• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just upside guys in the lower minors. Years away. A few low upside guys like Binford hang around but nobody with good reason is on their bandwagon. Zimmer and Mondesi are very interesting but obviously there needs to be results to justify the hype; stuff like that is why they're 23rd in Keith Law's rankings and not top 10 like they were two years ago, amongst other things like trades.
I think they are 26th in laws rankings

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, but it's not like Mondesi is 25 either. He's 20, far from inconceivable he figures it out.
Escobar was in the MLB at 21... His minor league numbers were very comparable age wise to Mondesi.. Mondesi just sucks dick at getting on base, drawing walks, and not k'ing.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad... Tigers were 26.. Royals 23...

The difference between the Tigers system and the Royals though is most of the Tigers top prospects are actually either mlb ready or very close. Only 2 or 3 of their top 10 are a few seasons away...

Zimmer would be interesting if his arm doesn't fall off.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad... Tigers were 26.. Royals 23...

The difference between the Tigers system and the Royals though is most of the Tigers top prospects are actually either mlb ready or very close. Only 2 or 3 of their top 10 are a few seasons away...

Zimmer would be interesting if his arm doesn't fall off
That's the million dollar question then, isn't it? We're going to find out since the organization seems to stubbornly view him as a starter. Almonte will get a chance to add a pitch/refine his game as well to rebound his stock in the eyes of scouts.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SBN link had them at 23. Maybe Law had them tied? Either way, pretty telling that a lot of guys either got traded (Reed and Manaea are ranked) or had pretty mediocre showings to downgrade it so severely.
Price of making a WS run.. Obviously the trades did what they were supposed to do.. but its going to hurt a year or two down the road when guys like Hosmer and Cain move on and they don't have anyone around to replace them

That is why I said they need to trade Hosmer and Cain and maybe even a guy like Wade Davis if they are not in contention this year.. to restock.. otherwise they are not going to get as much back and will be in a shitty place when they lose them.. I think if they trade Hosmer and Cain.. they can probably still hold on to moustakas.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the million dollar question then, isn't it? We're going to find out since the organization seems to stubbornly view him as a starter. Almonte will get a chance to add a pitch/refine his game as well to rebound his stock in the eyes of scouts.
almonte looked completely overmatched by MLB hitters.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price of making a WS run.. Obviously the trades did what they were supposed to do.. but its going to hurt a year or two down the road when guys like Hosmer and Cain move on and they don't have anyone around to replace them

That is why I said they need to trade Hosmer and Cain and maybe even a guy like Wade Davis if they are not in contention this year.. to restock.. otherwise they are not going to get as much back and will be in a shitty place when they lose them.. I think if they trade Hosmer and Cain.. they can probably still hold on to moustakas.
I tend to think the organization is hedging their bet with all of these 2 year buyouts and opt out clauses. 2018 they seem pretty set on retooling or rebuilding. Just a question of when in the reload/rebuild it is.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is next to no chance Hosmer is signing with the Royals... Cain is on the wrong side of 30... If I was Moore I would put all my effort into keeping Moustakas and try to get as much value as I can from Hosmer, Cain, Davis, Soria, and Morales this year if it doesn't look good in July.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to think the organization is hedging their bet with all of these 2 year buyouts and opt out clauses. 2018 they seem pretty set on retooling or rebuilding. Just a question of when in the reload/rebuild it is.
The problem is the guys they gave opt outs are not going to take them.. No way Kennedy takes an opt out when the majority of the money is in the last 3 years of the deal.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the guys they gave opt outs are not going to take them.. No way Kennedy takes an opt out when the majority of the money is in the last 3 years of the deal.
That's my criticism more than anything for Kennedy's contract. A lot of these contracts with Volquez and several other guys under contract all expire in that 2017/2018 area. Definitely a team that is in win-now mode that is hedging their bet in case the injury bug, fatigue, or just straight sucking occurs. If that happens, you can reload the farm system and/or retool the big club.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how much money KC has in 2018... it won't be enough to keep Hosmer. If he does what he did last year this year... he is going to get a Heyward like deal. KC isn't handing out a 180 mil contract anytime soon. And they are going to have so many holes to patch in 2018 its not even funny. Moustakas is going to get a nice 80-100 mil contract himself if he keeps hitting.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth is going to be the issue for KC. If Perez gets hurt.. and he will.. because he has 2 long playoff runs on his knees the last 2 years and a ton of foul tips off his face... There isn't another catcher worth a shit. The lineup will be god awful at that point. The nightmare situation for KC is losing a player like Perez or Gordon when they have nobody to replace them that will even remotely be close to their production at the plate.. Long playoff runs tend to take their toll... Why do you think the tigers looked like an hospital waiting room last year... 4 years of playoffs beat them up bad.. 2 years of WS runs is even worse.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im surprised that Clint Frazier and Brady Aiken were 702h and 97th respectively.

