• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez looked ok tonight. Suprised. Maybe he turned a corner????
Maybe indians want him in a trade??we trade you zugg island if you take Sanchez and his salary

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit doing the "Fade"

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big brad..let's Sanchez go out in the 7th. Then give up the runs. Past hI story says take the 6 good innings. And call a cab. Get Sanchez far away. But big Brad never learns. It's like he has iffy level of smarts about baseball.
Assmouse sucks !!!!!!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big brad..let's Sanchez go out in the 7th. Then give up the runs. Past hI story says take the 6 good innings. And call a cab. Get Sanchez far away. But big Brad never learns. It's like he has iffy level of smarts about baseball.
Assmouse sucks !!!!!!

Maybe the Tigers should do the same thing with Verlander, seeing as he gets lit up the third time through the order (.293/.329/.543, 25 of his 49 runs allowed in 154 PA).

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Johnny Damon wanted to stay with the Red Sox.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Tigers should do the same thing with Verlander, seeing as he gets lit up the third time through the order (.293/.329/.543, 25 of his 49 runs allowed in 154 PA).

I believe Doug, Smitty and I have said this regarding Verlander (and Ausmus leaving him in too long) several times. A good amount of Verlander's ER this season are inherited runners the bullpen couldn't strand. Plus, he's given up a lot of home runs later in games. If the Tigers had KC's bullpen and a smart manager, Verlander's ERA might be in the lower 3's.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assmouse sucks !!!!!!

No doubt there, Douglass. With the top-of-the-line bullpen the Tigers are sporting, Assmouse should feel comfortable pulling the starter at the first hint of trouble. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Doug, Smitty and I have said this regarding Verlander (and Ausmus leaving him in too long) several times. A good amount of Verlander's ER this season are inherited runners the bullpen couldn't strand. Plus, he's given up a lot of home runs later in games. If the Tigers had KC's bullpen and a smart manager, Verlander's ERA might be in the lower 3's.

Yeah, $174MM doesn't buy a team what if used to. . .

Edit: sorry, that was the Tigers' payroll last year. This year it's $200MM. Mea culpa.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy, the Indians starters' ERA is almost a full run lower than the Tigers, their bullpen ERA is .83 runs below the tigers, they've scored about 5% more runs than the Tigers, and their payroll is one hundred million dollars less than the Tigers.

Dombrowski has all of baseball fleeced. I was sad to see him take his ineptitude out of Detroit, but I suppose if he had to take it elsewhere, I can't think of a better franchise than the Red Sox. Hopefully he'll head over to the White Sox after he's done fucking up the Red Sox system.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is crazy how in the AL there are really only 4 bad teams. The A's, Angels, Rays, & Twins. Every other team is basically at least .500 or better (Whitesox are currently 1 game under)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy, the Indians starters' ERA is almost a full run lower than the Tigers, their bullpen ERA is .83 runs below the tigers, they've scored about 5% more runs than the Tigers, and their payroll is one hundred million dollars less than the Tigers.

Dombrowski has all of baseball fleeced. I was sad to see him take his ineptitude out of Detroit, but I suppose if he had to take it elsewhere, I can't think of a better franchise than the Red Sox. Hopefully he'll head over to the White Sox after he's done fucking up the Red Sox system.

Dombrowski has a reputation for trading prospects, but have any of those really bitten him in the ass? The Miggy trade is one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory. Jacob Turner has a 5.14 ERA in 302.2 major league innings. I don't think he's regretting trading him for Anibal Sanchez. The Sanchez contract has gone south over the last 1.5 years, but he was pretty damn good in his first 2.5 seasons in Detroit, not to mention he was very effective in the postseason (sss of course). Avi Garcia has been a legitimately bad player, and the Tigers got a serviceable shortstop (Iglesias) for him. Dombrowski had some really good trades in his favor.

edit: Jurrjens had a couple of good years (and one very good, albeit fluky year in 2009), but he flamed out. But the bulk of Dombrowski's trades played a pretty big role in the Tigers success over the last decade (Guillen/Polanco/Scherzer/Jackson/Miggy).

Last edited:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not happy the Sox gave up Espinoza, mind you, but he is at least 3-4 years away from the majors. Sox get a guy in Pomeranz that's under control for the next 2.5 seasons. Durability's a question mark for Pomeranz, but he's demonstrated the ability to get major league hitters out, to say the least. Sox still have Kopech and Groome as far as pitching prospects go.

edit: here's a pretty good breakdown of Dombrowski's trades (keep in midn this is from August 2015):
Rating every trade made by Dave Dombrowski with the Tigers - Detroit Athletic Co. Blog

Last edited:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of sad to think that this is what baseball has become. Fans ''wanting'' their better starters pulled after 6 innings. I'm wondering if the time will come when a starter is only expected to go 5 innings and then perhaps turn it over to a series of 4 pitchers. Then someone comes up with the idea to do what they often do in the minors...put in a top relief pitcher in the first inning. Perhaps it was something the Yankees should have thought about.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dombrowski has a reputation for trading prospects, but have any of those really bitten him in the ass? The Miggy trade is one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory. Jacob Turner has a 5.14 ERA in 302.2 major league innings. I don't think he's regretting trading him for Anibal Sanchez. The Sanchez contract has gone south over the last 1.5 years, but he was pretty damn good in his first 2.5 seasons in Detroit, not to mention he was very effective in the postseason (sss of course). Avi Garcia has been a legitimately bad player, and the Tigers got a serviceable shortstop (Iglesias) for him. Dombrowski had some really good trades in his favor.

edit: Jurrjens had a couple of good years (and one very good, albeit fluky year in 2009), but he flamed out. But the bulk of Dombrowski's trades played a pretty big role in the Tigers success over the last decade (Guillen/Polanco/Scherzer/Jackson/Miggy).

Point is, he's regarded as a great GM, which I don't think he is. At all. He trades away all his prospects and throws shitloads of the owner's money around.

The biggest role in the Tigers' success was the fact that the rest of the division was historically weak (and still usually only won it by a game or two) and he was significantly out-spending his divisional rivals.

I'm glad for you that you're happy he's with the Red Sox. I'm happy he's with the Red Sox, too.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can debate the validity of Dombrowski's trades all you like...there are positives and negatives. However, one thing cannot be debated...he left the Tiger's farm system totally devoid of talent. I suppose that came from a combination of trading every decent prospect they had for veterans and very poor draft selections.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To his credit, Dombrowski's moves did get the Tigers four straight ALC titles, three straight trips to the ALCS and one WS appearance. He did what Ilitch wanted and paid for (almost) -- give the team a legitimate chance at a WS title. But we are now seeing the after-effects of those trades, the lost draft picks, and bad drafts in general. The farm system is gutted, which is readily apparent when you see bums like Rondon, Lowe and Sanchez still on the MLB roster.