• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Tigers sweep the astros.
Miggy 2 bombs today. 4 in last 5 games. Miggy is back to being miggy. Ain't worried about no injuns!!!

That's the spirit, Doug! Strive for the Wild Card. I'm glad you finally realized the Tigers will not win the Central (again).

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or is Pelfrey turning into an acceptable #5 guy in the rotation. At least he has moved ahead of Sanchez. Even if Norris and Boyd work their way into full time spots in the rotation....Fulmer may be "cut off" sometime in September.

Just wait for it. The other shoe will fall on him, it always did when he was with the Twins.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait for it. The other shoe will fall on him, it always did when he was with the Twins.

You don't have to worry about the other shoe -- it isn't as if he has been killing it. He only has like 4 quality starts all season.

He has went from, unbearable to watch, to serviceable as a #5 starter.

It is really shocking to me too. He has great movement on his pitches -- keeps the ball down, but teams seem to be able to hit him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the spirit, Doug! Strive for the Wild Card. I'm glad you finally realized the Tigers will not win the Central (again).

Only way Detroit catches the Indians is if they pitch and hit like they have the last week. Sweeping two of the hottest teams, one being on the road in Boston, is very impressive. As is being 56-36 against everyone not named Cleveland. :pound:

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way Detroit catches the Indians is if they pitch and hit like they have the last week. Sweeping two of the hottest teams, one being on the road in Boston, is very impressive. As is being 56-36 against everyone not named Cleveland. :pound:
That's right. Just swept 2 good teams. ESPN CBS YAHOO SPORTS not even a mention of it. But you know..come October. They will just gush over thE tigers. After hardly talking about them all year

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right. Just swept 2 good teams. ESPN CBS YAHOO SPORTS not even a mention of it. But you know..come October. They will just gush over thE tigers. After hardly talking about them all year

Doug...do you think ESPN will mention how a Tribe fan schooled and destroyed a certain Tiger fan on SportsHoopla and exposed him as a gutless windbag?

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers need to sign Josh Collmentor who was released by Arizona. Homer, Mi kid. Might bring them luck. (And some + PR)

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or is Pelfrey turning into an acceptable #5 guy in the rotation. At least he has moved ahead of Sanchez. Even if Norris and Boyd work their way into full time spots in the rotation....Fulmer may be "cut off" sometime in September.

Pelfrey's ERA is now 4.76.

Dallas Keuchel's ERA is now 4.86.

Who saw THAT coming at the beginning of the year??? :noidea:

I still don't consider Pelfrey an acceptable piece of any rotation, but with the Tigers' injuries, they have to keep running him out there. And he's been decent lately -- allowing 2 runs or fewer in 5 of his last 8 starts. Much more than we can say for Anibal Sanchez.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelfrey got out of some jams today. And only made it thru five.

Pelfrey was removed due to tightness in his back. Likely woulda gone 6 IP, but why risk it when the Tigers were up 7-0 at that point.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals went 7-19 (.269) in July.

This morning on Quick Pitch, I think they said that was the worst calendar month by a reigning since the 2004 Marlins, but their worst month was July at 11-15 (.423).

Without doing any further research, I'm just gonna say that the 2016 Royals' July was the single worst month by a reigning champion in the history of Major League Baseball.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy stat:

The Indians are now 53-0 when entering the 9th with a lead. And they just got the best setup/closer guy in the game.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that the Tigers are not going to do much at the deadline and I am happy. I think they have a team that can contend as is (if everyone come back and stays healthy).

Here's a good site for keeping up on the deadline:

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy stat:

The Indians are now 53-0 when entering the 9th with a lead. And they just got the best setup/closer guy in the game.

Closing hasn't been a big issue, and even the 8th with Shaw has been pretty solid. It drops off pretty quickly after that though.

I really liked the idea of adding Lucroy and (hopefully) Brantley in the lineup at some point, but alas, wasn't meant to be, I guess.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closing hasn't been a big issue, and even the 8th with Shaw has been pretty solid. It drops off pretty quickly after that though.

I really liked the idea of adding Lucroy and (hopefully) Brantley in the lineup at some point, but alas, wasn't meant to be, I guess.
Lucroy really would have been a great fit.

I just dont understand it at all- no way was that option ever going to be declined for whoever trades for him- or a trade just would not even happen.

He seems upset about not playing catcher everyday too- well dude- you are gonna come up for your next contract at the age of 32- MIGHT be a good idea to try and mitigate the wear and tear on him. How many guys in their early 30's can play catcher everyday and still hit? Anyone in the bigs?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont understand it at all- no way was that option ever going to be declined for whoever trades for him- or a trade just would not even happen.

true. I think he's got a shitty agent (which explains why he has such a shitty contract in the first place) who advised him to try to use the no-trade clause as leverage, but he severely overplayed his hand.

He seems upset about not playing catcher everyday too- well dude- you are gonna come up for your next contract at the age of 32- MIGHT be a good idea to try and mitigate the wear and tear on him. How many guys in their early 30's can play catcher everyday and still hit? Anyone in the bigs?

That's nonsense too. There's no way the Indians were going to trade away that package of prospects for someone they intended to play backup in 2017. It just wasn't going to happen.

The Indians wouldn't guarantee that Lucroy would be the starting first baseman in 2017 - Lucroy took that to mean he was going to play backup to Gomes. I don't believe that either. That was Lucroy's opportunity to back out of the deal without looking like a mo-ron. It was just spin.

He overplayed his hand, now he'll likely stay in Milwaukee until the offseason (missing a 2016 playoff opportunity), when he'll be traded to one of the 22 teams not on his list and be in the exact same situation he was in.

He should fire his agent.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Am I wrong for hoping Lucroy is a big bust the rest of the season. I don't like the Indians (especially this year), but I don't like to see something like this happen to a team in out division. I want to beat you guys, but I want it to happen at full strength.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong for hoping Lucroy is a big bust the rest of the season. I don't like the Indians (especially this year), but I don't like to see something like this happen to a team in out division. I want to beat you guys, but I want it to happen at full strength.

Well, there's an hour and ten minutes left for the Brewers to try to move him before the deadline.

If he doesn't move, he'll waste away in Milwaukee for the rest of the season and then likely be traded during the offseason and be in no better shape than he'd been had he accepted the trade and made the playoffs. I'm hoping for that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there's an hour and ten minutes left for the Brewers to try to move him before the deadline.

If he doesn't move, he'll waste away in Milwaukee for the rest of the season and then likely be traded during the offseason and be in no better shape than he'd been had he accepted the trade and made the playoffs. I'm hoping for that.
he will look like a huge ass if he isnt dealt- and then he is just tradedi n the offseason and the team makes him play out his deal

32 year old catchers entering the free agent market that whine about playing a lil 1st base and dh arent gonna amount to a whole much.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will look like a huge ass if he isnt dealt- and then he is just tradedi n the offseason and the team makes him play out his deal

32 year old catchers entering the free agent market that whine about playing a lil 1st base and dh arent gonna amount to a whole much.

I was listening to Cristopher Russo today and he had an interesting point about Lucroy. He feels that the way we played this does not make him look like a winner.

Essentially, his point was that instead of jumping at a chance to compete for a championship in 2016, he was more concerned with losing playing time to Yan Gomes in 2017.

That said, I'm hearing that Lucroy and Jeremy Jeffriess were just traded to the Rangers.