Aiken was the #1 OVERALL pick by the Astros before he went unsigned and then had Tommy John....now i didnt expect him to be in the top 50- but its hardly like Tommy John should cause that kind of drop. I see no reason why he shouldnt come back fine from tommy john and be absolutely no worse than a good #3 or solid #2 someday...

and the Clint Frazier thing almost didnt make sense to me- i know steals in the minors dont always translate to the majors- but i have no clue why Law called him a "below average runner".....this guy was the 5th overall pick in '13 and has really hit in the minors and hes only 21

Zimmer reminds me a lot of Sizemore...2014 1st rounder....hes gonna be a stud....he might be up late in the year but i certainly expect him to be the Indians opening day centerfielder in 2017.....Yan Gomes, Francisco Lindor, Jason Kipnis, Bradley Zimmer up the middle? YAH ill take that with the Indians pitching staff

now only if they could get a corner bat or two (besides Brantley) that is any good.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers clearly have the best lineup in the Al Central. They also have decent depth. I have no idea if their bullpen and rotation will be good or not.. but it will be better than it was last year.

KC's hopes hinge on them staying healthy because they have nothing for depth at really any position.

The White Sox hopes hinge on young starters and Latos coming through and an improved offense that couldn't get on base last year and probably won't improve on that.

Indians clearly have the best pitching.. but may have the worst lineup.

Twins are young and will probably poop the bed horribly. They played above their head last year. Their pitching is gross.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth is going to be the issue for KC. If Perez gets hurt.. and he will.. because he has 2 long playoff runs on his knees the last 2 years and a ton of foul tips off his face... There isn't another catcher worth a shit. The lineup will be god awful at that point. The nightmare situation for KC is losing a player like Perez or Gordon when they have nobody to replace them that will even remotely be close to their production at the plate.. Long playoff runs tend to take their toll... Why do you think the tigers looked like an hospital waiting room last year... 4 years of playoffs beat them up bad.. 2 years of WS runs is even worse.
That's the risk, isn't it. It's also why I keep saying they're hedging their bets more than people think and with each new contract/move that seems to be more and more the case.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im surprised that Clint Frazier and Brady Aiken were 702h and 97th respectively.

Aiken was the #1 OVERALL pick by the Astros before he went unsigned and then had Tommy John....now i didnt expect him to be in the top 50- but its hardly like Tommy John should cause that kind of drop. I see no reason why he shouldnt come back fine from tommy john and be absolutely no worse than a good #3 or solid #2 someday...

and the Clint Frazier thing almost didnt make sense to me- i know steals in the minors dont always translate to the majors- but i have no clue why Law called him a "below average runner".....this guy was the 5th overall pick in '13 and has really hit in the minors and hes only 21

Zimmer reminds me a lot of Sizemore...2014 1st rounder....hes gonna be a stud....he might be up late in the year but i certainly expect him to be the Indians opening day centerfielder in 2017.....Yan Gomes, Francisco Lindor, Jason Kipnis, Bradley Zimmer up the middle? YAH ill take that with the Indians pitching staff

now only if they could get a corner bat or two (besides Brantley) that is any good.
Dude.. the Indians offense is going to suck major dick. Outside of an injured Brantley and Lindor.. everyone else is pretty average. Your corner outfielders are poop.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them resigning Hosmer - especially if he wants to stay.....all though- you see Votto in Cincy and you know Cincy is regretting that decision.

I dont think Hosmer will get nearly the contract Votto did * (not will)....If Hosmer wants every last penny he could do what CAno did and go to like the Mariners or whatever team is trying to make a splash- but hes a hero and won the world series in that town. I gotta think that means something and they will do a lot to resign him if it is at all feasible......its not like they have a bunch of bad money on the books and are hamstrung- without a doubt signing Hosmer will mean Cain is gone and limit them else where but i could see it happening.

Personally- i think id like to see it another year from Hosmer...obviously he was great last year but its not like this guy has been a top 20 hitter in the major leagues for more than like what? One season?

Last edited: