• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're beginning to sound like a broken record. Yes, you have an enormous boner for Okafor, we get it! We also know by now how terrible the organisation is for drafting Russell instead and Mitch, Jim, Jeanie and even the towel bow need to be shot at dawn for taking this terrible team down a dark road.

:L

Sixers will trade Okafor to LA but any trade package needs to include Jeannie Buss

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMarcus Aldrige didn't like the Lakers basketball presentation in which some of that was given by Kobe. RETIRE ALREADY!!!!! This why I thought they should have built this team around Jahlil Okafor and got a decent guard in free agency ala Goran Dragic. The problem is the Buss' and Mitch Kupchak have their noses stuck so far up Kobe Bryant's ass they can't focus on what really needs to happen in this organization and it's sad!!!!!

I hate to break it to ya, Dragic WAS NOT coming to LA either!

I will agree hough, they need to leave Kobe out of things like this.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if it's a lost season and they suck really bad again, they could end holding onto their first rounder (top-3 protected) :lol:
I like most fans are just tired of losing. I dont think we will be bad enough to keep that top three protected though. I just kept heading how the Lakers drafted Russell because we have a free agent big sowed up. I don't think this management has a clue in the current level playing field of free agency where small markets can now offer the same max contracts as larger markets.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like most fans are just tired of losing. I dont think we will be bad enough to keep that top three protected though. I just kept heading how the Lakers drafted Russell because we have a free agent big sowed up. I don't think this management has a clue in the current level playing field of free agency where small markets can now offer the same max contracts as larger markets.

And what if the Lakers picked him because they thought he was the best player in the draft?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what if the Lakers picked him because they thought he was the best player in the draft?
God I hope your right!! And I will happily admit I was wrong. My boner will go down for Okafor lol

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can handle a few losing seasons considering all the successful ones I've enjoyed. They're getting it turned around. I've always been a very patient person.

The front office never claimed that they drafted Russell because they had a free agent big locked up. They may have felt like they had a great chance to get one, but I think they drafted Russell because they think he'll be the better player long term. I don't think they're choice had anything to do with free agency.

Regarding Aldridge, he's 30 years old. He wants to win now. His window is getting smaller. If he's turning down $24mil, he's turning it down for an immediate chance at contending. The Spurs can offer him that. The Lakers can't. The Lakers pitch makes more sense to free agents such as Monroe or Harris. Young players that can grow with the the Lakers youth.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can handle a few losing seasons considering all the successful ones I've enjoyed. They're getting it turned around. I've always been a very patient person.

The front office never claimed that they drafted Russell because they had a free agent big locked up. They may have felt like they had a great chance to get one, but I think they drafted Russell because they think he'll be the better player long term. I don't think they're choice had anything to do with free agency.

Regarding Aldridge, he's 30 years old. He wants to win now. His window is getting smaller. If he's turning down $24mil, he's turning it down for an immediate chance at contending. The Spurs can offer him that. The Lakers can't. The Lakers pitch makes more sense to free agents such as Monroe or Harris. Young players that can grow with the the Lakers youth.
Harris and Monroe would-be OK with me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get a team of:

C - Monroe
PF - Randle
SF - Harris
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

(deliberately left out Kobe)

and the average age of that team is about 22 years old! Great for building a team for the future!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get a team of:

C - Monroe
PF - Randle
SF - Harris
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

(deliberately left out Kobe)

and the average age of that team is about 22 years old! Great for building a team for the future!
That is a good lineup I would be happy with.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to think the Times report on the Aldridge meeting is false because if it isn't, it basically confirms everything I've thought and been saying about the franchise for the last 3 years or so;that they're stuck in the past with how they view the game and the landscape around them and too delusional to see that its them that needs to adjust. For example, there is no reason for Kobe or James Worthy to be at any of these meetings. Two guys that are part of the Lakers past, not part of the Lakers future. Kobe is done as a star player and has been so for some time. It's a really tough sell to guys that they'll be the guy when Kobe is sitting across the table from them and its no secret how ornery he is. And Worthy, what's he gonna do? Talk about nightclubs with private sex rooms from the 80s? He's not a coach, he's not a front office member. He has no impact on the court. So why is he there? Stop living in the past. If he's suppose to represent championship glory (again, he has no real court impact so I question what real value that has), why not just replace him with multiple Larry O'Brien trophies. That gets the message across far more than Lakers from days of yore. But what they trotted out for Aldridge has basically been the same pitch the Lakers have used for the last 3 years for any top guy and they've struck out every time. Whether its Howard (even if you don't like his attitude, he's still a top 5 center), Melo, Pau Gasol (who they couldn't convince to stay), Bosh (who they pursued too late and reckless last year), or Aldridge, they've all missed. Guys don't care much about the past, they care about two things: Money and can you help me win. The Lakers had the first one but consistently fail to prove the latter because they keep pitching the wrong things; the city itself or past championships. If you all are being honest with yourselves, there's no way you'd say LA would miss on every one of those guys when this process started. That's a huge disappointment no matter how you slice it.

