and the A tier free agents before, to just shrug off the failure and act like none of that was ever really all that important to begin with. It's revisionist.

I agree that the Lakers were slow to the analytics game and that analytics are useful. I know full well from where I cut and paste the excerpt. The problem I see with the article, though, is you have Lakers people saying they are using the analytics more and more, and then you have people not affiliated with the Lakers claiming otherwise. We can't claim to know at what level they are using them. Most likely not as much as some teams, but certainly they are using to some extent.

Also, the article was written by Baxter Holmes. If you read his articles and follow his tweets, it's clear he has a general negative bias regarding the Lakers. Maybe he's still bitter about ESPN moving him to Los Angeles after having been covering the Celtics. He tries tons stir up controversy. He's the one who retweeted the Larry Nance Jr. tweet about Kobe.

I still contend that the reason Aldridge will not sign with the Lakers has more to do with the lacking roster than a lack of analytics presented at the first meeting. The Spurs roster is much more appealing to a veteran player looking to contend immediately. Individual situations are relevant. We've whiffed on a handful of free agents (Howard, Gasol, Carmelo, Aldridge, and Jordan). That's really it as far as the big names.

The plan progresses though. Hopefully they've drafted well and the young core will develop together. Rebuilds take time. They were hoping to accelerate the process but have been unsuccessful.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably took the 2nd meeting for two reasons: 1) He really had seriously considered the Lakers beforehand and couldn't believe they blew it that badly so he's giving a mulligan just to make sure and 2) Goodwill between the agency and the team for future dealings.

I think it's more the 2nd reason. The Lakers weren't happy about the leaks.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the Lakers were slow to the analytics game and that analytics are useful. I know full well from where I cut and paste the excerpt. The problem I see with the article, though, is you have Lakers people saying they are using the analytics more and more, and then you have people not affiliated with the Lakers claiming otherwise. We can't claim to know at what level they are using them. Most likely not as much as some teams, but certainly they are using to some extent.

Also, the article was written by Baxter Holmes. If you read his articles and follow his tweets, it's clear he has a general negative bias regarding the Lakers. Maybe he's still bitter about ESPN moving him to Los Angeles after having been covering the Celtics. He tries tons stir up controversy. He's the one who retweeted the Larry Nance Jr. tweet about Kobe.

I still contend that the reason Aldridge will not sign with the Lakers has more to do with the lacking roster than a lack of analytics presented at the first meeting. The Spurs roster is much more appealing to a veteran player looking to contend immediately. Individual situations are relevant. We've whiffed on a handful of free agents (Howard, Gasol, Carmelo, Aldridge, and Jordan). That's really it as far as the big names.

The plan progresses though. Hopefully they've drafted well and the young core will develop together. Rebuilds take time. They were hoping to accelerate the process but have been unsuccessful.

The analytics thing is overblown, imo. The Lakers had no analytics to present to Aldridge because the guys they are most depending on have virtually zero experience in the NBA. They have half a season of Clarkson and about 12 minutes of Randle.

The re-build has always had 2 parts to it, drafting well and trying to land FA's. Part 2, relies heavily on part 1. Players, especially those like Aldridge who is about to turn 30, are looking to win now. The Lakers are about winning in the future.

Based on potential and what the "experts" are saying, the Lakers have gotten the draft part right with Randle, Clarkson and Russell. Also, some are saying they may have found another Clarkson type "steal" in Anthony Brown and Upshaw appears to have the talent to be Whiteside 2.0. The problem is, none of that speaks to winning now.

I expect that if the Lakers young guys play well this season, then going into the next FA and beyond, they should find more players willing to join the team.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The analytics thing is overblown, imo. The Lakers had no analytics to present to Aldridge because the guys they are most depending on have virtually zero experience in the NBA. They have half a season of Clarkson and about 12 minutes of Randle.

The re-build has always had 2 parts to it, drafting well and trying to land FA's. Part 2, relies heavily on part 1. Players, especially those like Aldridge who is about to turn 30, are looking to win now. The Lakers are about winning in the future.

Based on potential and what the "experts" are saying, the Lakers have gotten the draft part right with Randle, Clarkson and Russell. Also, some are saying they may have found another Clarkson type "steal" in Anthony Brown and Upshaw appears to have the talent to be Whiteside 2.0. The problem is, none of that speaks to winning now.

I expect that if the Lakers young guys play well this season, then going into the next FA and beyond, they should find more players willing to join the team.

That's for sure. We need the youth to play well and make the roster look more attractive to join. Heck, we may already have our star players.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. This business of searching for stars elsewhere is a bit over-blown. Stars start somewhere. Granted they can be integral components of a rebuild process if they fit, aren't injury-prone, and don't wipe out your finances but I am one proponent of growing your own stars as well. Cases in point: Randle, Clarkson, Upshaw, and Russell all have the potential to be our star players.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one worth a damn left in free agency. Lakers fucked themselves not taking Okafor then getting Rondo on a short deal

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK Hangman, you might be right. We shall see how much effing they did to themselves going forward.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another article on who is to blame for the Lakers which find ridiculous in the sense that the Lakers really do need to get current in many areas and continue to build they talent they have. They really should not be so concerned about the FA market as much as the aforementioned. Dr Buss built the club based on his approach and masterful management of talent. His kids are not as good as he was but they can decide to get their heads out of their asses and build something they want to be successful. For what its worth, this article is decent in identifying what that might be.

Lakers miss bad on Aldridge, fall of a once-mighty franchise continues - CBSSports.com

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one worth a damn left in free agency. Lakers fucked themselves not taking Okafor then getting Rondo on a short deal
This may be my worst fear, but I will wait and see. I am angered out lol