• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure like most he is going with Active rosters that play the season

Tigers 28.88 projected opening day roster

Currently there are no 25-man rosters, so what the fuck could he be going with, if they haven't been established yet?

Secondly, I pared down the spreadsheets that I created to include only the starting position players, DH, top five SPs and top 3 RPs from the teams' depth charts. That's seventeen players. Average ages?

DET - 29.6
KCR - 29.7

They're not "by far the oldest team in the AL Central," as the author suggested.

I suppose you could say that adding eight players to round out the 25-man rosters could impact these averages, but frankly, I think it would be a little disingenuous. These seventeen are the "core" guys - a group of younger guys on the bench isn't going to mean much to me in this situation.

I looked for a way to contact the author to get his take on this, but couldn't find one. If you find one, pass it on and I'll ask the guy.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked for a way to contact the author to get his take on this, but couldn't find one.

This is actually another red flag for me regarding that website. It's been my experience that good writers/publications not only offer you an opportunity to address them, but they'll also respond if you present your questions/concerns in an intelligent and respectful way. In the past, I've had back-and-forth dialogues with writers from Baseball Prospectus, The Hardball Times, Sports Illustrated, MLB.com, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal, just by emailing them about their articles.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not "by far the oldest team in the AL Central," as the author suggested.

The only possible thinking is that the author was just looking at some of the expected key contributors for the Tigers (Verlander, Cabrera, V-mart) all starting to get long in the tooth and all suffering injuries the past couple of seasons. Looking at the entire roster, yes, his claim is not justified.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only possible thinking is that the author was just looking at some of the expected key contributors for the Tigers (Verlander, Cabrera, V-mart) all starting to get long in the tooth and all suffering injuries the past couple of seasons. Looking at the entire roster, yes, his claim is not justified.

That is a very polite way to say "he was talking out of his ass."

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it may have been the oldest team in the AL Central, if Nathan/Soria was still considered on the roster, heck I found two sites that still list them on the Tigers even though they are listed on those sites a FA. Too much changing right now.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it may have been the oldest team in the AL Central, if Nathan/Soria was still considered on the roster

So you're defending your reference by saying that maybe they're counting free agents among the Tigers' active roster? That's a non-starter, sport.

heck I found two sites that still list them on the Tigers even though they are listed on those sites a FA.

Unless you want to be referencing more nonsense, I suggest you avoid those sites too.

Too much changing right now.

Which is why a good writer would avoid statements like 'the Tigers are by far the oldest team in the division,' particularly when they're not.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers rotation isn't good enough to compete imo.

Doesn't really matter how old Sanchez is. He's gonna get hurt. And Mike Pelfry sucks.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL Central 40-Man Rosters by average age

KCR - 27.8
DET - 27.7
CLE - 27.1
MIN - 27.0
CHW - 26.3

Tigers' average age is 27.7, not an "even 27." Even if you round down to years and use that, their average is 27.25, which is also not an "even 27."

Tigers' are the second oldest team in the division, which is not "the youngest."

The White Sox at 26.3 average age, are the youngest in the division, almost a year and a half younger than the Tigers.

Your math by hand and your guarantees suck balls.
Dude... you do realize that da55bums was the one that started this when he said the Tigers were the oldest team in the division.. which you helped me prove incorrect right?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latos was a somewhat highly touted prospect. Big, hard thrower who got a lot of Ks in the minors. Has had some success in the NL (prior to last year 952 IP, 3.34 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 113 ERA+), but as you said, sucked it up last year. That's about all I've got.
he was coming off a knee injury last year...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't really matter how old Sanchez is. He's gonna get hurt. And Mike Pelfry sucks.

Now you've gone and done it.

At least five pages of "Mike Pelfrey is so much better than Simon, and the Tigers' revamped rotation will rival the '98 Braves" are incoming.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure like most he is going with Active rosters that play the season

Tigers 28.88 projected opening day roster
actually.. i was going off 40 man rosters.. and i said repeatedly... but i don't expect you to understand this.. the tigers ARE NOT THE OLDEST TEAM... iTS BEEN PROVEN.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude... you do realize that da55bums was the one that started this when he said the Tigers were the oldest team in the division.. which you helped me prove incorrect right?

Yes, I fully realize that. Bums said something retarded, and not to be outdone, you doubled down on the retardation.

I've proven both of you incorrect.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually.. i was going off 40 man rosters.. and i said repeatedly... but i don't expect you to understand this.. the tigers ARE NOT THE OLDEST TEAM... iTS BEEN PROVEN.

He was talking about the guy who wrote the article that he linked to.

Reading, it's fundamental.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it may have been the oldest team in the AL Central, if Nathan/Soria was still considered on the roster, heck I found two sites that still list them on the Tigers even though they are listed on those sites a FA. Too much changing right now.
Nathan and Soria aren't on the roster idiot... there is NO WAY the Tigers are going to have an older roster than KC... just stop...