So you can spin this whatever way you like and convince yourself that maybe some of the B level free agents will sign, the rooks will blossom early, and it'll be fine. But that's not what the plan was. The plan was to snag a big free agent either last summer or this summer to lure Durant + another guy in 2016. The draft picks we've had would fill out the rest of the roster, making a truly championship worthy team as soon as 2016. But that's looking derailed now. They've struck out on those free agents. To compound things, lots of the people that might be available in 2016/2017 haven't been taking the short deals that everyone anticipated they would to taking advantage of the salary boom. If you look at the potential pool, its Durant and Al Horford. Two very nice players, but its definitely less crowded than originally thought. And maybe one or both of Durant and Horford would still come to LA, but not getting an A level free agent the last two years makes that proposition harder than originally planned. Not impossible, but certainly not ideal. Long story short, what was suppose to be a 2 to 3 year turnaround (which started after Howard left) is more likely gonna be a 5 to 6 year.

But hey, on the positive, maybe the Buss Family will finally invest in an actual analytic department. They shouldn't need a bigger wake up call than a prime free agent saying he was wowed by every other team showing his basketball value thru the analytics department and how that guy fits their plan. LA is one of the richest franchises in the league. It ridiculous they don't use every tool available to them.

Or on a bigger positive, maybe Aldridge will change his mind and render it all mute.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to think the Times report on the Aldridge meeting is false because if it isn't, it basically confirms everything I've thought and been saying about the franchise for the last 3 years or so;that they're stuck in the past with how they view the game and the landscape around them and too delusional to see that its them that needs to adjust. For example, there is no reason for Kobe or James Worthy to be at any of these meetings. Two guys that are part of the Lakers past, not part of the Lakers future. Kobe is done as a star player and has been so for some time. It's a really tough sell to guys that they'll be the guy when Kobe is sitting across the table from them and its no secret how ornery he is. And Worthy, what's he gonna do? Talk about nightclubs with private sex rooms from the 80s? He's not a coach, he's not a front office member. He has no impact on the court. So why is he there? Stop living in the past. If he's suppose to represent championship glory (again, he has no real court impact so I question what real value that has), why not just replace him with multiple Larry O'Brien trophies. That gets the message across far more than Lakers from days of yore. But what they trotted out for Aldridge has basically been the same pitch the Lakers have used for the last 3 years for any top guy and they've struck out every time. Whether its Howard (even if you don't like his attitude, he's still a top 5 center), Melo, Pau Gasol (who they couldn't convince to stay), Bosh (who they pursued too late and reckless last year), or Aldridge, they've all missed. Guys don't care much about the past, they care about two things: Money and can you help me win. The Lakers had the first one but consistently fail to prove the latter because they keep pitching the wrong things; the city itself or past championships. If you all are being honest with yourselves, there's no way you'd say LA would miss on every one of those guys when this process started. That's a huge disappointment no matter how you slice it.

So you can spin this whatever way you like and convince yourself that maybe some of the B level free agents will sign, the rooks will blossom early, and it'll be fine. But that's not what the plan was. The plan was to snag a big free agent either last summer or this summer to lure Durant + another guy in 2016. The draft picks we've had would fill out the rest of the roster, making a truly championship worthy team as soon as 2016. But that's looking derailed now. They've struck out on those free agents. To compound things, lots of the people that might be available in 2016/2017 haven't been taking the short deals that everyone anticipated they would to taking advantage of the salary boom. If you look at the potential pool, its Durant and Al Horford. Two very nice players, but its definitely less crowded than originally thought. And maybe one or both of Durant and Horford would still come to LA, but not getting an A level free agent the last two years makes that proposition harder than originally planned. Not impossible, but certainly not ideal. Long story short, what was suppose to be a 2 to 3 year turnaround (which started after Howard left) is more likely gonna be a 5 to 6 year.

