• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is, he's regarded as a great GM, which I don't think he is. At all. He trades away all his prospects and throws shitloads of the owner's money around.

The biggest role in the Tigers' success was the fact that the rest of the division was historically weak (and still usually won it by a game or two) and he was significantly out-spending his divisional rivals.

I'm glad for you that you're happy he's with the Red Sox. I'm happy he's with the Red Sox, too.

I don't think he's a great GM and I agree he's benefited from a fairly weak division. But four ALCS appearances and two WS appearances in a decade is pretty damn good, especially after nearly two decades of futility. His drafting has been pretty crappy though.

But I don't see why it's a big deal he's traded prospects if few of those guys have actually amounted to anything at the major league level. His worst trades were what, Cody Ross/Jurrjens/Matt Joyce? Fine players, but not stars. Devon Travis could turn into a damn good player, but Dombrowski got one of the best 2B in the league in Kinsler (swapping his contract for Fielder's, which is looking better on a daily basis). Tigers have gotten nearly twice as much WAR in Dombrowski trades.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To his credit, Dombrowski's moves did get the Tigers four straight ALC titles, three straight trips to the ALCS and one WS appearance. He did what Ilitch wanted and paid for (almost) -- give the team a legitimate chance at a WS title. But we are now seeing the after-effects of those trades, the lost draft picks, and bad drafts in general. The farm system is gutted, which is readily apparent when you see bums like Rondon, Lowe and Sanchez still on the MLB roster.

Well said. He seems to me to be a 'don't spare the horses' kind of GM, which obviously has it's usefulness. Maybe his style doesn't impress me because I root for a team that can't afford to operate that way.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's a great GM and I agree he's benefited from a fairly weak division. He has left the Tigers with some pretty blah minor league talent.

But I don't see why it's a big deal he's traded prospects if few of those guys have actually amounted to anything at the major league level. His worst trades were what, Cody Ross/Jurrjens/Matt Joyce? Fine players, but not stars. Devon Travis could turn into a damn good player, but Dombrowski got one of the best 2B in the league in Kinsler (swapping his contract for Fielder's, which is looking better on a daily basis).

Andrew Miller is probably the player DD traded that is doing the best. Maybin is doing well THIS year, but he's a career .257 hitter with minimal power.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox farm system right now is probably in better shape right now than it ever was in Detroit, even when they had Miller/Maybin.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to me to be a 'don't spare the horses' kind of GM, which obviously has it's usefulness.

He was the type of GM that Ilitch wanted him to be. Whether or not he can be a decent GM without an open checkbook remains to be seen.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox farm system right now is probably in better shape right now than it ever was in Detroit, even when they had Miller/Maybin.

And how long has Dombrowski been in charge? Give the guy a little time, huh? :)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's a great GM and I agree he's benefited from a fairly weak division. But four ALCS appearances and two WS appearances in a decade is pretty damn good, especially after nearly two decades of futility.

Not a "fairly weak division," an exceptionally weak division. About a year ago, I took a look at combined divisional records over the last twenty seasons. The AL Central during Dombrowski's heyday in Detroit were all in the bottom third.

As far as the postseason goes, I don't care. Playoffs are rife with crapshootidity. From my perspective, the litmus test is the 162-game season. Then teams fall into one of three categories: no playoffs, playoffs, champions.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the type of GM that Ilitch wanted him to be. Whether or not he can be a decent GM without an open checkbook remains to be seen.

Fair point, maybe he is capable of sustaining success.

I hope he leaves the Red Sox like he left the Tigers, with a top-heavy payroll of aging stars and a barren farm.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's also a little less pressure on him to end any title droughts, seeing as the Sox have won three titles in the last thirteen years. I'm sure that played some kind of role in some of his decisions with the Tigers.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the postseason goes, I don't care. Playoffs are rife with crapshootidity. From my perspective, the litmus test is the 162-game season. Then teams fall into one of three categories: no playoffs, playoffs, champions.

Yep. The Tigers had their chances in the postseason. Laid a big turd in 2012 (.159 batting average in the four-game sweep).

One thing that was apparent, especially watching KC's playoff success the last two seasons, is that the Tiger teams DD assembled didn't do enough little things to win in the postseason -- take extra bases, play good defense, scratch out infield hits, walk more, strike out less, etc. They had great starting pitching and several hitters with great "baseball card stats". When you face both good and bad teams over a 162-game season, that's often enough to get you into the playoffs. But in the playoffs, where you're facing a great team every night, you need those little things.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a "fairly weak division," an exceptionally weak division. About a year ago, I took a look at combined divisional records over the last twenty seasons. The AL Central during Dombrowski's heyday in Detroit were all in the bottom third.

Weak division. Because of the indians and twins. At least the twins did make play offs .only to get whooped by the yankees.
Indians always bottom feeders. This year no different. Indians will fade and fold it's in there nature to suck

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander gave up a homer to mauer. Wow. He is washed up hitter now. Biggest threat is a BB from joe.
But Verlander settled down. Tigers should come away. 4-2 on this home stretch. Not bad. Slow and easy keeping pressure on the wagon burners

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians always bottom feeders.

Indians: Have never finished in the basement in the history of the AL Central.

Tigers: Have finished in the basement of the AL Central in a third of its 22 year history, including last year.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weak division. Because of the indians and twins.

Yep. Also the Royals, White Sox and even the Tigers. Had the Tigers been as good as folks thought, they'd have run away with the division every year. Instead, they usually won it by a game or two.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weak division. Because of the indians and twins. At least the twins did make play offs .only to get whooped by the yankees.
Indians always bottom feeders. This year no different. Indians will fade and fold it's in there nature to suck

I don't know ... they've had our number all year.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that work out? Xackly!
So. They want no part off that again.Cleveland got a ring. Thanks to le bron. 1 ring in 60 years is plenty for Cleveland

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that work out? Xackly!
So. They want no part off that again.Cleveland got a ring. Thanks to le bron. 1 ring in 60 years is plenty for Cleveland

Fuck the Cavs.

What I know is that the Indians have fist fucked the Tigers over their last eighteen games to the tune of a 15-3 record.