But hey, on the positive, maybe the Buss Family will finally invest in an actual analytic department. They shouldn't need a bigger wake up call than a prime free agent saying he was wowed by every other team showing his basketball value thru the analytics department and how that guy fits their plan. LA is one of the richest franchises in the league. It ridiculous they don't use every tool available to them.

Or on a bigger positive, maybe Aldridge will change his mind and render it all mute.
Great job. I agree!!!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hear hear.... Well said. You nailed it.

I'd like to add, Jerry Buss is not going to walk through the door. But Jim Buss is and that will undermine this team until Jeannie Buss fires him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lakersrule has this spot on. I for one am not all bent out of shape because we didn't sign Aldridge, D. Jordon, Gasol, Carroll, Love, Rondo and anybody else we were suppose to sign. We are getting very good young players and saying goodbye to Kobe. We are in year 3 of a 5 year plan and I REALLY LIKE THE DIRECTION THE TEAM IS HEADED!! Even if we lose Monroe, don't count Upshaw and Black out of the mix at a fraction of the cost.

We have next year to add pieces JUST LIKE THE LOGO helped do in GS. Is Black and Upshaw a Jordon or an Aldridge? By definition probably not. But ALL of these players started out as young rookies and became stand-out players. WE can do the same by drafting great players and developing them.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they do have an analytics department. That's not the problem. The current roster is. The Spurs roster looks a lot more appealing to a 30 year old top free agent than the current Lakers roster, especially when that player is turning down an extra $25mil. The Spurs are a contender now. The Lakers aren't. I'm really not shocked by this. Don't see why some are. What analytics could the Lakers trot out to convince Aldridge when they don't have much on the roster?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on again lakersrule. Man you are battin' 1000! We are in a rebuild process. If we can get one of the top FAs great. If not, we continue to add the pieces going forward just like they did in GS!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^THIS^^^

But they do have an analytics department. That's not the problem. The current roster is. The Spurs roster looks a lot more appealing to a 30 year old top free agent than the current Lakers roster, especially when that player is turning down an extra $25mil. The Spurs are a contender now. The Lakers aren't. I'm really not shocked by this. Don't see why some are. What analytics could the Lakers trot out to convince Aldridge when they don't have much on the roster?

^^^THIS too^^^

Aldridge wants to win right now, while he's in his prime. The Spurs can offer that, the Lakers can't. These FA's don't even know how good Randle, Clarkson and Russell really are. But they do know how good the Spurs are. If I were Aldridge, I'd have done the same.

People need to step back from the ledge and let this play out over the next couple of seasons.

Some Lakers fans be like:

:lol:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakersrule has this spot on. I for one am not all bent out of shape because we didn't sign Aldridge, D. Jordon, Gasol, Carroll, Love, Rondo and anybody else we were suppose to sign. We are getting very good young players and saying goodbye to Kobe. We are in year 3 of a 5 year plan and I REALLY LIKE THE DIRECTION THE TEAM IS HEADED!! Even if we lose Monroe, don't count Upshaw and Black out of the mix at a fraction of the cost.

We have next year to add pieces JUST LIKE THE LOGO helped do in GS. Is Black and Upshaw a Jordon or an Aldridge? By definition probably not. But ALL of these players started out as young rookies and became stand-out players. WE can do the same by drafting great players and developing them.

I remember reading rumors on draft night the lakers believed they could get Aldridge. Maybe false who knows. I think you need a steady balance of top free agents and lottery picks. Years ago when facing a rebuild the lakers drafted Andrew Bynum, traded for gasol etc and they were right back in it. My thing is someone has to get blame for letting Howard go, signing dantoni over Phil Jackson which may have swayed Howard to stay. How long does Byron Scott get to turn it around and blame it on bad roster if he doesn't? Next years free agents look pretty slim. After Durant what other big names are there? Not throwing in towel just yet but haven't seen much interest from the current free agency pool.

I don't believe you can just say well clarkson, randle, and Russell are the future great players. Clarkson best games came when season was a loss, randle was lost for the year and Russell is unknown. Not every player is going to pan out. What are odds they drafted 3 Allstars? Wait and see I guess. Players like Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard took league by storm almost immediately in rookie seasons. So myself am expecting the same with Russell

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analytics are helpful, but if the Lakers are supposedly the only team not using them, then there are a lot of shitty teams that are. You still need the players to compete and win, regardless of how much analytics are used.